Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter of 81/82

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just back in from having a few pints with some pals of my fathers, was talking to them about hard winters of times past, I remember 81-82 as the winter when the diesel froze in our tractors, but to them while it was cold it was nothing exceptional. One of them could remember someone driving three miles on the (frozen) Grand Canal in the late fifties/early sixties, and it was nothing exceptional to drive cattle to pasture over the frozen canal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

From The Irish Times, 12th December 1981:

1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

6.jpg

Mouth watering forecast issued on the 12th December 81:

8.jpg

12 Noon chart for the 12th December 81:

Image2-1.jpg

Sat pic taken at 11.33 am on the 12th December 81:

Zoomedsat.jpg

Northern half of the country in snow, as well hills of Munster. Dem were da days.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Far be it from me to interupt ye're reminiscing being born a year after this famous '87 I have no recollection. What I do recall is Winter '00-'01.

We recorded -13c min. and three days straight when the temperature failed to go above 0c and about 6inches of snow. I have pictures of being out with a bike in the middle of the turlough which was frozen over with about 8 inch thick ice (the snow froze on top of it ;) ) The neighbours tractor also conked due to frozen diesel in the tank.

I'm not saying it was better than way back when but it was only 7 years ago and it was good, probably the last real Winter we had to be honest and it was more exceptional than any I can recall in the past 15years.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=1105

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

spideog7 wrote: »
    Far be it from me to interupt ye're reminiscing being born a year after this famous '87 I have no recollection. What I do recall is Winter '00-'01.

00-01 has had a thread or 2 before, do a search. This is the first time 81-82 has been documented, and thanks to DE for the scans.
    By all means run a 00-01 thread, but lets keep this one on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Sorry, not trying to start a new one or pull this one off topic just reminding everyone it's not all in the past, there's still hope ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

8mm Film footage I took. Jan 82

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afss7QL4wAc

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

That '82 snow really is such a distant memory now. What I would do for another bit of winter weather like that! - or even half, feck it a quarter will do!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

dathi1 wrote: »
    8mm Film footage I took. Jan 82

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afss7QL4wAc

great stuff :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

great stuff :-)

+2 - great footage indeed! Where was this taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

+2 - great footage indeed! Where was this taken?

Walkinstown and Crumlin Road South Dublin. The car driving scene has the Children's Hospital on the left side. Notice all east facing roofs have no snow and west facing roofs are packed high. It was a deep easterly. :D I haven't seen 1 ft icicles since!

• Advertisement

Shhnips from the Irish Times December 15th 1981:

Image1-1.jpg
    Image2-2.jpg
    Image3-2.jpg
    Image4-1.jpg
    Image5-3.jpg
    Image7-1.jpg

Forecast Issued on the day:

Image8.jpg

At 12 noon, 15th December 1981:

Image9.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Great memories of that winter as a kid. I remember my uncle telling me he thought his car had been nicked when he woke up and looked out the window....but it was buried under snow.
    I also remember bread & milk etc. being flown into Tallaght by Helicopter.

From the Irish Times December 24th 81:

241.jpg
    242.jpg
    243.jpg

Forecast issued on that day:

244.jpg

Chart at 12 noon 24th Dec 1981:

245.jpg

European Temperatures at 1800hrs 24th December 81: (ECMWF Analysis)

247.jpg

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

This was the sight that confronted me, when I opened my front door, in Tallaght(Aylesbury), the morning of the big snow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Blizzerthj8

Hello.. Was just researching this for a Big Snow 1982 Fan Page we're involved in settting up on Facebook, and thought you might be interested in posting your stories or photos there. Check it out anyway: You could win a stove for your house...[URL="ttp://www.facebook.com/tos.php?api_key=9aaadc859a1c4c4ea7ef625c9b0c82ab&next=%3Ftoolbarid%3D867b3bb9-a66f-7423-08a1-4383b844a926&v=1.0&canvas#/pages/The-Big-Snow-January-1982/229933821825?ref=ts"]http://www.facebook.com/tos.php?api_key=9aaadc859a1c4c4ea7ef625c9b0c82ab&next=%3Ftoolbarid%3D867b3bb9-a66f-7423-08a1-4383b844a926&v=1.0&canvas#/pages/The-Big-Snow-January-1982/229933821825?ref=ts[/URL]

Thanks!

Advertisement