Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed quickly! Final Cut!

• 09-12-2008 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I'm using Final cut Express, and have to hand up a project tomorrow. the lecturer asked for the final cut expres file (.fcp) with the video media!!

what does that mean?!
    I'm panicing now!
    Can anyone help!?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

your final cut express project file and the all video elements you used in you piece so he can view the edit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 BalletFreq

But are they separate? like i imported a photoshop file and a quicktime .mov file, so is he looking for them? he wasn't very clear when he asked..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

The .fcp file will be pretty useless without all of the supporting assets. The .fcp file is the file yopu open and save when working on your project. All of the assets you imported remain on the drive(s) where they were saved and are 'linked in'. If you give someone the .fcp file without the assets, final cut will complain when they open it that it can't find the asset files ('missing') and they won't see anything except placeholders in the timeline.

FCP has a neat media management feature that allows you collate only the actual used assets into a single directory but i don't think this is a feature of FCE.

Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jonathan13

Yup, all the assets or linked files should be included, such as imported image, music used, captured raw video's, animation's & effects used. Basically, everything should be placed on a single organized(this depends on your choice of folder organization to make it tidy) folder where you can easily make a back up of it easily. hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

probably a bit late now.. but

yes the final cut file will not be much good without all the associated media.

My guess is that he wants an EDL - Edit decision list, which is generally a paperwork requirement with projects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

BalletFreq wrote: »
    the lecturer asked for the final cut expres file (.fcp) with the video media!!

what does that mean?!

Something tells me you could be failing this course :)

extopia wrote: »
    Something tells me you could be failing this course :)

I'm not actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

BalletFreq wrote: »
    I'm not actually...

Oh, good. Maybe you just missed the class that dealt with the concept of organising your media, relationship between items in the browser and actual files on the hard drive(s), etc.

But no worries, we all need to start somewhere! :)

Ok, so I'm not starting another thread for final cut, so I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to edit your video so it plays backwards. I recorded some footage and it sounds really funny backwards so i want to edit it so that it plays like that all the time?

Any way possible to do this?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Not in front of it right now but isnt it just alt-click on the video in the timeline and it pops up with the timing option. Alt-click or applie-click as far as i recall.

• Advertisement

Hmmm!
    I tried that and nothing really happened?!
    Thanks anyway!

(:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

If final cut express is the same as pro then you click on the video segment in your timeline to highlight it, then hold apple (or alt maybe or even shift!) and click the segment. A little menu appears here where you can change the speed settings, in percentage, reverse on or off and frame blending.

I'm sure if you google final cut slow motion or something you'll find it anyway. Or just look in the help file!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

it's apple-j (speed)

Advertisement