Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DRIVING TEST!!

Options
  • 09-12-2008 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

:confused: i have my driving test in a few weeks and was just wondering is der a rule that you have too put your car in neutral and pull up the hand brake every time you stop?and if so is it even when your in traffic that is moving every few seconds?
    if there is any other small things that many people forget could people please let me know e.g common mistakes
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

darcyd1991 wrote: »
    :confused: i have my driving test in a few weeks and was just wondering is der a rule that you have too put your car in neutral and pull up the hand brake every time you stop?and if so is it even when your in traffic that is moving every few seconds?
    if there is any other small things that many people forget could people please let me know e.g common mistakes
    thanks

I would suggest you book a few pre-test before you take the driving test itself, they will easily answer the questions and point out the do's and dont's.

On the first note, no you dont but its always a good idea to apply the handbreak just to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Lomu

If your coming to a complete stop use the handbrake. Make sure to put the handbrake up first then put the car in neutral. In traffic thats moving every few seconds using the clutch and accelerator would be ok.
    Also make sure to use good use of your mirrors when, indicating, taking off and reversing.
    Hope this Helps

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

moved from main motors

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No, you should not have to put the handbrake on and put the car into neutral every time you stop. And just to note: Handbrake and THEN Neutral. Not the other way round. A general rule of thumb as to when to apply the handbrake and put the car into neutral, is if you're going to be stopped for longer than 4 seconds, handbrake and neutral. But, some learners prefer to leave the car in gear with the handbrake applied when they are at the top of a cue of traffic, to speed up taking off from a set of lights, this isn't essential however.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Vanbis wrote: »
    I would suggest you book a few pre-test lessons before you take the driving test itself
    Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement