Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i get saltpetre for making corned beef ?

Options
  • 10-12-2008 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You could try asking your local butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Some chemists carried it years ago.

Not quite what you're looking for, but this place carries bacon curing mixes. Would that do?
    I've only bought sausage supplies from them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i may be wrong, but i thought you would need a licence to buy it (you do in the UK anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

i may be wrong, but i thought you would need a licence to buy it (you do in the UK anyway)
    Yes, it's an ingredient for making gunpowder isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Alun wrote: »

it is indeed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Alun wrote: »
    Otherwise known as postassium nitrate and a feature of Brendan Behan's "Fenian Conjuror Kit".

Talk nicely to a proper pharmacist, they should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

well it sounds a bit dodgey, thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

www.sausagemaking.org definitely sell it. Not sure on shipping rules. You can cure the meat without it, just won't be as pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Sausagemaking.org is a great site, but when I used it they had a flat rate of £20 shipping - ok if you get some bulky items, but no good for smaller stuff. That's why I use Weschenfelder (linked above) for ingredients/skins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I remember buying it when I was a kid in a chemist. We used to mix it with suger wrapped in a tissue and closed with an elastic band. Stick a lighted match in it and run away quickly!!!
    Makes a great smoke bomb. Bright blue flame as it burned and smoke EVERYWHERE...ah...those were the days :D

Probably banned now though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You will find it hard to buy, even from chemists.
    I asked a chemist about it and she wouldn't even order it for me..
    My butcher told me that the guards had been in asking if they used Saltpetre for curing hams, and they no longer used it.
    FFS it is used in making blackpowder not fricking plastic explosive!
    Jebus wept what kiind of nanny state are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/beef/Pages/TraditionalDrySpicedBeef.aspx

Gerry Ryan talkin bout spiced beef today. Sounds yummy. Cork dish. Saltpetre needed in 2 recipes off net.

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/recipes/cooking/spice.shtm

Maybe if I go to chemist dressed as a chef they'll get me some. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I tried getting it before. talked to people in the dept of Ag, safefood and eventually got some mixed with NaCl from somewhere in England. postage was only 2 or 3 pounds for a kg of the mix.

There's very little issue once it's mixed, apart from the size of the grain of the salt mightn't be to your liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a small amount ~100g or so, plenty for my limited use anyway.
    I used it in the weekend to make a brine for my Xmas ham, Cider, Apple juice, Muscovado sugar, molasses and Salt + Saltpetre.
    It is essential if you are intending on doing any kind of Dry cure meats, Salami etc, Saltpetre inhibits Botulism which is handy as Botulism is pretty hard to recover from:D

Advertisement