Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which new car in Jan-Take 2-I've been down this road before

Options
  • 09-12-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Ok, I’ve been changing my car for almost 6 mths and I’m still not sure…

This is the shortlist with the costs:

Skoda VRS Diesel 170 BHP 2.0L €27,300

Opel Insignia 160BHP 2.0L Diesel Elite €30,400

Subaru Legacy 150 2.0L BHP Diesel €28,500

Jeep Compass Diesel 150BHP 2.0L €27,500

What else is out there? I’m struggling to find something that I love. Budget is 30K circa and I have to buy new

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

insignia

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Alfa 159? I'd imagine you'd get one for around €30k straight. I assume you've driven all the cars on your list, what did you like/dislike about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Insignia looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Ok, I’ve been changing my car for almost 6 mths and I’m still not sure…

Subaru would be my choice, definetively the best car of your list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Insignia. What a breath of fresh air, if ever there was a car that highlighted how dull Toyotas are this is it, and it really blows the new Avensis into the weeds(which has been delayed for Ireland because Toyota Ireland can't find enough fools to buy the last of the unwanted outgoing 1.6s:().

AND the best bit of all is that all you need to spend is €500 and you'll get the 2.0 CDTI with 160 rather than 130 bhp, meaning that while the 130 is shade expensive compared to rivals, the 160 is great value.

Btw OP, €30k will only get you an Insignia SC(the 2.0 CDTI 160 SC is €29,795), not an Elite which starts at €33,995 for the diesel(the 160 is the only diesel option here until the twin turbo 190 model arrives next year). Although with discounts the better equipped SE model should be attainable within your budget, the 2.0 CDTI 160 SE costs €31,495.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Don't do the Jeep.....just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Take a test drive in a Citroën C5 - you've nothing to loose and you'll most likely be impressed. 2009 1.6HDI models will be band B.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I saw an Insignia in the dark yesterday. I thought it was the usual, looks great in the pics but when it come's to Ireland it's poverty spec. Unless the one your talking about is a high spec (I don't know the models, yet:P), i'd go for the Legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

not the Jeep and then put the scooby top and you have the right order.

Will resale count towards your Car budget at next trade in- in 3 years time for your company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Skoda Octavia VRS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Skoda, Scooby. Jeep last. Very last.

Insignia only if it is not poverty spec - in 3 yrs there'll be 1000's of them on the market, so you could take, will take, a hammering on it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

For that money, I'd like a Honda Civic 2.2 diesel, but it's smaller than your listed cars, and the styling is a bit Buck Rogers. The Accord would be more your size, but it's too dear for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insignia (although apparently a very much improved car) will be like all previous Opel Vectra's, Signum's etc. - it'll suffer warp speed depreciation.

Forget about the Jeep too.

Of your list I'd say Subaru or Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would defo leave out the Jeep - no good
    The Scooby is getting a bit long in the tooth to be buying new I think, and I would say that about any car your thinking of buying - from a dynamics point of view and in particualr from a safety poing of view - try buy the newest design you can ( only having researched if its any good abviously )

I'm always weary of Opel - they tend to have a nack of producing stuff that looks good but is dynamically inferior to its rivals (although I read the gap is narrower on the insignia), I know nothing more of it so once you have driven it you'll be the expert on that one.

So it leaves the skoda - hard to find someone to fault it.

Drive a few though and make up your mind based on what you think haven driven them - not your preconcived ideas before getting there, and defo not from what your advised oin boards ( the advice here tends to be a bit biased )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Skoda VRS Diesel 170 BHP 2.0L €27,300

It has a pretty big boot! And not a bad car either.
    Opel Insignia 160BHP 2.0L Diesel Elite €30,400

For the discerning farmer.

I'd be leaning towards this one.
    Jeep Compass Diesel 150BHP 2.0L €27,500

No no no no no. Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

Thank for taking the time to post your feedback

E92 - The price of €30,400 is for the Insigna Elite 160BHP. This price is based on a straight cash purchase.... I like it, but I don't love it...

One hugh issue I have with the Legacy is it has the old 5 speed gearbox and the interior is as exciting as FR Stone out of FR Ted

An interesting proposal today, A Saab dealer tells me we would be able to do a deal on a Saab Linear 93 Diesel 120BHP - What's the take on Saabs? Is it really a Opel (GM)

Ned 78 - Surely you have some other suggestions?

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

ain't the Saab on the olde Vectra floorpan?
    I'd not bother tbh.

There's a new legacy coming in the new year. Could you hold out for it?
    Other suggestions - Mazda 6 or the Ford Mondeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

:D30k? Bmw 535d m sport 2006. full leather- no contest!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - I wouldn't be bothered by a 5- as opposed to 6-speed gearbox, unless the car in question was very short on torque. Which the Subaru isn't.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

E92 wrote: »
    Insignia. What a breath of fresh air, if ever there was a car that highlighted how dull Toyotas are this is it, and it really blows the new Avensis into the weeds(which has been delayed for Ireland because Toyota Ireland can't find enough fools to buy the last of the unwanted outgoing 1.6s:().

E92, I'm disappointed, I really thought you were more discerning. Insignias will be everywhere in a few years time. It's a big step forward for Opel but by all accounts it still hasn't surpassed the Mondeo. The Mazda 6, if the Japs could be bothered with marketing or specing it properly would be far more desirable than either. Both the 2 and 6 got excellent reviews but are ignored by the Euro-centric press/awards committees.

The Scooby, even it's it's twilight years, is a class apart from any of those mentioned above (well I would say that;)). If the new model sharpens interior, looks and dynamics (by no means a given) it'll be leagues ahead of any of the mass market crap mentioned, at least for discerning drivers...

The Skoda is worth considering - if you don't mind looking like a taxi driver who swung by Halfords on the way home:D...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

pburns wrote: »
    E92, I'm disappointed, I really thought you were more discerning. Insignias will be everywhere in a few years time. It's a big step forward for Opel but by all accounts it still hasn't surpassed the Mondeo...

While I agree that Fords are generally the best in any category you can buy and the new Mondeo is truly outstanding, I'm beginning to think that people listen to what the British press say far too much for their own good and all of a sudden have an "opinion" on everything that just so happens to be almost word for word identical to what they saw in a British car mag.

Unlike some I've always liked the Brits, and I love the way they love cars far more than we do, but it must be said that British motoiring journalists have a hatred of Opels or Vauxhalls as they like to call them and even if the Insignia was twice or even 3 times as good as the Mondeo you can bet your left leg that they would say that the Opel is a brilliant car but the Mondeo beats it by the slimmest of margins.

Just look at how Mazdas compare against Fords even though we know they're the same thing really. The Volvo S40 gets no mention at all by the journos even though it's basically the same car as the excellent Ford Focus.

I've nothing against the Legacy but that interior puts me right off and I never see the point of buying a new car when the said car is due to be replaced very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

Is this the new Subaru Legacy

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Legacy/2.0-boxe/200845190770093/advert

New grill and hid lights. Subaru are calling it the Legacy Limited

Or... Is this an end of line model? If so when is the new model due

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd have the Insignia, no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this the new Subaru Legacy

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Legacy/2.0-boxe/200845190770093/advert

New grill and hid lights. Subaru are calling it the Legacy Limited

Or... Is this an end of line model? If so when is the new model due

That is the current model that has been around since 2004.

Very little info on the new model:

yeni-subaru-legacy-2.jpg

Advertisement