Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much for a celica?

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

How much would I be expected to pay for a Celica? The vvtl-i version(190bhp) (00-02)

on carzone there on sale for bout the 10k mark but would they realistically get this in todays market climate?I thought they would have dropped a good bit in price.

would you say I'd be better off to try and get one from the U.K (U.K celicas apperantly have a better spec) but then theres the hassle of vrt and cusotms etc

Any advice greatly apprieciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

VRT is a doddle, it's really not a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Drive a 190 bhp here before you buy... power kicks in worse then the worst turbo lag of years ago. very ordinary then screams at you .. not the most pleasant of screams either , i think the 140 better every day car.
    Have you considered an Mr2/MRS much lighter with same engine and RWD with slippy diff !!! (standard)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

i was looing at the mr2 alrite (95 one)
    there a grand car but maybe a bit too sporty?:confused:
    their gettin on a bit too. i wouln't be gone on the newer ones

i really have my heart set on the celica tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The 95 MR2 is the Mk 2, the other poster was referring to the Mk 3 MR2. It has the 1.8 140bhp engine.
    If it's power you're after and don't mind using all of the rev range while keeping good oil in your car then go for the 190. If you don't care so much for power just want something nice with good handling then go for the 140 Celica. Cheaper and easier to find a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

biggus wrote: »
    Drive a 190 bhp here before you buy... power kicks in worse then the worst turbo lag of years ago. very ordinary then screams at you .. not the most pleasant of screams either , i think the 140 better every day car.
    Have you considered an Mr2/MRS much lighter with same engine and RWD with slippy diff !!! (standard)

Thats coming from someone who doesn't know how to drive the 190 properly, learn to keep it in lift. It's one of the best handling front wheel drive cars you can get. Google for some reviews.

• Advertisement

I'd perfer to get the 190 bhp celica because its nice to know that the extra power is there if/when I might need it!

so would I be better off to import from the U.K. or to buy it here?

Do ye think they'll drop in price here sometime soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Don't listen to the rubbish about "get the 140" I've had both and the 190 is far superior. It handles very well too and it's in fact the only car I regret selling! I'd get a UK spec car if I was you, with a good history and you'll get them cheap these days.

I check carzone every now and then to see if my old car is around and the cars that are there are always there... people just can't sell them, so you'll get them cheap!

this car looks good http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Celica/1.8-VVT-/200840190269122/advert

the colour is Storm Blue, almost black with blue flake.

i saw that car on there before alrite and it was up for €10500.

the only thing bothering me about it is the mileage is high
    is that still a reasonable asking price considering the mileage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Also if you got this for 5k sterling http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/771857.htm

with flight over shipping back and VRT you should get it landed and registered here for about €8,750 all in.

865111242e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

190bhp car is way better, had a 01 model and sold it last february
    Had 95000 miles and sold it for 12000

I had it two years and dorve 40000 miles or more in it, very reliable car and fun to drive
    Can be kept in lift all the time if needed!!!!

If I can sell my own car in new year will be looking at going back to a celica for a while

• Advertisement

would i be safe enough to go for the car with 91k on the clock?
    how much would you say id be able to get off the 9500 price tag?

only thing about buying a car with high mileage
    Depending on how much mileage you do each year could be hard to sell in year two years time
    Car might be very reliable, but people in general shy away from high mileage cars
    thats why they are so cheaper

GigaByte wrote: »
    Thats coming from someone who doesn't know how to drive the 190 properly, learn to keep it in lift. It's one of the best handling front wheel drive cars you can get. Google for some reviews.

I've won A finals in mondello rallyX so i know how to keep a car on the cam.
    I believe this car is to be used on Irish publc roads so yes i'm right it's too peaky

biggus

Cant see how you rate the 140 as a better car though
    190 can be drive economically, then if needed extra speed is there
    Needs to be driven hard to get it ,but that is part of the fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

biggus wrote: »
    I've won A finals in mondello rallyX so i know how to keep a car on the cam.
    I believe this car is to be used on Irish publc roads so yes i'm right it's too peaky

:rolleyes: So where's the lag in lift?

Below where the high lift kicks in they're dead ( like old turbo lag like i said)

Back on subject
    Op drive both and the later MR2

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

+1 for mr2 mk2/3, in my opinion a superior drive to the celica 140, havn't driven a 190 yet. but i'd say give them all a drive.

btw, I'm selling a mr2 but wouldn't recommend it from what you have said, but if you'd like a test drive for comparison i'm a pm away and in the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Deffo get the 190, avoid the 140.

One thing to be aware of there was a recall on some of the early 2000-2002 vvtl-i engines where the original lift bolts that engage the extra power were defective and were replaced under warrenty with stronger ones and as far as I know this is the only issue with the engine. Here's a link...

http://www.celicahobby.com/tech/tsb2/TSB_liftbolts.pdf

Advertisement