Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fried my Card Reader

Options
  • 10-12-2008 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

well today iv upgraded my system
    Old Emachines Upgraded with
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600@2.4Ghz || SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 512MB || CORSAIR 4GBKIT (2X2GB) 800MHZ || WD 640GB Caviar 7200RPM
    and i accidently fried my card reader and also a usb port, both were on the front kinda like an extension.
    I figured i put the little connector(like THIS one) into the wrong connection..cause at my 1st boot a trail of smelly smoke was coming outa of the card reader. any ideas wheather its dead is there any hope? or should i try some other connections but i have no clue which one

My Mobo
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2693&ProductName=GA-G31M-S2L

PS: i spent around 400 on my upgrade and i went from barely being able playing Far Cry 2 to MAX + AA settings..with solid 40-70 frames. wowzers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well, did you connect it to a usb header or did you just randomly connect it to any header? I hope not....

Did you upgrade the PSU in that machine? It's quite likely at deaths door trying to power that lot, E-Machines of all brands are particularly budget orientated, I've seen relatively new machines equipped with the basics to power the original hardware (250-300w, weak rails).

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

yea i got a new power supply..matter of fact i got it a while back..its an OCZ 500W, and yea i think i didnt pay attention and just put it into um randoom header.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hoser wrote:
    well today iv upgraded my system
    Quote:
    Old Emachines Upgraded with
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600@2.4Ghz || SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 512MB || CORSAIR 4GBKIT (2X2GB) 800MHZ || WD 640GB Caviar 7200RPM
    Hoser wrote:
    yea i got a new power supply..matter of fact i got it a while back..its an OCZ 500W

Oh dear.

I'll be very glad for you (and possibly perplexed/impressed) if you manage to get that lot running stable.

But if you do... please... don't try to OC anything, mmmkay? :o That PSU is going to be at its very limit, and FSP-based PSUs don't like being pushed anywhere much...

And I'm guessing you managed to hook the card reader up to either the AC97 audio header (if its an unshielded one that doesn't have pinblocks) or the FireWire mobo connector... I've seen Fujitsu senior techs do that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

Solitaire wrote: »
    Oh dear.

I'll be very glad for you (and possibly perplexed/impressed) if you manage to get that lot running stable.

But if you do... please... don't try to OC anything, mmmkay? :o That PSU is going to be at its very limit, and FSP-based PSUs don't like being pushed anywhere much...

And I'm guessing you managed to hook the card reader up to either the AC97 audio header (if its an unshielded one that doesn't have pinblocks) or the FireWire mobo connector... I've seen Fujitsu senior techs do that :p

well so far it seems to be running great..no trouble..only problem is the blue screen of death once in a while.
    and on other tech forums they mentioned 500W for the lot will be ok and there would be also some room to breathe. ill check that again.

so anytakes on the card reader is it chiken now or can it still run..as soon i saw the smoke i shut the power off...maybe i saved it?

Advertisement