Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter of 81/82

Options
  • 09-12-2008 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

Many a legend has passed through Boards.ie weather about winters past, and more especially the winters of the 80's.

Between studying and smoking today (more of the latter it has to be said..:pac:) I found time to have a skim of the Digital Archive of the Irish Times. Some great reports of the winters of the 80's. Such as the big blizzards of 84, the cold of 86 and 87 and so forth.

It would seem however, that the last truly great winter was that of 81/82.

A winter that began like any other day in meteorological terms on the 7th of December 1981.

Here is a forecast from that day:

7thforecast.jpg

pretty benign one would have thought, and considering the chart for noon that day, a pretty reasonable forecast:

7thchart.jpg

The outlook as can be seen was for "cold & breezy" weather. That was certainly the understatement of the year!!!

Tune in next time for more* :D;)

*very limited time currently due to increasingly hellish college work, but will add more reports from that winter over the next few weeks. If anybody has any stories, pictures or just good old yarns about that great winter, please please share them with us. We are the winter starved ones..:o:D

Comments

heh here in the east as you know that winter culminated in the humungous snowfall of january 1982 ( circa 7th to 11th for the blizzard followed by a weeks freezing artic high ).
    The winter then ended.
    Mild gunk for the rest of jan,feb and march iirc.
    January '87 was fantastic.
    I now someone with photo's of snow lying on the frozen river avoca in Arklow from that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

heh here in the east as you know that winter culminated in the humungous snowfall of january 1982 ( circa 7th to 11th for the blizzard followed by a weeks freezing artic high ).
    The winter then ended.
    Mild gunk for the rest of jan,feb and march iirc.
    January '87 was fantastic.
    I now someone with photo's of snow lying on the frozen river avoca in Arklow from that time.

Late December 08' was good too................. Oooooooops

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Many a legend has passed through Boards.ie weather about winters past, and more especially the winters of the 80's.

Between studying and smoking today (more of the latter it has to be said..:pac:) I found time to have a skim of the Digital Archive of the Irish Times. Some great reports of the winters of the 80's. Such as the big blizzards of 84, the cold of 86 and 87 and so forth.

It would seem however, that the last truly great winter was that of 81/82.

A winter that began like any other day in meteorological terms on the 7th of December 1981.

Here is a forecast from that day:

7thforecast.jpg

pretty benign one would have thought, and considering the chart for noon that day, a pretty reasonable forecast:

7thchart.jpg

The outlook as can be seen was for "cold & breezy" weather. That was certainly the understatement of the year!!!

paddy1, maybe something like that is going to happen this weekend. they are only saying it will be cold enough for snow on the mountains. perhaps there will be blizzards in tuam:pac:

i tell you what though, after this consistently cold weather of late, if we don't get one significant snow event this winter i'm going to shake my fists towards the sky with great fury.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

err....wha' happened that day...

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

My sister was born on 10th December 1981 so I remember the time well. I was 8 years old at the time and we were living in Greystones, Co. Wicklow.

I remember a heavy snowfall and then a clear frosty night. We lived in an estate on a big hill, and being the 80's all the kids used to make their own karts from scrap wood and wheels. So the snow arrived and all manner of improvised sledges where hauled up the hill, from coal sacks and breadboards to the king of all sledges - the car bonnet!!

I remember people remarking at the time that it was very unusual to have this type of weather before XMas. I can only imagine what it was like here in Roundwood. Little did people know what was to happen only a few weeks later...

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

arctictree wrote: »
    So the snow arrived and all manner of improvised sledges where hauled up the hill, from coal sacks and breadboards to the king of all sledges - the car bonnet!!
    The breadboards where the ferrari of sledges where i grew up in Donaghmede. We use to ahem borrow the breadboards from the trolleys that where delivered into H Williams and Dunnes Stores. The Dunnes stores ramp in Donaghmede SC at the time was about 130 feet long hill made of tarmacaddem with a kerb right at the end. First one to make it to the kerb won but with a bang and a bump or two. At that age you just bounced and got back up and try to go faster. We had rope tied to them like a makeshift steering wheel and more aerodynamic.:cool:
    We didn't do the bonnet but there was a car door used once. :D

As the 80's went on, the concept improved and breadboards became more modified and lethal (faster) as the winters and freeze up came and went. When there was no snow, we used a bucket of water each, lobbed it down the ramp, wait 5 mins, frozed, and slid the night away. Hitting the dry patch when sliding down the ramp usually wasn't fun though :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah the winter of 81/82, the town gas bill for that January/RFebuary was 400 quid! The snow stood for a week but alas and alack we still went to school every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bins

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Snowbie wrote: »
    We didn't do the bonnet but there was a car door used once.

There is a golf course near us that has a really steep long hill with a bunker at the end. By '87 we had graduated to using this. That feckin car bonnet was lethal! I remember the look of terror on peoples faces as we whizzed down that hill and then slammed into the hillock before the bonnet and were all thrown into the air! Can't believe there weren't serious injuries!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I remember this one too, have some pics somewhere, the snow in our back garden was above my waist.

My favoured sleigh was the top of a christmas biscuit tin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Biscuit tin ftw! wack some oil on it and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

The 8th December '81 snow event happened on a day when the schools were shut - that day is a holy day! I have vague memories of snowball fights ands the usual home made sleighs!

The January 82 event was outstanding and has yet to be surpassed by anything since. There was a two foot snowdrift outside the hall door. My father's Cortina was off the road because the thermostat housing cracked with the cold. Another neighbours Cortina faired even worse when it popped a frost plug. In those days we had no central heating and wooden single glaze windows, yet nobody died ! And today, we moan when it reaches freezing point. :pac: !!

Everyone had a cortina :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

From the 9th of December 1981 in the Irish Times: The cold front shown in post 1 left a very cold and unstable airmass in its wake. This was the result:

Image1.jpg

9threport2.jpg

9threport3.jpg

9threport4.jpg

12 noon chart on the 8th:

8thChart.jpg

To be continued....:pac:

I lol'ed at the snow plough drivers going on strike at Heathrow, thinking if we had a reacurrance of that event here, there would be a dispute of some description over a union pay deal. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Amazing "arcticle" from the Irish Times! Imagining snow plough drivers as a job title in these parts is laughable, reading of them striking is delerious!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've no idea what date, but it was during this winter that -4C was recorded INSIDE in the middle of the dormitory in the boarding school I was in, some where in Dublin.
    Every morning there would be a thick layer of ice on the insides of the windows. Towels, face cloths etc were frozen stiff day after day.

To think my parents paid to send me there :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I was too young to remember 1981... but later in in the decade in January 1987 I do remember and that was cold with over 1 foot of snow, possibly more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

This distinctly stands out in my mind. I was living in Tallaght at the time and our house was at an angle such that the snow drifted up to just below the upstairs window against the house, you could have got out upstairs and slid down it. My dad then opened the front door to be confronted by a wall of snow, it was amazing when you're a kid but I'm pretty sure my dad wasn't too impressed ! He dug himself out anyway as he could get the shovel out of the shed at the back of the house as it was mostly sheltered. We then made little tunnels in the drifts out on the road, and never mind your bread boards, coal bags for the win !
    The other memory I have of that occasion was my dad having to hike to Dunnes Stores in Kilnamanagh for bread and milk which was being airlifted there at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah, good memories! I was about 7 years old, perfect age for playing in snow - we had a ball that week. We used an old press door that slid perfectly, none or yer car bonnet nonsense!
    Remember 87 better, mast have had 6 inches in a couple of hours, and on the main road a few cars had created slippery tracks in the snow - we would run out and grab on to the back bumper and get a tow along the compacted snow, great craic. When the squad car came along we all legged it behind a wall so they wouldnt catch us, only to see 2 lads on the back bumper of the squad car :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I was 9 at the time - aside from all the snow fun, jumping off walls into snow drifts, the rotation of constantly wet gloves on and off the radiators, etc., my overidding memory is that we got out first deep fat fryer - battered deep fried monkfish* and chips - mmmmm. :p

* monkfish was almost free in those days - too ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I remember this winter as well. A local family who where not that well to do's son had a pair of 70's platform boots, normally frowned on at all other times, suddenly became items of utmost jealousy.

God could he slide in them. He was like Torvilles Dean, he used to fly past us hunkered down and could turn around, go backwards etc. Amazing to see and still makes me chuckle to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,178 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I got married on 16th January 1982 (what a disaster that was) and there was still snow on the ground in central London. I remember getting a taxi to Dublin Airport on the 14th (6 days after the blizzard) and the snow on the main road leading to the airport (the main Dublin-Belfast road at that time) was piled in 10 foot banks either side of the road.

Moar snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah the winter of 81/82, the town gas bill for that January/RFebuary was 400 quid! The snow stood for a week but alas and alack we still went to school every day.

aw.. what a rip off... I got 2 weeks off school , which was spent diving head first off walls into snow drifts and sitting on a small square of lamaniated board flying down the side of a hill.... weeeeeeeee

ah.. happy memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

ah the memorys :)
    was in shankhill south dublin,if i remember correct it snowed for 2 days and three nights non stop!!! we were snowed in for a week the local shops were all out of stock,an american neighbour was out in his car pulling handbrakers and pulling us down the road,brilliant memorys :)
    hope we get more of the same :D

10th December 81 Chart at 12 noon:

Image5-2.jpg

From the Irish Times on next day (11th):

Image3-1.jpg

Image4.jpg

Forecast issued on the 11th:

Forecast.jpg

Imagine having a forecast like that today in 'modren' times...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I don't actually remember reading that article but reading similar throughtout the 80s, this was common with similar style reports. If that was good, little did anyone know that exactly one month later....sweeeet jebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

10th December 81 Chart at 12 noon:

Image5-2.jpg

From the Irish Times on next day (11th):

Image3-1.jpg

Image4.jpg

Forecast issued on the 11th:

Forecast.jpg

Imagine having a forecast like that today in 'modren' times...:D

indeed paddy1. hopefully some day we will:)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Unfortunately my memories of this event are rather foggy (:D) , more into wine , women , and song at that time (:rolleyes:) , 2 pics here from a batch marked 'winter 81' have a feeling they are from January but not 100% sure , one taken near Tralee (near late parents home) the 2nd not far from where i live nowdays.......... long long ago.......

9d92d74a49.jpg

c2a614e78f.jpg

No need of a snowplough here then , but still not bad for this ****e location .

• Advertisement

Fantastic photos Kerry, and great quality too. Looks like perfect snow to me. It looks like the kind of snow that you can lie in, feeling is lovely crunchiness without destroying its texture. Anytime it snows here lately it is just wet, see through stuff that has settled on waterlogged ground.

Love the sky too, came out perfect. Still the same ole look to it back then as now, but at least the weather was different and far more interesting below it than it truly is now. :o

Advertisement