Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it no one seems to point out that we voted no

Options
  • 09-12-2008 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I read in the paper that the Eu has given the irish goverment till 2009 to ratify the Lisbon Treaty.... Why is it no member of goverment has the balls to say sorry the people voted no... I mean they EU is going against democrecy. They seem to think that it is somehow wrong that we voted no even though we have a right to do so. Also no country has said well the treaty is dead back to the drawing board. The only reason it might get passed this time is because of the current economic situation. I think its really sad TBH... personally i think that the suits need to be brought back down to earth their egos are getting too big.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It is because its like the Aran Islands dictating to Ireland, ordering it to completely redo a process that has taken years to reach broad agreement between all member states of the EU. Redoing it on the basis of a decision made by people who A) Didnt know anything about the Treaty B) Didnt bother learning anything about the Treaty and C) Swallowed whole any bull**** line offered by the variety of cranks and weirdos who led the No campaign. Can you see how that might be tricky?

Ireland needs the EU more than the EU needs Ireland tbh. The only referendum that needs to be run is "Should Ireland remain as a member of the EU?", Yes or No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's obvious that the voice of smaller nations is unimportant in the EU. Nobody was telling the french or dutch voters to vote again when they rejected the constitution.

My opinion of the EU has been significantly lowered because of the calls for another vote. I think the EU show go back to being a purely economic group until they can make it a proper democratic organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Sand wrote: »
    It is because its like the Aran Islands dictating to Ireland, ordering it to completely redo a process that has taken years to reach broad agreement between all member states of the EU. Redoing it on the basis of a decision made by people who A) Didnt know anything about the Treaty B) Didnt bother learning anything about the Treaty and C) Swallowed whole any bull**** line offered by the variety of cranks and weirdos who led the No campaign. Can you see how that might be tricky?

Ireland needs the EU more than the EU needs Ireland tbh. The only referendum that needs to be run is "Should Ireland remain as a member of the EU?", Yes or No.

well i for one did now about the treaty and i made up my own mind based on the facts...What about the bs offered by the goverment.Personally i dont trust any of the current goverment i mean they are actually a joke. The opposition are weirdos why?.. because they are opposed to the treaty?. It was not agreed on by all member states but a bunch of suits.. this is the EU consituation just under a different name.. done so so that no country except ireland needed to have a ref. Why do you think they did this.... because it would have been defeated by more countries. So we should leave the EU because we dont agree with them?? Most of the EU parliment is a joke. DO i want a bunch of big headed morons making decisions for me?.. no.. i would rather the people of this country retain that right. They for example have an opt out clause in the treaty but on closer inspection this can be used as a do as we say or ur out policy against the smaller countries etc etc... im not saying the Lisbon treaty is totally bad but the people who came up with it must have been smoking something funky.. i for one hope it is defeated again. Anything that gives the politions more power should

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm not even going to bother moving this to the EU subforum - there's nothing new here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement