Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 mobile broadband - oughterard galway

• 10-12-2008 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I live in oughterard in galway and can get no broadband via dsl or wireless broadband so mobile broadband is my only option.

Not sure what the coverage is like oughterard/conamara direction so if anyone knows anything that would be great. The map on their website isnt much help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you can try it out for 14 days and return it for a full refund but:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306

and it's been known to work very well for the first 14 days and as soon as you're tied into the year contract the quality drops

maybe get the pre pay one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you can try it out for 14 days and return it for a full refund....

Is that offer (14day and refund if not happy) still running? Hadn't seen any adds for it anywhere for a while and checking www.three.ie I didn't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ttm wrote: »
    Is that offer (14day and refund if not happy) still running? Hadn't seen any adds for it anywhere for a while and checking www.three.ie I didn't see it.

i've heard nothing about it stopping. i doubt it

jen_23 on this thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055419065&page=2

sent it back within 14 days only a few weeks ago. of course they didn't actually stop the direct debit and continued to take his money as is a depressingly common occurence with them but the offer still stands, incompetence aside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Three is not broadband , does not work and has some of the worst customer service in Ireland . Apart from all that it is great as a cheap and nasty dial up substitute

Furthermore 3 only have coverage to the west of Oughterard , I would not bother if I was on the Galway side but also there is O2 who also cover west of Oughterard. Vodafone are in the town . The only 3g product not live in Oughterard is eircom . O2 have the best 3g coverage overall in Connemara whereas 3 only have a few cells and no backhaul .

The best bet east of Oughterard and North of Oughterard on the Glann or lake side is The Wan aka Airwire .

start here

http://doc.thewan.net/map/map.php

and here

http://doc.thewan.net/wiki/index.php/Getting_Connected...

also here

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/coverage

Unlike 3 , it works !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

The 14 day trial is not an offer but rather a policy of the company, it is on going and has been in place since 3 first launched in Ireland and applies to both broadband and phones

• Advertisement

Getting out of it with yore wallet intact is the real trial :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Wan aka Airwire .

The Wan is not Airwire or the other way around. Airwire sponsors a lot of bits for TheWan, due to my personal involvement. The two networks do not share infrastructure and are only connected in two places (Moycullen and Mervue)

In regards to Oughterard, Airwire has got a base in Rosscahill and Cornamona, so coverage can be possible. There's plans to get another one up either on Doorus Island or in the hills behind it, maybe at the sawmill in Cornamona, that could cover into Oughterard, but that's not been finalized.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager
    Airwire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mjconn

An update on 3 mobile broadband coverage in oughterard.

I purchased a 3 usb modem yesterday and tried it out.....and not a sniff of a signal in oughterard. The guy in the shop told me that it should pick up a signal....then I called tec support and they said its extremly unlikely that I'll get a decent 3g signal. They told me to wait until this evening to see if I can pick up anything...and if not to return it. Oh well!

So to anybody past moycullen...stay away from 3 broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

After you return the modem, write a letter to your bank instructing them not to accept any direct debits from Three, otherwise they will charge you for it.

I told you so , the three coverage map is rubbish of the kind that would only be tolerated in Ireland :(

Now get into your branch and give them a written instruction not to accept that DD the minute you hand the dongle back in the shop . Make sure you have a "returned in full" receipt from the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mjconn

I told them that I was going to use it as Pay as you go so that I wouldnt get caught giving them any bank details. Told them straigh out that I was just taking it to test it out, they obviously thought it was worth it.

Il just have to spend my days looking at the internet at work!

Advertisement