Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollow Block Wall

• 09-12-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I got a quote today for getting my exterior cavity walls insulated. We are thinking of getting our 3 exterior walls (front/side and back) filled with pressurised foam. The problem is our side and back walls of house are built with 9 inch cavity block. The company that gave us the quote of €1,900 said that this type of insulation would work on our cavity walls. Having read a few comments on-line, it appears that cavity walls are hard to fill and that foam insulation might not insulate the whole wall due to mortar blockages. Has anyone had this done recently and does it work? Any comments much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

nuksoocow wrote: »
    I got a quote today for getting my exterior cavity walls insulated. We are thinking of getting our 3 exterior walls (front/side and back) filled with pressurised foam. The problem is our side and back walls of house are built with 9 inch cavity block. The company that gave us the quote of €1,900 said that this type of insulation would work on our cavity walls. Having read a few comments on-line, it appears that cavity walls are hard to fill and that foam insulation might not insulate the whole wall due to mortar blockages. Has anyone had this done recently and does it work? Any comments much appreciated.

As u have pointed out the wall is not a cavity wall but a hollow block wall so maybe change the title (edit/advanced) [ done by OP thanks)

My opinion is that it is a complete waste of money: I have seen thermal images of such work done and it is crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nuksoocow

Thanks for pointing out wrong title,changed now, and also for your opinion. I think Im of the same opinion as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Carlow52 wrote: »
    My opinion is that it is a complete waste of money: I have seen thermal images of such work done and it is crap

Any weblink Carlow52 ?

OP - have you looked at external insulation + render ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It would probably be better and a hell of a lot cheaper to hang a few woolen blankets along the walls :D.

Complete waste of money to attempt any form of pump/pressurised insulation. As sinnerboy said would you consider ext. insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

If you have a cavity block (hollow block) wall it can be pumped with anything you like but it wont change the thermal characteristics of the wall one iota. Be warned, there are firms out there which claim the contrary. Don't waste your money!
    Either internally or externally insulate. External is by far the best solution for several reasons but is the most expensive. Be careful with dew point changes if internally insulating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement