Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

top 10 books to read for fourth year

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Fad wrote: »
    +1 to all of them! (Don't read Haunted by Chuck though, just dont)

and +1 to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, I think I shall leave it until I have a good bit of time on my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is absolutely beautiful.

If you can. avoid reading the text you're going to do for the leaving.Yes, you'll be prepared, but you'll be sick of it soon enough when doing it in 5th or 6th year. Being bored during the first time of going through it, never mind the second or third, is a bad idea.

I agree with Paradise Lost being a very difficult book. I started reading it a few years ago, only to put it down after a few dozen pages. I'll return to it soon though, as I imagine it'd be extremely rewarding to finish.

Anything by Graham Hancock is brilliant, especially Fingerprints of the Gods and Heavens Mirror; they're not novels, just factual(ish).

Oh, if you have any interest in Maths or Physics, start reading Feynmans Lectures on Physics. The three volumes will take a long time to finish. But, reading them will almost guarantee you at least 3 A1's in the leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Insulting_Bitch

if you are still interested i have a few in mind but they have nothing to do with the levaing cert but they are awesome books

1- A clockwork orange - anthony burgess
    2 - Choke - Chuck Palahnuik (to be honest anything by him especially choke, invisible monsters and lullaby)
    3 - the dice man - Luke Rhinehart

And Ross O' Carroll Kelly is fine quality reading.....it's a sociological look at the youth of today HA HA HA HA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Noo, Choke is one of Chuck Palahniuk's worst books! Fight Club, Invisible Monsters (though as that was his first it's a bit rough around the edges), Lullaby and Survivor are the best. Well, I haven't read anything after Haunted so I can't comment on them.

Well, I haven't read anything after Haunted so I can't comment on them.

Probably a good reason for that :p

First story *Shudder*

Maybe it's less painful for members of the fairer sex?

I started Survivor, didnt really enjoy so I left it, went back to Coupland (Remarkably there's books he wrote I still havent read)

Probably a good reason for that :p

First story *Shudder*

Maybe it's less painful for members of the fairer sex?

I started Survivor, didnt really enjoy so I left it, went back to Coupland (Remarkably there's books he wrote I still havent read)
    Should mention I didn't read Haunted, either. : p Well, I've read Guts which I believe is in Haunted, but am just immune to it now. (I was at a reading of Guts too, actually. Nobody fainted, alas.)

Should mention I didn't read Haunted, either. : p Well, I've read Guts which I believe is in Haunted, but am just immune to it now. (I was at a reading of Guts too, actually. Nobody fainted, alas.)

It is, and no matter how many times I read, I still cringe, next time I attempt to read it, I'm skipping that story.

Reading? I hate you.

I still have one up though! (I met Terry Pratchett :p)

• Advertisement

It is, and no matter how many times I read, I still cringe, next time I attempt to read it, I'm skipping that story.

Reading? I hate you.

I still have one up though! (I met Terry Pratchett :p)
    Hm... when he came to Trinity the other week?
    Though, at the reading I met Chuck Palahniuk and he put a fake hand on my friend's boob, and we photographed it, which was fairly awesome.

(And Guts is amazing. Somewhat over the top, but I love the bit where all the ingredients for his "carrot cake" are rolling down the conveyer belt in the supermarket and he speculates how the girl on the till thinks he's going to put a carrot cake up his ass now.)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

jimi_t wrote: »
    Roald Dahl's later stuff is absolutely amazing as well, start with something like 'Switch Bitch' or 'Going Solo'.

+1

What about Oscar Wilde? The Picture of Dorian Gray, as well as some of his plays- The Importance of Being Earnest, Lady Windemere's Fan. And some of his short stories.

You could also try some poetry- there are some really good general anthologies out there. Try not to read them from school books though, something about school books just makes me want to hate the poems :P.

Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility are great too. And anything by Roddy Doyle.

Are you only reading classics, or are you interested in other things too?

Advertisement