Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord registry

Options
  • 09-12-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

Is there a registry, where I can get the name and/or address of a residential landlord.

Comments

http://www.prtb.ie/pubregister.htm
    This won't have the landlord's name but if you have a dispute you can raise it here.

Are you the tenant or neighbour or other?

Edit: the list is very long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Are you in an apartment complex or estate? There may be a Management Company in place. Thet can resolve problems very quick.

Are you in a rented property? Your landlord may know your neighbour. He might contact the neighbouring landlord if you threaten to move out because of noise etc.

Is the property operated by Galway City Council? Contact them.

If it's more serious than that (parties, amplified noise, unsocialable behaviour etc) call in to Garda station during daytime with your problem. Explain your problems and the cops will monitor the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

go to the city council, they have the names of all registered landlords associated with properties, and if the landlord isnt registered you can land him in the cr*p while your at it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

Whats the problem? Noisy neighbours?

• Advertisement

Its an estate and theres no management company, but I'll try the city council(thanks stevecrow). House has changed hands several times in the last few years and I just wanted to know how to find the landlord should I need to. Pre-emtive strike sort of thing. Ya, I know it sounds paranoid but I've had 1 or 2 bad experiences in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Don't suppose you live 2 doors down from me do ya ;)

Then again, a neighbour who moved overseas said *my* scary neighbours' landlord is a complete b*ll*x himself, so it might be a lost cause for me.

Reckon City Hall will sort ya :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

go to the city council, they have the names of all registered landlords associated with properties, and if the landlord isnt registered you can land him in the cr*p while your at it:D

Is that register publicly available?

It's estimated that up to a quarter of properties in Galway are rental, why does'nt the PRTB register reflect this amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i doubt you will get much info in city hall, to the best of my knowledge the prtb maintain the list of registered landlords, if he is not on their list then i doubt he is registered.
    i think your best bet is to try and catch him when he collects the rent even tho thats a bit of a long shot or you could ask the postman the name on say one of the utility bills. Id reckon his name would defo be on the esb bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

skelliser wrote: »
    i doubt you will get much info in city hall, to the best of my knowledge the prtb maintain the list of registered landlords, if he is not on their list then i doubt he is registered.
    I had a similar problem with some students myself not so long ago. I went through every route I could find, the PRTB, the University authorities, even the land registry, called the Guards on them four or five times, and they wouldn't release names because of privacy concerns. The regular parties were becoming a serious impediment to my well being, so after trying to talk to the tenants I dropped a letter in the mailbox.
    Dear residents,

This notice is to inform you of commencing legal action in the Galway city and county District Court against you, for your repeated contravention of (Section 108) of the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992 and the Environmental Protection Agency Act (Noise) Regulations 1994 (SI No. 179 of 1994).

Due to repeated violations of said acts, in spite of several representations from the community to come to a mutual understanding, be advised that any further continuation of the disruption of the peaceful and exclusive enjoyment of community members of their homes will result in a complaint being filed with the Clerk of the District Court under said acts with a view to prosecuting you on the grounds of unreasonable and repeated noise pollution.

Be advised that the maximum penalties that can be levied by the court are up to €3000 in fines and up to 12 months in prison.

This letter is to be considered notice prior to the commencement of legal proceedings, in the course of which the Environmental Protection Agency Act, 1992 - noise form of notice will be delivered.

Any further disruptions to the community will result in legal action being taken.

All the best,
    XXXX Residents Community.
    Bang, problem solved, been sleeping like a baby ever since. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We recently moved from an apartment complex in the middle of town to the 'burbs. It's great to be away from all the screaming domestics, screeching babies, wailing cats, barking dogs, crustie outdoor guitar parties, revving boy racers, house parties playing house music, karaoke parties on a Tuesday and buckfast drinking children.

However our new neighbour is so quiet we feel guilty playing Guitar Hero (especially with my singing) or having pals over. Doesn't stop us though, but I wish she'd do something un-neighbourly to us so we wouldn't feel guilty anymore.

Thanks for all the replies lads. Like I said, it would be great to know the landlord before he rents out the house, so he's aware of our concerns. Like everyone else, I have no problems with the occasional party but in the past I've rented houses next door to everything from sloppy tenants, social misfits to drug dealers. And now that I own my own place, in a nice quiet estate, I'll be damned if I let that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I had a similar problem with some students myself not so long ago. I went through every route I could find, the PRTB, the University authorities, even the land registry, called the Guards on them four or five times, and they wouldn't release names because of privacy concerns. The regular parties were becoming a serious impediment to my well being, so after trying to talk to the tenants I dropped a letter in the mailbox.

Genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Most babies wake up screaming a few times a night and soil themselves!.:D

Only kidding. Nice work SimpleSam06

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

This is the place to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

skelliser wrote: »
    i think your best bet is to try and catch him when he collects the rent even tho thats a bit of a long shot or you could ask the postman the name on say one of the utility bills. Id reckon his name would defo be on the esb bill.

Eh? Why on earth would the landlord's name be on the ESB, surely the tenant is responsible for paying that? And surely collecting rent is long since gone, isn't that what standing orders are for???

It would be great to know the landlord before he rents out the house, so he's aware of our concerns. Like everyone else, I have no problems with the occasional party but in the past I've rented houses next door to everything from sloppy tenants, social misfits to drug dealers. And now that I own my own place, in a nice quiet estate, I'll be damned if I let that happen.

I know the feeling: when you're renting, if trouble moves in next door you can just move out. Once you've bought, it's a different ball-game. This is simply one of the risks of property ownership.

But exactly what do you plan to say to the property-owner (who may be male or female, btw). "Don't rent to bad people or I'll throw my toys"??? It may be that all s/he says to the tenants (or the property management company who do the renting out) is along the lines of "the neighbours next door are a bit psycho, avoid annoying 'em if you can". That'll get the relationship started on a good basis.

Remember, the vast majority of rental properties are tenanted by responsible people who don't cause problems. If you have a problem with someone who happens to be a tenant (but not your tenant), you need to sort it out directly in the majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

JustMary wrote: »
    Eh? Why on earth would the landlord's name be on the ESB, surely the tenant is responsible for paying that? And surely collecting rent is long since gone, isn't that what standing orders are for???

because in every single house iv lived in the landlords name has been on the esb bill, tho this may not be the case in other peoples experience. Anyway it was only a suggestion, maybe you should suggest something instead of knocking others posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

nice work, any chance of some sick notes written?:rolleyes:

nice work, any chance of some sick notes written?
    Heh. The letter was both accurate and legal, and I'd have followed it through too. You don't need representation to make a noise complaint to the district courts.
    "Don't rent to bad people or I'll throw my toys"??? It may be that all s/he says to the tenants (or the property management company who do the renting out) is along the lines of "the neighbours next door are a bit psycho, avoid annoying 'em if you can". That'll get the relationship started on a good basis.
    When I checked with the PRTB in my case, the landlord wasn't registered, so its a given he wasn't paying taxes. He had previously rented the house out to travellers (who were sound up until they had some sort of a duel in the wee hours and moved along), but its fairly indicative of someone that didn't give a crap about the neighbourhood or society as a whole, so had I managed to find his number I'd have called him up at 5am when the students were partying in the street or ringing the doorbell of the neighbours with small children, and given him an earful. Messed up sleep patterns are no joke, it can ruin your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Lanlord contact details should be much more readily available than they are. The only time you see them is when you owe them money.
    I say, stop paying the rent and you will soon find him.

But exactly what do you plan to say to the property-owner (who may be male or female, btw). "Don't rent to bad people or I'll throw my toys"??? It may be that all s/he says to the tenants (or the property management company who do the renting out) is along the lines of "the neighbours next door are a bit psycho, avoid annoying 'em if you can". That'll get the relationship started on a good basis.
    I was thinking that a friendly chat would let him know that the people here appreciates the peaceful community we've built up here, whilst making him realise that now we know where he lives, he can't ignore any problems that his tenants may cause. As regards utility bills, I've seen them go both ways depending on the agreement between the landlord and tenant. While the legal letter was a f**king fantastic idea, nothing scares students more than the prospect of telling Mumsie and Dadsie they're about to be dragged through the courts.Not such a scary scenario for your average crackhead whose probably on first name terms with (DJ) Mary Fahy.

nothing scares students more than the prospect of telling Mumsie and Dadsie they're about to be dragged through the courts.
    That reminds me, if you google the address of the house in quotation marks you might be able to find the daft or Galway Advertiser advert if its been cached by google, that will give you a phone number anyway. Last time I tried that I found the bebo pages of the troublemakers (yes, the muppets had put up their home address and all their details on bebo).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Heh. The letter was both accurate and legal, and I'd have followed it through too. You don't need representation to make a noise complaint to the district courts.

When I checked with the PRTB in my case, the landlord wasn't registered, so its a given he wasn't paying taxes. He had previously rented the house out to travellers (who were sound up until they had some sort of a duel in the wee hours and moved along), but its fairly indicative of someone that didn't give a crap about the neighbourhood or society as a whole, so had I managed to find his number I'd have called him up at 5am when the students were partying in the street or ringing the doorbell of the neighbours with small children, and given him an earful. Messed up sleep patterns are no joke, it can ruin your life.

Hehe, like the letter idea. Also karma is a great thing - mess with me I'll mess with you.
    I was living in town for a couple of years in a small development, a building site went in next door that used our car park for access. One of their guys came in at 5am one morning and started working, hammering and sawing stuff literally 10 feet the other side of my bedroom wall. Basically told me to **** off when I went out to talk to him. So I parked the car across the gate into the site, went back to bed and put the earplugs in. Eventually fell asleep again, then slept through the doorbell ringing when the site foreman and other builders arrived. Turned out I ****ed up a concrete delivery scheduled for 9am, and they missed half a day of work :pac:
    Massive row when I did make it out of bed and move the car, but yer man never started work that early again :D

...had I managed to find his number I'd have called him up at 5am when the students were partying in the street or ringing the doorbell of the neighbours with small children, and given him an earful. Messed up sleep patterns are no joke, it can ruin your life.

But what do you think your phone call would have actually achieved?

Sure, he might go and yell at the tenants. But if he really doesn't give a monkeys, likely he won't bother, he'll just turn off the phone and go back to sleep.

Even if he does, if their misbehaviour is things like that, happening outside of the house, then it's unlikely that he do much. Sure he can threaten to evict them or put the rent up, but these things take time and can only be done if due legal process is followed. Their need to be warnings, there needs to be proof etc.

If people, tenants or otherwise, are indulging in anti-social behaviour in your neighbourhood, that's a matter for the guards to sort out. (Of course you might have to exaggerate a little when you call 'em ;), to get a response.)

But what do you think your phone call would have actually achieved?

Sure, he might go and yell at the tenants. But if he really doesn't give a monkeys, likely he won't bother, he'll just turn off the phone and go back to sleep.
    So he has to turn off his phone so he can sleep at night? How long do you think that will be allowed to continue? And thats assuming I don't track down his landline, which is quite an assumption. It removes the insulating blanket a landlord has from his rented premises.
    Even if he does, if their misbehaviour is things like that, happening outside of the house, then it's unlikely that he do much. Sure he can threaten to evict them or put the rent up, but these things take time and can only be done if due legal process is followed. Their need to be warnings, there needs to be proof etc.
    Students get tossed out of rental accommodation all the time, and most of them haven't the gorm to know what to do to fight it, even if they had the will to do so, which they don't. They could also kiss their deposits goodbye, which is a given with most Irish landlords.
    If people, tenants or otherwise, are indulging in anti-social behaviour in your neighbourhood, that's a matter for the guards to sort out. (Of course you might have to exaggerate a little when you call 'em ;), to get a response.)
    Called them up four or five times, with the same response every time - they appear, warn the students to keep it down, the students agree, guards drive off and five minutes later its the same craic. We're talking about people with no social responsiblity or concept of consequences whatsoever.

Regardless, direct and painful consequences can be brought to bear on the tenants via the district courts, although it would be a last resort.

Advertisement