Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in ennis?

• 10-12-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Any decent gyms in ennis, preferably in the city, not for membership but rather as a pay as you go customer...i also heard there's a pool, what's the story with that, cheap to use, good facilities?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Ennis leisure center is very central, like everywhere monthly memberships apply, but they have good rates,

http://www.clarecoco.ie/Leisure_and_Tourism/Ennis_Leisure_Complex.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As Bobby said, the pool (I mean Leisure Centre) is the best place for you, in fact it's straight across the road from where you'll be working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Brill, thanks, folks, ye've been helpful:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kjohnson

Hi Guys,
    Just tried out the new Gym Ozone Health & Fitness. Wow. Ennis has been waiting for this for years. The staff are fantastic and give great advice. Its not full of muscle heads but has a great mixture of clients. They just installed saunas and are updating equipment all the time. They have a rate of 1 euro a day for yearly members. They dont have a pool, but I never go to the gym to swim anyway. They are hurting other gyms since their arrival as I met a lot of members from a certain Hotel gym who are signing up. They have treatment suites upstairs and a great aerobics hall. They have colonic irrigation Physiotherapy (the guy with the Clare Hurling team) and a great massage facility, all at discounted rates if you are a gym member. Give it a try and see for yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

Used to be a member of Riverlodge at the back of the auburn, if you want a pool as well as a gym then its very nice, headphones and lcd tv's on all the gym equipment, nice big showers too and unlike the ennis public pool its not freezing and full of muscle bound polish lads on steroids...
    They used to do a 3 month membership which might work out cheaper than pay as you use.... depending on how many times you use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Kjohnson,
    Hmmmmm...do you have an affilliation with Ozone by any chance? It's strange for you to join boards.ie today to rave about the fantastic new gym.

Or am I getting paranoid in my old age ?

.....just the old age Im afraid.... I am a member now though... dont have to believe me about it you can see for yourself.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It would be a great way of advertising to come on here and to offer a visit or a discounted first visit or something (in case anyone is watching :))

The gym in Woodstock has opened up again btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

Is ozone big? do they have much free weights?

Ive been told that its the largest free weight section in Clare... up to 50kilo (not that I can Lift these) free weights, I used to be in UL and they definatly have more than there...

• Advertisement

.... sorry to answer question about the size.... its about three times bigger than the West (my last gym) so yeagh its big...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The Woodstock pool/gym was very nice. I used to sneak in on my dads membership occasionally.

The Ennis pool one is a bit meh.. but it's cheap. I only go to gyms occasionally so I prefer to pay as you go rather than have a membership. One pet pieve of mine is they have the running machines facing into a wall. I hate how most gyms do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

Gyms are in Ennis are fairly appalling if you are into lifting, a few ****ty machines here and there and that's about it. Might check this place out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 S O

I would have to agree with Clareman in saying that kjohnson is using this site as a form of advertising. Where are the site watchdogs?
    There is no colonic irrigation or physiotherapy there .....don't know what he is talking about....!!! Misleading advertising at that!
    I don't think that there are many people out there joining gyms in these recessionary times and would think they will seriously struggle to complete with combined gym and pool facilities. €365 per year is a lot of money these days.
    Big but empty I would say!

Appreciate what your saying but not associated.... Colonic Hydrotherapy bookings being taken and clinic starting Next Friday....check Ultimatehealth.ie theyre taking bookings for Ozone.. Clare Hurling team Physio starting first of June....Leon Raath..I rang and asked him before I joined... but as you say this is all bull**** and there is really no one there... have a good one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 S O

Ooops! Hope you don't use that kind of bad language and attitude with your customers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

S O wrote: »
    Big but empty I would say!

What negative speculation!

I've heard great things about this place, more importantly they're providing jobs. Also, €365 a year is quite good, especially if you have the use of a pool and the availability of certain treatments.

Before you knock it, try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Yeah, chill out a bit SO and Clareman. Perhaps he's affiliated but it's relevant to the discussion and it's not like he's spamming the board with advertising.

I don't think anybodys going to go slap down a subscription on the basis of something said on a message board. Just pointing out what's out there so you can go visit it and decide yourself.

Well guys... I was just getting back to a question from a post... I am not affilliated, but yes I am now a member, Its no skin off my nose if people do or dont use the Gym.... Im entitled to my opinion... mabye if ye check it out ye wont like it?... but Ill stick by my opinion....... take care...kj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Ennis Leisure Centre is pay as you go as well, I think 4.50 bfore 6pm and 6 euro after 6pm, but worth a phonecall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mazar

YES AGREE WITH the affliation lark below sounds a bit suss....rang a few gyms yest and the River lodge is 200 euro for 3 months is this not daylight robbery??where is this famous recession??I used to be a member there for the year and it was 50 a month which was bad enough....also rang ozone...is it a bit like a barn???looks un gym like from the outside!!!and is woodstock tiny inside??

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

I'm presently looking at joining a gym but being on a budget i'm trying to get value for money.I went to OZONE yesterday and wasn'y impressed,no pool ,very small area and they wanted 60 euro for a month trial.That is rediculous money for a month,all i want to do is try it out before i commit to a year's membership.
    Next stop was kingfisher at the clare inn,nice pool,large area for exercise machines,staff were very helpfull, They even offered me a free week trial before i commit to membershipThe only drawback there is if Lynch hotel's don't come out of their present financial difficulties where would i stand with my membership.They said any kingfisher gym would honour it ,but i dont feel like travelling long distance if the need required.I'm going to have a look at woodstock and ennis leisure centre today.Would anyone have any other suggestions for me ..Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

I just extended my membership in Ozone for 3 months for €120 (offer ends tomorrow!). I have to say I find them brilliant in there, always on hand to give assistance and guidance on tweaking the exercise so that it's more effective. Also there is plenty of space around the weights and floor exercise area when compared to some other places!

It feels like more of a gym (to me) than any of the ones at hotels or the leisure center. You can pay as you go at €8 a session, I don't think that's excessive compared to prices that are normally charged at gyms.

I joined Ennis Leisure last year but only used their gym 3 times as could never get near the weights (always a group of big beefy guys taking up the whole area, I felt very intimidated LOL) and there was nowhere to do any floor exercise. Also found it impossible to get a decent swim in during public hours as they would let guys play football in the pool and they would progressively take over more of the pool :( (and no, they weren't kids!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Thanks Woggie:)
    I ended up taking a months trial at the lesiure centre ,10 visits for 40 euro,I will be using it during the daytime so i don't expect it to be too busy for comfort.I was there today at noon and there was about seven people using the facilities.So now ,the cigarettes are going in the bin and i'm going to turn a new leaf.
    *how many times have i said that*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

my sister was looking to join a gym as well, she found that by ringing the different gyms up directly and haggling a little does get you a bit off.
    She had the same problems as above posts with the public pool/gym in ennis to many meatheads and a freezing pool. Ozone might be nice but it has no pool. Personally I think the two nicest places in town are woodstock and the river lodge but expect to pay slightly more than for the west etc.
    but as with everything you get what you pay for...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Thanks Woggie:)
    So now ,the cigarettes are going in the bin and i'm going to turn a new leaf.
    Fair play to you, I wish you every success with that!
    I binned mine 6 years ago and never looked back - best thing you'll ever do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Meenross1

I have now been a member of the Riverlodge (behind the Auburn Hotel) for 2 months now. I signed a 6 months contract for 350 and got a month extra free as I said i might have a few more family members who would be interested in joining. I have to say the place is spick and span. always people cleaning and always polite no matter who is working. Everyone is trained in there I was told an even a personal trainer. As this is a new thing for me (entering the gym) i have to say they are so nice and there is no waiting to use equipment and things like others have mentioned in the others gyms. The pool is lovely and warm and even though the steam room was not working they just informed me that they were getting a new one installed down stairs the following day. The chidrens hours are great as i like to go to gym and then relax in the pool after. there is no screaming children around after 6pm. it was busy with the hotel over the last few weeks but this is to be expected. I have to say I know its a bit dearer than a lot of places in Ennis but as one person said you really do get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clarehurler

On the days when im not getting personal training I go to the ennis leisure, been going there since i was young and lads are well friendly, but they think they know it all...kinda like myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

anyone have any idea what the prices are like for kingfisher in ennis? a rough estimate would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

KD11 wrote: »
    anyone have any idea what the prices are like for kingfisher in ennis? a rough estimate would do.

Why don't you ring them I daresay they are in the phone book.

Advertisement