Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT thesis

Options
  • 09-12-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys

Being the saddo i am, im thinking of doing my thesis on the motor industry, and the effect of the VRT changes compared to just economic downturn. I was just wondering if anyone knows who has the closest VRT system to ours, from what i can tell its DENMARK, anyone know of anything closer?

Thanks
    Chergar

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Dutch have a similar tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Hi

is it a masters or PhD thesis - drop me a line if you want an insiders perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

It's a Masters dissertation, So it's not going to be as Substantial as a PHD, but im looking for the closest market to ours, so that i can get a good base comparison, which hasnt had it's taxation changed, and see if there has been a significant difference between the downturn in that market and our own, and if that correlates to the change in VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,457 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The BPM system in the Netherlands is similar to the VRT system here, albeit more complex. Here's an official customs website where it is all explained. And it's in English ;)

G'luck with your dissertation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

kinda related:
    "Buy one, get one free: it is a familiar sales pitch for happy-hour cocktails or last season's fashions, but now a Belgian car dealer is luring customers with just that line.

Antwerp-based Cardoen, which sells about 10,000 new and nearly new cars per year, started the promotion at the end of last month and said it would run until 15 December.

During that period, customers can choose from a range of new, full-price cars, the cheapest being a €22,800 Hyundai van, and then pick a second free vehicle from a selection that goes up to €14,000.

Advertisement'People have been coming in from all over Belgium and abroad, Cardoen's Commercial Director Ivo Willems said, adding that Cardoen's eight showrooms had seen more than ten times their usual number of visitors since the promotion began.

'People will still buy cars, you just have to give them as much advantage as possible, to sell in an innovative way.'

Mr Willems said Cardoen was able to run the promotion without losing money because distributors in southern Europe had been so desperate to get cars off their lots that they were selling them to Cardoen at large discounts.

The move underscores how difficult the situation has become for an auto industry buckling under a global economic downturn.

Belgian new car registrations fell 16.4% year-on-year in November, according to data released on Monday. In Spain, sales nearly halved.

Mr Willems said Cardoen had yet to see an impact on its sales from the downturn."

• Advertisement
Advertisement