Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading finally.

Options
  • 09-12-2008 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭

Hey lads.

I was wondering if ye could help me out with upgrading my current rig. At the moment I have.

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS KO ACS3 320MB GDDR3
    ,HDCP, PCI-Express, 2xDVI-I, 320bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket
    LGA775, 4MB

MSI P35 Platinum, P35, Socket-775, DDR2,
    Firewire, 1333FSB, ATX,GbLAN, 2xPCI-Ex16

OCZ Technology Powersupply ATX/EPS 700W,
    120mm Fan, SATA, 4/8pin CPU, 20/24pin

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2
    16MB 7200RPM

Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5
    Kit w/two matched CM2X1024A-6400 Dimm's.

I'm looking to sell everything off bar the sound card and the Hard drive. I'd want a gaming rig that wouldn't be out of date in a year or two but I've no idea whats going on the market these days, do's and don'ts etc So any help would be appreciated in that sense.

And also, how much would the above sell for ? I'm not expecting big money out of them, 150-200 for the lot (bar sound card, HD) is what I'm thinking. Would that be accurate ?

Budget would be around 1000-1100.

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

All you need is a new video card. Board is fine, CPU is definitely fine - even at stock its fine but a small bit of overclocking will have it flying. To be honest selling those for a cheap price and getting new hardware is like throwing money into the wind - what you have is perfectly good.

More ram would be nice, and a bigger hard drive if you need it. But your current power supply, board and cpu are totally good for another while yet.

What resolution are you gaming at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

All you need is a new video card. Board is fine, CPU is definitely fine - even at stock its fine but a small bit of overclocking will have it flying. To be honest selling those for a cheap price and getting new hardware is like throwing money into the wind - what you have is perfectly good.

More ram would be nice, and a bigger hard drive if you need it. But your current power supply, board and cpu are totally good for another while yet.

What resolution are you gaming at?

+1.

2 gig of ram is €40
    1T harddrive is €100

Good gfx cards from 150-250 for 22" monitors or less.

I am running on a 2.4ghz quad atm @ stock with a 4870 with 4 gig of ram. I have no issues with games running well.

(most games still only use 2 cores, only game I overclocked for was crysis for playing the last level, clocked to 3.0ghz and it ran fine)

I would hang on to what you have, upgrade the ram and the gfx card.

Moving from a daulcore 3.0 ghz or a 2.4 ghz quad for around €150-170 won't drastically improve performance:gfx card will greatly improve performance for the same amount.

Then sit back and pick up a high end quad or dual core in socket 775 when they fall a lot more in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Intel Core i7 has just been released, which means a new socket (ie new motherboards) as well as ddr3. That gear is not really affordable right now on your budget.

If you're looking for future proof, don't buy now - you'd have to throw everything away the next time you feel like upgrading.

Put it in the piggy bank for 3-4 months would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Cheers for the info lads, I'm playing in 1680x1050 when the games allow it performance wise.

What GFX would ye recommend ? As I said before I'm not up to date with the new releases and what not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

An ati 4850 should do you fine. They can be got for about €150/€160.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

indeeed i was really really surprised by its performance^

currently i gt 3.25gb of ram, 4850 and a q6600 2.4Ghz and i can run far cry all max with AA Vsync and i get solid average 40 fps. deffo would recomend a 4850 and it only cost me 150, if u do plan on getting a 4850..get sapphire one or the toxic one..better cooler.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

+1 to all the above. You could OC the E6600 to 3GHz and you'll be set for a good while yet. As for graphics, HD4850 or possibly HD4870 if you're into playing very intensive games with high settings at maximum monitor res. I've seen the latter about for as low as €190 but prices vary a lot between sites at the mo. And I've seen Sapphire HD4850s knocking about some places close to €130 lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I'll have a look into the overclocking and have a look at the prices for the gfx cards recommended here, cheers for the help lads !

Advertisement