Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams/ Failing modules

Options
  • 09-12-2008 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Urm.. not sure if theres already a thread for this :confused: I'm terrible at working boards!!!. Just wondering... What is the maximum number of modules you can repeat for Xmas and for Summer? I think I'm failing 2 or 3 out've 6 this Semester :eek:

and also... what % is a pass in each module? I've been told all sorts of things!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

30% *might* get you a pass, depends on the lecturer. You should have that info from the first lecture iirc.

Is it 4 exams you can repeat or 6 over the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

And I know 'some' courses (perhaps not all) have a system where if you do great in one module and poor in another you can bring the poor one up by sacrificing your good grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DozeyRozey

kaimera wrote: »
    30% *might* get you a pass, depends on the lecturer. You should have that info from the first lecture iirc.

Is it 4 exams you can repeat or 6 over the year?

thanks... I'm in 1st year and know nothing (or haven't been told anything) about exams, QCA's or exam-related stuff!!.

My main concern is that while going through a "quit my course" phase and also for valid reasons (family beaureavement and I was sick one week), I missed 5 tutorials for one module. During that time, I missed a group project and presentation worth 35% . So now I have to get an A in the exam to pass the module.... hopeless!! I sent a short e-mail (didn't go into details as to why I was absent) to my tutor, and she never replied:(.

The repeat exam in the Summer is still worth 65% and not 100% as I'd hoped... so I think I'm doooooomed!! Any advice? (sorry for the long message!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Personally talk to your tutor & lecturer and fully explain why you were absent.
    They should be pretty understanding (depending on the circumstances).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

DozeyRozey wrote: »
    thanks... I'm in 1st year and know nothing (or haven't been told anything) about exams, QCA's or exam-related stuff!!.

My main concern is that while going through a "quit my course" phase and also for valid reasons (family beaureavement and I was sick one week), I missed 5 tutorials for one module. During that time, I missed a group project and presentation worth 35% . So now I have to get an A in the exam to pass the module.... hopeless!! I sent a short e-mail (didn't go into details as to why I was absent) to my tutor, and she never replied:(.

The repeat exam in the Summer is still worth 65% and not 100% as I'd hoped... so I think I'm doooooomed!! Any advice? (sorry for the long message!!)

Family bereavement? Might- and I only say might- be able to get an "I" Grade for that module. Your best best is to go to the SU and ask the Education Officer, he'll be able to tell you where you stand. If you get an "I" Grade you do a 100% repeat in August. I know it's a bit late saying it, but you really should have gotten in touch with your lecturer at the time- or as soon as possible afterwards.

• Advertisement

klong wrote: »
    Family bereavement? Might- and I only say might- be able to get an "I" Grade for that module. Your best best is to go to the SU and ask the Education Officer, he'll be able to tell you where you stand. If you get an "I" Grade you do a 100% repeat in August. I know it's a bit late saying it, but you really should have gotten in touch with your lecturer at the time- or as soon as possible afterwards.

While it was a family beaureavement, it wasn't within my immediate family so I'm pretty sure it won't suffice, I don't think I'll even mention it because I don't want to sound like I'm lying or making excuses either :(. I've just sent an e-mail to one of the lecturers.... he's nicer than my tutor so fingers crossed he'll atleast reply and let me know what the story is!. If I have to pay full fees to repeat because of some stupid module that doesnt even have relevance to my course I'll go mad :mad:...... thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's not quite as simple as "you can fail X per semester" but pretending it is for the moment, the answer is 2.

The longer answer is that to be allowed repeat a module (or more than one module), it has to be possible for you to meet the requirements for progression to the next year. That requirement is a QCA of 2.00 or greater and no deficient grades (ie nothing below a D2). So basically if, by repeating a maximum of 2 modules per semester in the summer repeats, you can clear all grades that are less than a D2 and get your QCA at or above 2.00 at the end of the repeats they'll let you sit the repeats.

Moving on a bit, the possibility of an I grade. The requirements for getting an I grade are precise but they include the possibility of a family bereavement and the fallout from that. You can go into the SU and talk to Eamonn (education officer) but here's an answer that's as good or better than the one he'll give you: while I grades are technically sorted by the I grades committee, in practical terms they're organised and all but agreed by members of UL's medical centre, counselling department or chaplaincy. You'll need to provide evidence that such a bereavement has occurred. You'll need to talk to probably the counselling service about both the bereavement and the quit your course phase. What may happen is that they talk to the lecturer and get the module graded on the final exam. Or I-grade the full thing. Or you may be stuck exactly where you currently are. You probably can't provide documentary evidence of the week's illness so it probably won't be decided on that basis but mention it anyway. Go to the counselling reception tomorrow and arrange a chat with one of the counsellors. At worst you're just where you are now. At best they'll be able to do something for you. If you feel more comfortable talking to one of the chaplains instead, call into Koenraad (RC) or Patricia (C of I). The likelihood is that because the bereavement hasn't occurred during the exam period itself you'll need to talk to someone in counselling as well to make the decision but you'll find that out if you go.

Because technically they don't make the decision it's possible that their recommendation won't get the agreement of the I grades committee. In practice this happens so rarely that you can completely discount it. At worst they'll say no, which puts you exactly where you are now.

As an aside, the pass percentage depends on the faculty, department and even lecturer. You should have been given a course outline at the beginning of the module that tells you what the grading scheme is. If you didn't, that's certainly something to mention to the education officer, one of his duties is chasing that kind of thing down where he's made aware of it. Generally speaking 30% tends to be the equivalent of a D2 in many faculties, but not all. 40% tends to be a C3. That's far more standard now than it used to be (I once heard of a multiple choice exam where the D2 mark was minus 5)

With regard to repeating, after the summer repeats if you don't manage to pass it there, if you've one module to pass, they're as likely to offer you a link-in as an alternative where you sit and pay for only one exam. Cost is about 400 quid if I remember rightly.

edit: just read your last reply so the bereavement might not be relevant. Although family is family and if it affected you it *is* relevant and I would mention it. Did you actually email the lecturer for the course or one of the tutorial guys? Always email the lecturer on something like this, the tutorial guys are as likely to ignore it as anything else depending on who they are - some are very good, some aren't, all of them get paid an hourly rate for doing the tutorials so as you can imagine they'd see it as the lecturer's job to sort out things like this. They might not have actually deliberately ignored it, they'd have assumed that you'd emailed the lecturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Try not to worry about your exams, it wont do you any good, do your best and when you get the results you can consider your options :)

You'l be ok ;)

sceptre wrote: »
    It's not quite as simple as "you can fail X per semester" but pretending it is for the moment, the answer is 2.

The longer answer is that to be allowed repeat a module (or more than one module), it has to be possible for you to meet the requirements for progression to the next year. That requirement is a QCA of 2.00 or greater and no deficient grades (ie nothing below a D2). So basically if, by repeating a maximum of 2 modules per semester in the summer repeats, you can clear all grades that are less than a D2 and get your QCA at or above 2.00 at the end of the repeats they'll let you sit the repeats.

Moving on a bit, the possibility of an I grade. The requirements for getting an I grade are precise but they include the possibility of a family bereavement and the fallout from that. You can go into the SU and talk to Eamonn (education officer) but here's an answer that's as good or better than the one he'll give you: while I grades are technically sorted by the I grades committee, in practical terms they're organised and all but agreed by members of UL's medical centre, counselling department or chaplaincy. You'll need to provide evidence that such a bereavement has occurred. You'll need to talk to probably the counselling service about both the bereavement and the quit your course phase. What may happen is that they talk to the lecturer and get the module graded on the final exam. Or I-grade the full thing. Or you may be stuck exactly where you currently are. You probably can't provide documentary evidence of the week's illness so it probably won't be decided on that basis but mention it anyway. Go to the counselling reception tomorrow and arrange a chat with one of the counsellors. At worst you're just where you are now. At best they'll be able to do something for you. If you feel more comfortable talking to one of the chaplains instead, call into Koenraad (RC) or Patricia (C of I). The likelihood is that because the bereavement hasn't occurred during the exam period itself you'll need to talk to someone in counselling as well to make the decision but you'll find that out if you go.

Because technically they don't make the decision it's possible that their recommendation won't get the agreement of the I grades committee. In practice this happens so rarely that you can completely discount it. At worst they'll say no, which puts you exactly where you are now.

As an aside, the pass percentage depends on the faculty, department and even lecturer. You should have been given a course outline at the beginning of the module that tells you what the grading scheme is. If you didn't, that's certainly something to mention to the education officer, one of his duties is chasing that kind of thing down where he's made aware of it. Generally speaking 30% tends to be the equivalent of a D2 in many faculties, but not all. 40% tends to be a C3. That's far more standard now than it used to be (I once heard of a multiple choice exam where the D2 mark was minus 5)

With regard to repeating, after the summer repeats if you don't manage to pass it there, if you've one module to pass, they're as likely to offer you a link-in as an alternative where you sit and pay for only one exam. Cost is about 400 quid if I remember rightly.

edit: just read your last reply so the bereavement might not be relevant. Although family is family and if it affected you it *is* relevant and I would mention it. Did you actually email the lecturer for the course or one of the tutorial guys? Always email the lecturer on something like this, the tutorial guys are as likely to ignore it as anything else depending on who they are - some are very good, some aren't, all of them get paid an hourly rate for doing the tutorials so as you can imagine they'd see it as the lecturer's job to sort out things like this. They might not have actually deliberately ignored it, they'd have assumed that you'd emailed the lecturer.

Would the fact that I have minor medical problems account for anything? I would have documents to prove that I have bad hearing, suffer from ear problems and have slight speech problems. I ticked the disability box on my CAO form, but didn't register with the disability office in UL because I didn't have much difficulties hearing the lectures. Of course they're not major problems, but do you they could help in anyway? I tend to get sick quite often and don't always go to the doctor!!. I'm an Access student so I think I'll call ito their there office.....I would do 10 projects now if it meant I could get some marks!!:(

Would the fact that I have minor medical problems account for anything? I would have documents to prove that I have bad hearing, suffer from ear problems and have slight speech problems. I ticked the disability box on my CAO form, but didn't register with the disability office in UL because I didn't have much difficulties hearing the lectures. Of course they're not major problems, but do you they could help in anyway? I tend to get sick quite often and don't always go to the doctor!!. I'm an Access student so I think I'll call ito their there office.....I would do 10 projects now if it meant I could get some marks!!:(
    Unlikely, the reason being that it doesn't affect you all that much as you say. Stick to the more tangiable reasons for the most part, it needs to be demonstrably something that would have affected you. It isn't intended to be a get out of jail free card and it's sometimes a judgement call from those that decide. I'm just throwing out the facts to be honest, not nudging you in any direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

sceptre beat me to it, but you should have been told this by your lecturers in the first lecture or two. To use an analogy it's not much fun playing a game unless you know what the rules are before you start.
    As an aside, the pass percentage depends on the faculty, department and even lecturer. You should have been given a course outline at the beginning of the module that tells you what the grading scheme is. If you didn't, that's certainly something to mention to the education officer, one of his duties is chasing that kind of thing down where he's made aware of it.

Are all lecturers not obliged to give out the grading structure now? I remember being told by numerous lecturers that they had to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I'm an Access student so I think I'll call ito their there office.....I would do 10 projects now if it meant I could get some marks!!:(

I'm an Access student also...
    Definitely call in to the girls in there. Dont be afraid to tell them anything, they are great and will try their best to help you out. Its fairly quiet in there at this time of year too, so tou shouldnt have a problem confiding in them if you want.

I hope all works out, and as Diamond said, dont worry about the exams, just do your best, it'll all work out.

rmacm wrote: »
    Are all lecturers not obliged to give out the grading structure now? I remember being told by numerous lecturers that they had to do it.
    They are. Directive of Academic Council a few years back IIRC. Openness, accountability, everyone playing by the same declared rules and all that.
    Mossin wrote: »
    I'm an Access student also...
    Definitely call in to the girls in there. Dont be afraid to tell them anything, they are great and will try their best to help you out. Its fairly quiet in there at this time of year too, so tou shouldnt have a problem confiding in them if you want.
    I've only had very minor dealings with them and never in their official capacity but the staff there definitely seem dead-on, very committed and very much prepared to go the extra mile. Far far better than some other offices with similar aims of getting students in and out of UL. They're also pretty protective of and supportive of their students from what I've heard, never heard a bad word about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

They are. Directive of Academic Council a few years back IIRC. Openness, accountability, everyone playing by the same declared rules and all that.

While this is true it has been taken to mean that it is the form of the module layout.

ie. marking scheme is ...... 50% project Based
    25% oral based
    25% final exam based

While I have come accross marking schemes - they have mainly been for practicle subjects, I don't think I have ever seen one for a theory based written exam. They can't really give you one because then you will know exactly what to write!!

Defo worth checking up on though!!:cool:

DJCR wrote: »
    While this is true it has been taken to mean that it is the form of the module layout.
    Yes, anything more would be silly for almost every module I can think of. It was intended to give students a non-moving target to hit, not to completely stop lecturers fudging grades (external examiners are supposed, at least in theory, to take care of that).

Unlikely, the reason being that it doesn't affect you all that much as you say. Stick to the more tangiable reasons for the most part, it needs to be demonstrably something that would have affected you. It isn't intended to be a get out of jail free card and it's sometimes a judgement call from those that decide. I'm just throwing out the facts to be honest, not nudging you in any direction.

I stood outside the SU after my exam this morning wondering whether to go in or not and what to say, and I ended up walking home!. I think I should leave it until I know exactly what results I get. I've done 2 exams so far which I think I done ok in, the next 3 will be the hardest.

One more q tho (sorry!!:()... if I done well in lets say 4/6 modules, and then I get around 30% in the other two, would my good grades equal out the bad and I wouldnt have to repeat?? I read something about a compensatory fail, and that QCA doesnt count in 1st year?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

qca is reset after first year

if you get a d1 or d2 in a maximum of two modules a semester and your qca is above 2.0 when these results are included then you dont have to repeat them

waiting till you get your results is a bad idea. which looks better

'i failed i know i have to repeat i didnt do anything to prevent this please help'

'i think i might fail because of blah blah blah, im working my ass off but im still really worried about the exams and what happens if i fail is there anything that can be done to help me?'

pro-active is always better than reactive

PeakOutput wrote: »
    qca is reset after first year

if you get a d1 or d2 in a maximum of two modules a semester and your qca is above 2.0 when these results are included then you dont have to repeat them

waiting till you get your results is a bad idea. which looks better

'i failed i know i have to repeat i didnt do anything to prevent this please help'

'i think i might fail because of blah blah blah, im working my ass off but im still really worried about the exams and what happens if i fail is there anything that can be done to help me?'

pro-active is always better than reactive

Good point.... thank you for that!!!!:D I'll just have to overcome my shyness and go explain everything!!!

Is 30-35 a D2, and 35-40 a D1?? I'm so dopey!! head is fried from trying to study!!!!!:rolleyes:

Is 30-35 a D2, and 35-40 a D1?? I'm so dopey!! head is fried from trying to study!!!!!:rolleyes:

usualy yes

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭nuts86

how do they work out the QCA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

nuts86 wrote: »

I don't think even "they" know! :D But it's in the handbook you get in 1st year. And have a rummage around on the UL website, it's there alright.

nuts86 wrote: »

if you do even a cursory search of the forum....no.....the first page of the forum you will find your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Here are the QCA equivalents to you courses - It doesn't matter what course you do what mark you get.............. this mother f00ker is your guiding light!!!

A1 4.00
    A2 3.60
    B1 3.20
    B2 3.00
    B3 2.80
    C1 2.60
    C2 2.40
    C3 2.00
    D1 1.60
    D2 1.20
    F 0.00
    NG 0.00

Hope your all doing well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ul19

hi i have a repeat exam in august i need to get a c3 to get my QCA back over 2 to progress. a c3 in the original exam was 40% just wondering what mark i need to get in the repeat to get a c3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

ul19 wrote: »
    hi i have a repeat exam in august i need to get a c3 to get my QCA back over 2 to progress. a c3 in the original exam was 40% just wondering what mark i need to get in the repeat to get a c3

It's usually the same but contact your lecturer to make sure, if you're worried about it.

Advertisement