Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car troubles

Options
  • 09-12-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Think my little banger needs a new battery. It keeps dying on me. I'm told I can pick one up in any garage but will it cost a bomb to get someone to put it in? I'd probably blow most of Salthill up if I did it myself...

Any recommendations on a good garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You're having a laugh, right? Christ it's 2 terminals!

Just google 'How to change a car battery' - You may (will) need 2 spanners, but you'll buy 2 quality spanners (and have them forever) for the price it'd cost to fit

Actually, if you go to a MotorFactors, and you're a girl, and you ask nicely, the staff will prob just lob it in for you - just throw them the price of a pint. If you're a fella, you'll get a funny look

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

nope, trust me I am that clueless when it comes to the innards of motorised vehicles. Shall google it but am somewhat trepidatious about tinkering around under the bonnet. May nab a well versed friend to do it.

trepidatious

I had to look that word up.

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/06/is-trepidatious-word.html

By the way I am no help with a battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

I, Mr. internet stranger, will do it for you.

I, Mr. internet stranger, will do it for you.

I was gonna offer this as I live in Salthill area but though it'd be just a little weird

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I was gonna offer this as I live in Salthill area but though it'd be just a little weird

Yeah meeting people off the net is weird. I've only ever met one and ended up sleeping with her. Back of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got a battery changed for me by Advanced pit stop yonks ago, was 70 euro or thereabouts (batt + labour). Most garages will do it for you, tell them you want them to take the old battery of your hands too.

biko wrote: »
    I got a battery changed for me by Advanced pit stop yonks ago, was 70 euro or thereabouts (batt + labour). Most garages will do it for you, tell them you want them to take the old battery of your hands too.

Nat at all sham, sure just throw it inta tha fire over there. D'ya wanna buy some carpet? :pac:

Yeah meeting people off the net is weird. I've only ever met one and ended up sleeping with her. Back of the net.

Dude, stop chatting on pre-teen chatrooms, it's just wrong

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Jurrasic Park! Lucky you, I was murdered by everyone I've met off the net. biko stabbed me to death in the Blue Note the other week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dear Diary
    Mood: Apathetic
    My life is spiraling downward
    I couldn’t get enough money to go to the Blood Red Romance and Suffocate Me Dry concert
    It sucks cause they play some of my favorite songs like “Stab My Heart Because I Love You” and “Rip Apart My Soul” and of course “Stabby Rip Stab Stab” And It doesn’t help that I couldn’t get my hair to do that flippy thing either…Like that guy from that band can do...Some days, ya know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

cornbb wrote: »
    Jurrasic Park! Lucky you, I was murdered by everyone I've met off the net. biko stabbed me to death in the Blue Note the other week.

IN off the red! I'm not sure if there is a Halfrauds in Galway but they fit them for free as far as I remember.

Don't expect them to know what their doing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Make sure you get the right battery for the car; most motor factors wil have a listing of car makes/models/years so that they'll have the right one (a wrong battery could be too big/small for the space in the car, or could be too weak for the car).

As for fitting, don't be afraid to ask in the shop. Also check if WEEE is included in the battery price; if it is, give them the old battery to dispose of, as it can't go in your household waste.

I've got a couple of 160Ah batteries I can lend you :eek:

Guaranteed to fit in the engine bay boot of any car :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

the AA,, if your a member call them saying it wont start, if you mention battery problems and MAKE SURE you ask for a AA techinican not NOT a contractor, they will have them on the van and they give you a discount

had the same problem with a audi and i got the battery for 60 euro when everywhere else it was 90 and upwards (hence aa member discount)
    wouldnt do it yourself as its messy greasy yucky and nasty,
    and batterys contain acid, nice green stuf that burns through clothes and skin.
    ( i know some people can do it themselves but me ,, i would be screaming red manicure and chipped nails and having a major crisis at the mere thought)))

the AA,, if your a member call them saying it wont start, if you mention battery problems and MAKE SURE you ask for a AA techinican not NOT a contractor, they will have them on the van and they give you a discount

had the same problem with a audi and i got the battery for 60 euro when everywhere else it was 90 and upwards (hence aa member discount)
    wouldnt do it yourself as its messy greasy yucky and nasty,
    and batterys contain acid, nice green stuf that burns through clothes and skin.
    ( i know some people can do it themselves but me ,, i would be screaming red manicure and chipped nails and having a major crisis at the mere thought)))

You're a chick, right? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Thanks Lads for the offer, don't want to be weirding ye out though. Gonna call into a garage and see what story is. Presume though that once a call out in question the price rockets. Can't start car to bring it to them to have it fit. Any good garages between town and Salthill say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Can you not even get a jump start from someone to get you to the garage?

I'll be back in Galway tomorrow morning, PM me if you don't know anyone that can give you a jump. Fcuk it, if you get a battery i'll even lob it in (:D) for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You're a chick, right? :confused:

mmm last time i looked im a woman yeah
    about 5ft6 long black curly hair, pair of boobs, etc..
    likes louis vuitton and bmws, (weird im a woman petrol head but NOT BUTCH ) yep as we say in south london me is a woooman lol

• Advertisement

mmm last time i looked im a woman yeah
    about 5ft6 long black curly hair, pair of boobs, etc..
    likes louis vuitton and bmws, (weird im a woman petrol head but NOT BUTCH ) yep as we say in south london me is a woooman lol

Everyone loves boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

To quote the pussycat dolls

When I grow up I wanna have boobies!

hmmmmm boOOobies

Advertisement