Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price comparison uk and republic

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

ok start with wine then cava. as this time year it the season
    thingy... portuguese rose asda 2.47 sainsbury 2.69 and tesco here 6.69 same stuff as manfus rose stuff sorry spellning, cava champers here 9.99 cheapest asda at 4pounds ripoff worth the trip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

bee_dix wrote: »
    thingy... portuguese rose asda 2.47 sainsbury 2.69 and tesco here 6.69 same stuff as manfus rose stuff sorry spellning, cava champers here 9.99 cheapest asda at 4pounds ripoff worth the trip

Never mind the spelling, what happened to the punctuation...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭bee_dix

sorry i did say my spelling was bad in post. please dont hold it againest me.. just letting people know of the savings....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

sorry i did say my spelling was bad in post. please dont hold it againest me.. just letting people know of the savings....

I know, I replied in jest! Take no notice! (No one else does!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Isn't wine massively taxed here - I know the French have complained about it with various finance ministers over the years?

Its about 10 years since the excise duty on beer was increased, whereas that on wine has consistently been raised, as recently as the last budget when it went up 50c.

So in this case the 'rip-off' may not be solely down to profiteering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yes, wine is heavily taxed in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

come back with the pre-tax price and try again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

jhegarty wrote: »
    come back with the pre-tax price and try again.

Who cares what the pre-tax price is. I can't pay the pre-tax price. Can you?

Although probably not a consumer issue. More suitable for bargain alerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have to agree that this is not a Consumer Issue but may be a Bargain Alert. Price differences do not always mean profiteering or Rip-off. I'm getting P***ed off with people crying Rip-off every time they find something cheaper somewhere else.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Who cares what the pre-tax price is. I can't pay the pre-tax price. Can you?
    I care what the pretax price is, then you can see if it is the shop, or the government "ripping you off", and go complain to whoever it is, instead of innocent young sales assistants on minimum wage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

rubadub wrote: »
    I care what the pretax price is, then you can see if it is the shop, or the government "ripping you off", and go complain to whoever it is, instead of innocent young sales assistants on minimum wage.

He wasn't advocating going complaining to anyone though. He was saying vote with your feet. Complaining to a sales assistant will never get you anywhere (I used to be one a loooooong time ago). It'll only get you your rights and not a bit more.

The government is not going to change the tax rate (in my opinion). The pubs are already losing business to people sitting at home with wine and other off license booze. I can't see the vintners not screaming about millions (might be an exaggeration there) of jobs being lost if wine was €2 - €4 a bottle cheaper down here.

Anyway interesting article here on the tax
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/News_+_Research/Consumer_News/Tax_ruling_could_favour_online_shoppers.html

I didn't know it was so expensive here. On the plus side you can bring 90L of wine through customs for personal consumption. Now I just have to find a forklift.

• Advertisement

He wasn't advocating going complaining to anyone though.
    he might not have been but there are countless other threads doing it, people just figure it is profiteering which is not always the case.

Also if everybody buys up north they lose on VAT, and will just end up charging more tax in other areas to make up the shortfall.

I still buy from other countries, it is just a form of tax avoidance in my book, but I am in interested in the pretax figures, to see if it is the shop pulling a fast one, thats all my point is.

Many pub owners are just like ticket touts in my mind, they snapped up overpriced pubs knowing they could overcharge willing people who were willing to pay over the odds for a service. I have no sympathy for them, just like a tout who would snap up a load of tickets over face value and then be stuck with them. The gig is cancelled lads, everybody has gone home to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rubadub wrote: »
    I would like to see the "shopping basket" figures, I bet I, and most people, pay nowhere near what they said.
    I've seen some of these in the course of my job in the past, and they're usually a bit of a joke, not even remotely like any typical basket of goods I've ever bought, and with a heavy bias towards processed foods and junk. Very little in the way of fresh meat, veg or fruit for example, and lots of fizzy drinks, biscuits and cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

When we compare prices from Tesco UK to Tesco Éire or M&S UK to M&S Éire I hear several people saying about the high taxes, high wages, high rent etc. But fact is, allowing for these, the UK based stores are still adding on.

Ok we have higher VAT. I do not think Tesco/M&S wages are that much higher than London. As for high rents/rates, this all depends on location. I am sure that its costly for M&S in Marble Arch for instance. Also the more expensive location usually means the more passing traffic.

When the GB£1 was €1.50 (and more) M&S were selling a UK item of £1 at €1.50 in Éire, and they were making good profits.

Now that £1 = €1.14 they are still charging the same €1.50 in Éire for £1 item in UK.
    People are getting angry.:mad: People are peeling back the £ stickers.:eek: People are speaking out (with their cars up the M1).

If the only difference in price beween UK an Éire was the VAT, I would nearly always buy here in Éire rather than online. But this seldom is the case. Have done almost all my Christmas shopping online this year.

Boo

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Its quite simple.

Different tax systems.

In the south we are very much a consumption tax model, whilst in the uK its higher tax at source & local tax. (council tax of £3000 in London, paid for from your after tax income!)

Tax on sparkling wine is near €5 + vat per bottle. So €6 incl vat before ANY other cost is taken into account.

Wait til UK budget next April - They will be hiking all alcohol & fuel by substantial amounts.

darc wrote: »

Tax on sparkling wine is near €5 + vat per bottle. So €6 incl vat before ANY other cost is taken into account.

Wait til UK budget next April - They will be hiking all alcohol & fuel by substantial amounts.
    I was not talking about items with excise duty or customs duty. Items with excise duty are even more expensive (up to double) due to the the excise duty.

Boo

boopolo wrote: »
    But fact is, allowing for these, the UK based stores are still adding on.
    But in fairness they just add on to match what the market will pay. They are around the same price as the other irish owned stores. If they really did work to the same profits etc as the UK and if they really were that different (I don't think they are), then you would have loads of threads moaning about these UK companies coming in and Irish companies not being able to compete!
    If the only difference in price beween UK an Éire was the VAT
    Yes but it very complex. If a company goes bust here then the taxpayer is paying for the person on the dole etc, and as an remoter island you can expect delivery costs to be more. So in the long run it can end up costing you more. But like you & most people I will also just go for the cheapest I can get.

How can this item cost £16 (€18.21), and a camera shop in Blanchardstown SC cost €50 (almost 3 times). It is not even a real Canon product. Even add all the duty difference in VAT etc. I'd say it is more than double.

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

You are comparing on online retailer run from house, small office somewhere to a shop in shopping centre with highest rent in ireland, electricity, insurance, business rates, etc..

Not a fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thingy... portuguese rose asda 2.47 sainsbury 2.69 and tesco here 6.69 same stuff as manfus rose stuff sorry spellning,

Why compare Asda and Sainsburys with Tesco Ireland? How much is it in Tesco UK?

cava champers here 9.99 cheapest asda at 4pounds ripoff worth the trip

To save a fiver? Hardly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

agree with both the last 2 posters, gotta compare like with like, not the most expensive in the whole of ireland with the cheapest in the whole of the uk

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    You are comparing on online retailer run from house, small office somewhere to a shop in shopping centre with highest rent in ireland, electricity, insurance, business rates, etc..

Not a fair comparison.
    I agree with you to an extent. I would expect to pay more from the store. But the difference is excessive in some cases.

The reason that the rent is higher in some S Centres is a seperate issue. This paticular SC would argue that their expensive rents reflect the amount of expososure the shop will get from passing customers etc. and in turn create higher volume of sales. Does not always work out that way, due to many factors not excluding that the store may have a bad business model.

Maybe that is the reason that I was the only one in this store. Maybe they prefer to sell low quantaties with high markup rather than sell high quantaties with less of a markup.

Boo

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

boopolo wrote: »
    How can this item cost £16 (€18.21), and a camera shop in Blanchardstown SC cost €50 (almost 3 times). It is not even a real Canon product. Even add all the duty difference in VAT etc. I'd say it is more than double.

Boo

Bricks and mortar photographic shops, both here and in the UK, are notoriously expensive.

The only time that I would get a Canon-brand battery would be when it came with the initial camera purchase. The world is riddled with reliable and cheaper alternatives. The one referred to in your link, a Hahnel, has a good name, this particular German company having a factory in Ireland.

www.shop4memory.com is irish and cheap. I bet if I went up north I could find similar differences in a small camera shop and one of their products.

Also electronics like that are continually plummeting in price, moreso with memory cards. These small shops might well have paid a fortune for the item at the time. Amazon would obviously have economies of scale and bulk by, that shop might have bought a single one, from their agent, who could well rip them off.

Also it is the type of item you are easily overcharged on, since few people would know what to expect to pay.

I am not surprised it was almost 3 times more, I would usually expect even more on stuff like that.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Bricks and mortar photographic shops, both here and in the UK, are notoriously expensive.

The only time that I would get a Canon-brand battery would be when it came with the initial camera purchase. The world is riddled with reliable and cheaper alternatives. The one referred to in your link, a Hahnel, has a good name, this particular German company having a factory in Ireland.
    As you mention this. When I bought the Ixus 400 over 5 years ago I got the original battery + a Hahnel (bout £20 extra). The Hahnel gave up inside 24 months, and the Canon original has just given up.

I know i can buy a similar spec camera (with higher MPX), but this camera is a really well built machine and has travelled all around the world.

Just ordered 2 cheapies from HK £7.50 each.

Boo

Advertisement