Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three free windows live messenger

Options
  • 09-12-2008 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I currently have a nokia 5300 with meteor. I am thinking about getting it unlocked and then buying a three sim to get free MSN. I was just wondering if anyboy has tried it or knows if its compatible with MSN.:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nope won't work, it's a 2G phone, best off get a new 3 one that supports msn....give santa a shout:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 evinmckay

Thanks for your help dont think ill get a new phone do. Its fairly new

I also have a pda a Qtek 2020. It has msn built in which i can currently acces true my wi fi have not tried gprs but do you think it would work

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

evinmckay wrote: »
    I also have a pda a Qtek 2020. It has msn built in which i can currently acces true my wi fi have not tried gprs but do you think it would work

nope, won't work it's a 2G pda, if you can get a few bob for the 5300 i'd move it on before the screen breaks;)...., think you need to top up by €10pm to get free msn and skype but you get €10pm back for 12mts with a new phone....the cheapest one with skype and msn is €79...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

nope, won't work it's a 2G pda, if you can get a few bob for the 5300 i'd move it on before the screen breaks;)...., think you need to top up by €10pm to get free msn and skype but you get €10pm back for 12mts with a new phone....the cheapest one with skype and msn is €79...

Being 2G has nothing to do with it ... MSN will work perfectly well over EDGE or even GPRS. However, don't think there's a free client available for that phone - they usually need to support Java MIDP 2, you could try the browser based version at mobile.live.com - it's a little bit **** though!

Edit: actually, a quick google reveals: http://www.softwaremarket.nokia.com/?action=productDetails&pID=2926&uaid=256&lang=en

Edit again: but using this you would be subject to whatever 3's data charge, it wouldn't be "their" service.

dubber wrote: »
    Being 2G has nothing to do with it

ahh he's using a 3 Ireland sim card, it's a lot got to do with it...it won't work in either handset he has...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Just buy a smart phone, pretty much all the new ones come with messenger and live mail....
    I use the Palm Treo Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Drunkmonkey is correct to use the free msn on 3 you will need a 3g phone with the planet3 settings put onto it in order to download the free application. You will also need to be in 3g coverage (thus the need for a 3g phone), if anyone here has got it working when not in 3g coverage this does not mean it will work for the op as it is set up to be a 3g only service. What others are suggesting is msn over them internet incurring a data charge, this is not what the op is asking about. Easiest thing is to get a 3 phone, all the software is already on the phone. PS op the msn client will not work on a 5300 and you will get no support from 3 customer services as 3 do not support the phone on their network.

I've gone on the three website and the cheapest phones on prepay are 79 euro.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

ye you were right sorry. I saw them in the newspapers yesterday for 49euro

If its off the site it means it out of stock for web sales. Try a store they might have them.

ye €50 is pretty cheap. does it have msn

Ya it has msn, it will cost you 79 in a store though.

Nope, msn won't work on the Skype phone, get yourself a good nokia or sony that works with everything for about €99

:D:DWho do you believe?

ye I relly don't know what ill do.

ye I relly don't know what ill do.

you could get someone to swap you a 3 phone for 1 of yours, there's some good one's floating about, n73's, e65's, phones like them, you might pick one up pretty right second hand...

ye swap sounds good but I don't see y I would pay to downgrade my phone it would have to be good

• Advertisement

Just installed WLM perfectly on a Skype phone

ye swap sounds good but I don't see y I would pay to downgrade my phone it would have to be good

e65 or n73 are better than the phones you have....there's a lot of good second hand 3 phones around....ask a few mates....

Walkman wrote: »
    Just installed WLM perfectly on a Skype phone

where did you download the WLM from. also what phone do you have

where did you download the WLM from. also what phone do you have

The 3 skypephone that was mentioned above in the thread. You download msn from planet 3. Planet3, Services, Communication, Messenger....away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

I was told when buying a phone in 3 four weeks ago that all their handsets have WLM, so even the cheapest will have it to download free.

I was told when buying a phone in 3 four weeks ago that all their handsets have WLM, so even the cheapest will have it to download free.

Correct, the only way a handset will not have messenger is if its a new handset launched before the application is not available. In this case the application is usually ready within a couple of weeks

e65 or n73 are better than the phones you have....there's a lot of good second hand 3 phones around....ask a few mates....

Is 80 euro good value for a second hand nokia n73:confused:

Advertisement