Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange back boiler!!

Options
  • 10-12-2008 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

hi there hope i am posting in the right place.sorry if not.
    i have the an odd back boiler.its a solid fuel back boiler.heats up just fine,however if i dont turn on the circulating pump it wont heat even 1 rad.not a problem if the electric power is working.its a duel system with oil too.no problem with oil.hot rads,water etc.arent these systems gravity fed so shouldnt at least one upstairs rad get hot even without pump.have explained this to plumbers and they are stumped.any ideas would be great kind regards,:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

That's not unusual. The backboiler gravity circuit certainly should go straight up to the cylinder and heat your hot water (and continue up to the header tank in the attic), but there is probably a branch off linking to the rads and the oil system. There may be non return valves fitted and the pump may have to circulate the water in a certain direction to get the rads to heat.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

LIS wrote: »
    hi there hope i am posting in the right place.sorry if not.
    i have the an odd back boiler.its a solid fuel back boiler.heats up just fine,however if i dont turn on the circulating pump it wont heat even 1 rad.not a problem if the electric power is working.its a duel system with oil too.no problem with oil.hot rads,water etc.arent these systems gravity fed so shouldnt at least one upstairs rad get hot even without pump.have explained this to plumbers and they are stumped.any ideas would be great kind regards,:confused:

I'm suspecting the water would need to push though the circulating pump (thats on the CH system), which is not switched on. You'd need to bypass this pump I'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

i assume its not going to blow up anytime so.its just that on a few occasions when the power is cut i am worried that a build up of pressure wouldnt be good.a plumber told me that there is a pressure valve to combat this.cant say i have ever seen it work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

There should be a safety valve close to the back boiler. It would normally only blow if your pipes freeze or are blocked some way. If the system boils the water will push up the overflow pipe into the small tank in the attic. Water will come down from this tank to replace the boiled off water. Your system is quite normal. With a duel system, you can't just have water flowing freely arount the system or you might have the back boiler heating when the oil is on and vise versa.
    Jim.

Advertisement