Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband - Breeze 2mb

Options
  • 09-12-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to getting a non landline broadband service into my apartment..

I will be using Skype on it also (mobile being my main point of contact)...

I have 2 options (with Irish Broadband unless someone can recommend someone better?)

1. Ripwave 2mb - http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=8

2. Breeze 2mb - http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=1

Only issues I see is the upload speed on the Ripwave option being 256kb because on using Skype?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Go for the Breeze product. Thats a Fixed Wireless product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

can you get upc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Macers wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking to getting a non landline broadband service into my apartment..

I will be using Skype on it also (mobile being my main point of contact)...

I have 2 options (with Irish Broadband unless someone can recommend someone better?)

1. Ripwave 2mb - http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=8

2. Breeze 2mb - http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=1

Only issues I see is the upload speed on the Ripwave option being 256kb because on using Skype?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please...?

If you actually get 2Mbps on ripwave, I will pay you 20 euro a month to use the service.

Go with the Breeze option if you don't want to end up canceling the service in the first week (you still might if your in an over contended Breeze area).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Don't go with Ripwave for voip.
    It should work well over Breeze though.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Don't go with Ripwave for voip.
    It should work well over Breeze though.

Thanks for the replies lads - 1 more quick question - i want to use more than one laptop with it - can i connect a wireless router to it and get wireless to a few laptops? Sorry just don't know anyone who has used this service before...,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Macers wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads - 1 more quick question - i want to use more than one laptop with it - can i connect a wireless router to it and get wireless to a few laptops? Sorry just don't know anyone who has used this service before...,

You can use a wireless router with IBB Breeze. It doesn't come with it AFAIK.

I used it for a year with a Linksys WRT54GS router. We also use a Linksys WRT54G router in work. I've never had a problem with either router and would recommend them. Just update the firmward when you get it and it fixes a UPNP problem it originally had and you can then use any games console too without worrying about port forwarding.

The router also has options for QOS for gaming applications and many other features that would be useful if you were working from home etc...

You are looking for an ethernet router not an ADSL router which eircom use and comes with a built in modem in many cases.

Also if you go with IBB and have a problem, bypass the router and plug it into the laptop and prove the problem isn't the router first. If you don't do this they will just blame your router on any problems you have so this stops them doing that. You could always just say that you did this but I do it anyway just to make sure I'm not wasting peoples time (even though it was never the router) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

brim4brim wrote: »
    You can use a wireless router with IBB Breeze. It doesn't come with it AFAIK.

I used it for a year with a Linksys WRT54GS router. We also use a Linksys WRT54G router in work. I've never had a problem with either router and would recommend them. Just update the firmward when you get it and it fixes a UPNP problem it originally had and you can then use any games console too without worrying about port forwarding.

The router also has options for QOS for gaming applications and many other features that would be useful if you were working from home etc...

You are looking for an ethernet router not an ADSL router which eircom use and comes with a built in modem in many cases.

Also if you go with IBB and have a problem, bypass the router and plug it into the laptop and prove the problem isn't the router first. If you don't do this they will just blame your router on any problems you have so this stops them doing that. You could always just say that you did this but I do it anyway just to make sure I'm not wasting peoples time (even though it was never the router) :)

Cheers man

Advertisement