Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll on "Should there bs another section for reviews and tips"

Options
  • 09-12-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Just that there's not anywhere to post reviews or tips in the shooting section and I think there should be somewhere to post this sort of stuff up to. Mod's take note please.

Should there be a new section added to the shooting forum for reviews and tip? 33 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

+1

Sounds great Clive

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What's wrong with posting hints and tips in the main forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I don't want the main forum to be 100% political threads thanks. I think that tips and reviews, being useful and positive information should be posted here to balance out all the negative stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

Lads i voted yes, im a newbie to the site, and a relative newbie to shooting, just purchased my 1st rifle and have spent quite a bit of time gouin back through this site looking for treads with something usefull in them and there are quite alot, would make it very handy for a bit of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    I don't want the main forum to be 100% political threads thanks. I think that tips and reviews, being useful and positive information should be posted here to balance out all the negative stuff. :)

+1 with the dentist :D
    It's sooooooo morbid on here these days, a bit of apolitical information would spice things up nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Sparks wrote: »
    What's wrong with posting hints and tips in the main forum?

And that was the question I was waiting for.
    Because any reviews or tips posted in the main forum will fall into the bowels of the forums pages and get lost forever unless a search is made and you will only find a review or tip if you search correctly.

Example I posted what I thought was a good tip on centering a scopes cross hairs, it took a couple of hours to put together, see here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055431546

Now after only 9 days it's already gone from the main forum front page whereas if there was a review/tips section it could be found easy within that new section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

We could always make a stickied thread that links to good reviews/tips posted in forum..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

As a newbie, i think it would be great to have a separate section
    For instance Im thinking i want to do some decoying, and i know very little a bout it, if one of the guys that has experience in decoying had a thread where he wrote down a beginers guide to decoying, foxing, phesant shooting or what ever it maybe, would be incredibly helpfull

I do understand how more established members could be inclined to keep things as they are, but for newbies would be a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

We could always make a stickied thread that links to good reviews/tips posted in forum..

So why not just have a sticky with these tips already posted in it as opposed to links?

So why not just have a sticky with these tips already posted in it as opposed to links?

There are to many sticky's on the 3 sections as it now stands and they take up to much of first page of each section.

AND why were the "Shooting for sale/wanted" and "Target shooting" links swoped around ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It might take away from the main forum? I don't see a problem with it in here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Great idea clive now why didnt I think of it :D. I would be in all favour of it lads especially if you were after a new piece of kit for your firearm or a new firearm itself, gaining some knowledge and new info about the above would be cool before you have to pay out a good few bob. Just make sure that its used for valid reviews and not abused by people posting questions. All in favour of questions after the review but no questions on for example, what would you think of this scope or that scope as a title for a thread..

Great idea clive now why didnt I think of it :D. I would be in all favour of it lads especially if you were after a new piece of kit for your firearm or a new firearm itself, gaining some knowledge and new info about the above would be cool before you have to pay out a good few bob. Just make sure that its used for valid reviews and not abused by people posting questions. All in favour of questions after the review but no questions on for example, what would you think of this scope or that scope as a title for a thread..

Thats just along the lines of what I was tinking about trying to have done.
    Many other forums have a review/tips section.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Definitely a good idea.....would make things easier to find especially for the less computer literate among us:)

But wouldn't a topic on how to use the search button do the same job?
    I kinda worry we'd end up over-diluted. Lots of shooting boards have dozens of sub-forums and precious little activity in them as a result.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

clivej wrote: »
    There are to many sticky's on the 3 sections as it now stands and they take up to much of first page of each section.

I've been trying to figure out a good way of consolidating some of them.
    AND why were the "Shooting for sale/wanted" and "Target shooting" links swoped around ???

I think CuLT (boards.ie's developer) went and sorted them in alphabetical order. I think there had been some database issues a while back so they may have been changed in the course of fixing that.

Sparks wrote: »
    But wouldn't a topic on how to use the search button do the same job?
    I kinda worry we'd end up over-diluted. Lots of shooting boards have dozens of sub-forums and precious little activity in them as a result.

Totaly agree with that.
    I'm on several forums and they are completly over populated with sections. And now I can't be bothered to look through all the different sections.
    But my idea of a new section just for reviews/tips would keep it nice, neat and simple don't you think??
    I must check the shooting section on boards.ie at least a couple of time a day now.

Sparks. -- Topic on search buttons is a good idea BUT you always get too many results to a search query and they are not always relevent to the search terms.

IRL connor. -- One way to consolidate the sticky's would be to contain them within one "READ THIS FIRST" sticky within each section, maybe!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Totaly agree with that.
    I'm on several forums and they are completly over populated with sections. And now I can't be bothered to look through all the different sections.
    But my idea of a new section just for reviews/tips would keep it nice, neat and simple don't you think??
    But it will also become over populated resulting in a search having to be made.
    Sparks. -- Topic on search buttons is a good idea BUT you always get too many results to a search query and they are not always relevent to the search terms.
    The search function in vBulletin is pretty crap. AFAIK you can't use AND between search terms, so it automatically defaults to OR and so you get everything with any of the keywords you search on.

As a result you end up with the same questions asked over and over again because the questions are so broad, a search will turn up a huge number of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Change the name of the Hardware Section to Hardware and Tips

Clive your post was excellent but how many of them do we see a week, month or even yearly.

While I think your idea is good (store them in one place) there are very few of them to justify their own section. Or am I missing them? :(

So people could post them in the Hardware Section and we can change the name to Hardware and Tips. Then if someone searches in that thread (as opposed to the whole forum) it might work a little better

thoughts?

rrpc wrote: »
    But it will also become over populated resulting in a search having to be made.

The search function in vBulletin is pretty crap. AFAIK you can't use AND between search terms, so it automatically defaults to OR and so you get everything with any of the keywords you search on.

As a result you end up with the same questions asked over and over again because the questions are so broad, a search will turn up a huge number of results.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    Change the name of the Hardware Section to Hardware and Tips

Clive your post was excellent but how many of them do we see a week, month or even yearly.

While I think your idea is good (store them in one place) there are very few of them to justify their own section. Or am I missing them? :(

So people could post them in the Hardware Section and we can change the name to Hardware and Tips. Then if someone searches in that thread (as opposed to the whole forum) it might work a little better

thoughts?

That sort of answers the reason a tips/review won't get too large but will be relevant to only that type of post.

"Or am I missing them" maybe as any post that's not replied to will fall out of the first page very quickly
    And the Hardware section is getting big now.

AND it may well encourage more good tips.
    I spent about 3 hours putting together a tip on centering a scopes cross hair (good or bad it's still a tip) only to see it already falling away into the bowels of the shooting fourm.
    Why bother to put up a post that took hours to make and never have it seen again?? And yet people will put up a new post in the few weeks/months looking for something that could have been found in a tips/review section. You all know what I mean don't you now!!!!

I saw many months ago a great bit of info about ammo and how Maximum range and impact energy was shown posted from Rovi, it was good info, but now hard to find again. And other stuff like what ammo worked well in your gun etc.............
    If it is put in one place your'll find it along with the other tips. Maybe!!!

• Advertisement

Bump to keep this post active

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I suggest a politics subforum as I don't want to have to see that stuff by default.

Then you could have all the tips'n'stuff in the main forum

B'Man

Not a horrible idea B'man, but at what point does something become "politics"? When we're talking about DoJ-FCP-NGB stuff, that's clear enough, but what about when we talk about how much is charged for a shotgun match and should the levies be so high? What about when we talk about how we notify people of matches? The line between sport stuff and admin stuff and politics stuff isn't just blurry; it's blurred, broken, meandering, and sometimes isn't even on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Bump to keep this post active

Leave it with me Clive ;)

Advertisement