Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.Net Work

Options
  • 09-12-2008 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    Was wondering, what with all this talk of recession and all, how is the .NET community doing back home? When I left in November '07 it was still pretty healthy and I'm still getting emails from pimps about jobs and such (Both contract and perm).

Anyone experiencing a slowdown?

H.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

There are plenty of advertised .NET jobs, especially here in the West, but they are all phantom from what I have experienced.
    There are jobs in Dublin, but a lot of applicants.

Thats my experience from it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

yop wrote: »
    There are plenty of advertised .NET jobs, especially here in the West, but they are all phantom from what I have experienced.

+1

Lots of CV fishing going on these days

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Here is an experience I had when looking for a programming job.

I went over to Glasgow for a programming job at a company called Real Time Engineering. Before going to Glasgow I did 2 telephone interviews.

The first interview was by the HR manager and I answered all the usual questions.

The second interview was technical and I chatted informally to a senior programmer for about one hour about various aspects of programming and it went well.

I went over and did the interview, however, after 2 weeks they emailed to say I didnt get the job. No big deal - I got a trip to my home town and it was nice to get our of Ireland for a couple of days.

Then about 2 months later I got a call from a Glasgow job pimp and she told me that there were all these great .net jobs flying around. I said that it all sounded very well and good so I asked her to get in touch if any of these companies were interested in interviewing me.

I told her about my interview at Real Time Engineering and that I felt that it was too risky going to all the expense of attending a job interview in another country. I would not travel unless they were picking up the tab.

She told me that her agency used to deal with Real Time Engineering and that they had stopped doing so. She reckoned that the company interviewed people for jobs that didnt exist in order to cherry pick the best programming talent.

I might have known something was amiss because all the interview dates and times were chosen by me and they were very relaxed about it all.

You live and learn.

Advertisement