Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winter gas

Options
  • 09-12-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

anyone know where i can buy winter gas preferably in ireland??

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Winter gas is Green Gas, every airsoft retailer stocks it. If its not listed as 134a gas its green gas under a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Not exactly, there are two forms of green gas; summer and winter. The summer gas is the one stocked by Irish retailers and is designed for use at temperatures of around 10 degrees Celcius and above. Winter gas is made slightly differently and is designed for use at below 10C. I've actually never seen a retailer carry it here. The issue is that if you use winter gas during the summer (accidentally since the cans look identical or on purpose to get a power boost) you risk putting you gbb/nbb over the 1J limit and/or over stressing some of the components, possibly to breaking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NakedDex wrote: »
    Not exactly, there are two forms of green gas; summer and winter. The summer gas is the one stocked by Irish retailers and is designed for use at temperatures of around 10 degrees Celcius and above. Winter gas is made slightly differently and is designed for use at below 10C. I've actually never seen a retailer carry it here. The issue is that if you use winter gas during the summer (accidentally since the cans look identical or on purpose to get a power boost) you risk putting you gbb/nbb over the 1J limit and/or over stressing some of the components, possibly to breaking point.

I know you've posted this before but what is added to green gas bar lubricant to differ it from propane?

The main difference between green and propane, apart from thee lubricant, is that green gas is filtered to remove the scent compound added to propane for safety.
    Propane itself is odourless, like most widely used combustible gasses, a scent is added to it to allow for easy detection. While the scent is not a pleasant one (no point in making dangerous gas smell like strawberries) it's not what causes harm or danger, only the gas itself does that. The scent in green gas is filtered out because it's application involves being vented around the operator, albeit in a safe manner.

Green gas and propane have the same explosive and expansive properties, so exercise caution when using it, as you would with any other gas. For those of you who want to try something silly like lighting it from the muzzle, don't bother. There are a host of reasons why it won't work, both chemically and physically. Nor will it pose any kind of fire hazard when being used through gbbs/nbbs in the normal fashion due to another raft of chemical and physical reasons.

Yeah, I knew about the odour bit.

My question is:

If (disregarding odour) Propane = Green Gas = Summer Gas and Summer Gas equals Winter Gas then what is winter gas?

• Advertisement

Common green gas is about 99.5-99.7% pure. As I said, I haven't seen winter green to know it's chemical formulae so I'm not fully sure of the difference. It could be just standard Green with an additive for use in colder weather, kind of like anti-freeze in a car radiator. What that additive is, I'm not sure because I haven't seen cans of it available anywhere over here but it could just be a higher portion of butane (the pollutant that makes regular Green less than pure, it has a considerably higher boiling point than propane, close to 150 degrees in the difference).
    The other option is that winter green could simply be relabled red gas. Red gas is also known as HCFC-22, and more well known as Freon-22. This would make sense since freon reacts very well in cold conditions, hence its use in refrigeration systems. Rather than being propane or butane based, it's in the methane family and is more closely related to 134a (an ethane based gas).

If there is such a thing as knowing too much, you're coming very close to it.

Dex, the interactive Enclyopedia.

Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

wow that was way too much knowledge:D:D

so it cant be got over hear then?

Not that I've come across anyway. Unless one of the Irish retailers has gotten some in without advertising it, I'd say you'll have to search the UK retailers and beyond.

Note that getting it from HK will break your heart as, it being a cylinder of gas, it can't be transported via aircraft so you'll be restricted to surface snail mail. Last time I got a snail mail delivery quote from HK it was quoting 22 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

Hahah "Snail mail" ,
    22 weeks - even for "Snail mail" that seems way too long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

Most overpriced shop in the world.

FIFTY QUID??? For the love of Mary and her bike, that's a rip off and then some. I always knew they were bad but they seem to have gotten worse.

See the can of Abbey Ultra Air gas with the Red lable on that site, I'm almost 100% that I have seen those in the eirsoft shop along with the same cans in a green lable. When I looked at them they both said they were green HFC 22 gas. I can't recall if winter or summer was printed anywhere on the cans.

They're not that type, I'm looking at them every week. It's a tad confusing at a glance but I'll explain. We do two brands of green gas, Ultrair and Abbey. Ultrair green gas comes with a green label saying Ultra Gas, Abbey comes with a red label saying Power Gas. Both are actually standard summer green, aka 99.X% propane. The cans shown in the link to wolf are red label Ultrair Ultra Gas, aka red gas/HCFC-22/freon-22.

Yeah thats a bit confusing alright. They have both Abbey and Ultrair in red label on Wolf and both are winter, thats what got me.

Abbey label all their green gas in red, which I find a bit odd. Their 134a has a greenish-blue label.

Advertisement