Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keep getting Flashed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Truck drivers are also a lot higher up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hate xenon lights. They are pretty damn blinding:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Hate xenon lights. They are pretty damn blinding:mad:

Only if you have an eyesight problem to begin with. Drive mainly in the dark and never have an issue, except when I'm a little tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I even hate the people on the other side of the dual carraigeway/motorway who wont dip their headlights. If I can see you you can see me, dip your lights.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

ninty9er wrote: »
    Only if you have an eyesight problem to begin with. Drive mainly in the dark and never have an issue, except when I'm a little tired.

I dont mind it at the distance. Just when they are about to pass you on a small country road that just about fits 2 cars, it can be a stuggle. Most times I will slow down near to a stop and let them drive by. I prefere people with fogs on that them at this stage.

Cant see whats wrong with the aul normal lightseither, they do the job just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Anan1 wrote: »
    Don't ever trust another car's indicator.

Ideally I agree, and would give such advise too (indicators do not give right of way), but in reality, most of us, most of the time, do with caution (assessing speed, road positioning, etc., of approaching indicating vehicle) take indicators to mean an indication and proceed accordingly, otherwise the world wouldn't go round quite as fast as it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

at least youve got lights, half the fcuking idiots on the road have broken light, half working light, no lights, stupid lights, incorrectly pointed lights, id seriously like to punch their lights out completely.
    recks my head.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rameire wrote: »
    at least youve got lights, half the fcuking idiots on the road have broken light, half working light, no lights, stupid lights, incorrectly pointed lights, id seriously like to punch their lights out completely.
    recks my head.
    let me know if you need me to hold someone for you, would gladly do so as long as I get a turn. ;)

I love the fog. It really shows you people lack of understanding about their lights.

People with fog lights that have them on anyway, during the day, hail rain or shine and then the people who do not have them switched on whether or not its foggy or not.

Some people dont even know they have them.

and the vast majority of people don't know the difference between a bit of mist and proper fog. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

another problem is all the idiots who havent a clue how to work their lights properly, will have their fog lights on tomorrow morning, because they never turned them off tonight.

is it any illegal to have light not working properly, or to have fog lights on when not required.,
    if so they should setup check points,
    where every cars lights are checked, prob at night would be easier,
    well if the lights are blown the driver has the choice of an 80 euro fine and they can drive away, or they can pay 40 euro there and then, this will get them a professionally fitted light bulb on their car, 15 euro for charity,, 5 euro for the bulb , 10 euro for the gardai and 10 for the mechanic fitting the bulb.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Xenons are fine, I have the self levelling ones myself.

It's those bloody cheap ass blue headlamps (as fitted to two out of three PL reg cars-complete with crappy air horn and unce unce German techno) that are truly evil.

Not only do they fail to improve the lighting, they dicky up the optics and scream chav(ski).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

On the subject of lights/driving in the dark/indicators..........

I was driving in Roscommon two weeks ago at night, it was below 0 degrees but I didnt notice any ice on the road, it was a two lane road and I was driving begind two different cars for the majority of my journey.

The first one, indicated right everytime a car passed in the opposite direction? wtf? He turned off and the next car i was behind did it randomly maybe every other car that passed!?

Is this some unwritten secret driving lingo in Roscommon or is this a national thing that I am blissfully unaware of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Could it be the oncoming headlamps reflecting off your vehicle making it appear the right indicator of the vehicle in front was lighting up ? Maybe helped by ice on the front of your vehicle. Just a wild guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Berty wrote: »
    I love the fog. It really shows you people lack of understanding about their lights.

People with fog lights that have them on anyway, during the day, hail rain or shine and then the people who do not have them switched on whether or not its foggy or not.

Or the gobsh!tes who won't switch off their rear fogs even when you're directly behind them. Hello, I'm aware you're there, you can turn them off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

On the subject of lights/driving in the dark/indicators..........

I was driving in Roscommon two weeks ago at night, it was below 0 degrees but I didnt notice any ice on the road, it was a two lane road and I was driving begind two different cars for the majority of my journey.

The first one, indicated right everytime a car passed in the opposite direction? wtf? He turned off and the next car i was behind did it randomly maybe every other car that passed!?

Is this some unwritten secret driving lingo in Roscommon or is this a national thing that I am blissfully unaware of?

I've never seen that before but did the car in front have both dipped beams working? If the driver's side beam is not working then it's very difficult for oncoming traffic to make out the width of the car until almost on top of it so maybe the driver was indicating to point out that he wasn't a motorbike!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

robbie99 wrote: »
    I've never seen that before but did the car in front have both dipped beams working? If the driver's side beam is not working then it's very difficult for oncoming traffic to make out the width of the car until almost on top of it so maybe the driver was indicating to point out that he wasn't a motorbike!?

This is probably why they were indicating, it makes sense! cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I don't think so, most drivers would use a quick flash of the high beams for that. Well, most of the few who both a.) have an RHS dip beam out, and b.) know/care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Berty wrote: »

And then there's the people who think their full beams are "fog lights" :eek:
    recks my head.
    In all fairness not everyone driving around with blown bulbs is an idiot - I wouldn't notice one's gone until I start moving, and I don't usually bring my spares and screwdriver around with me. And then there's the newer cars which require removing bumpers and other rediculous things to get to the lights - not something you could do on the side of the road!
    It's those bloody cheap ass blue headlamps (as fitted to two out of three PL reg cars-complete with crappy air horn and unce unce German techno) that are truly evil.
    The main problem with LHD cars is the lights are facing the wrong way when over here, i.e. towards the other side of the road. With RHD cars the beams go slightly to the left. LHD drivers are supposed to put those sticker things on their headlights when driving here, or adjust them appropriately if they're projector lamps.

I think the worst headlight experience I've had was one night when I was reversing into my driveway - someone was approaching me (towards the driver's side of my car) so they slowed down and decided to put their full beams on right in front of me - I couldn't see a thing! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

In all fairness not everyone driving around with blown bulbs is an idiot
    True, but there are so many cars with blown bulbs (often multiple bulbs!) that they can't all have failed recently. I do take the point that modern cars require having the front end being removed just to replace bulbs - which genius came up with this money-making scam?

Last winter I passed the same 4x4 several times over a number of weeks with one headlight bulb, an unlit trailer and only the rear indicator flashing to let anyone know he was there!

Also met several cars on the pitch black back roads of Wicklow/Kildare with no tail lights working! :mad:

As drivers we are supposed to check brakes, lights, tyre pressure, oil level etc. on a regular basis. I wonder how many people do any basic checks whatsoever?

• Advertisement

When I had my own Shell station we had a mirror on the forecourt(on the shop wall) which was around 4 metres along and knee height. All drivers leaving the forecourt could see their lights reflecting on the mirror. It was polished stainless steel.

Something Shell discontinued.

i used to live in tenerife and it was commonplace (and i believe part of the RotR that if you were on a single carriageway and someone was braking hard in front of you then you would indicate as if you were turning to cross the opposite side of the road so the people behind you could see you were slowing down. i suspect it was due to the possibility of bright sunshine sometimes obscuring brake lights, but i can't say for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Could also be that when he was switching back to his headlights, the stalk got pulled up/down slightly and activated the indicator.

Tis lazy driving, it occasionally happens in my foci if I'm not giving my full attention.

Could also be that he knew the driver of the other car and was "Indicator tapping" to say hello rather than flash at them.

I know a lot of the drivers around here do that, as soon as you go past someone you know, rock the stalk up and down, so that the indicators go: Left, right, left, right. And if he had a blown bulb...

I hate HID's, especially Range Rovers. I despise Range Rovers behind me, because they are up much higher, they usually have some prat in it jabbering away on their phone, sitting 2cm of my bumper, or if its a Vogue, some supposed "Yummy Mummy" dropping her sprog of to "soccer" and applying her lippy so she can flirt with the referee. (I am motioning for Range Rover drivers to take over as the biggest gits on the road, worse than bimmer drivers.)

Around here, most cars drive with their fogs on all the time, even some of the Gardi in their own cars. I don't find it annoying though, fogs never bothered me. But wrongly adjusted dips/headlights are common. In fact more have the lights arseways than have them correct.

The "boy racers" around here used to drive around with their parks on and the fog lights, and make fun of anyone with their dips on. Stupid? Eh, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

is it any illegal to have light not working properly, or to have fog lights on when not required.,if so they should setup check points,......where every cars lights are checked, prob at night would be easier
    Yes, it is illegal. Fog lights may only be used when there is heavy fog or falling snow.

I wouldn't hold my breath about Garda enforcement though as, in my area anyway, every second patrol car has them on unnecessarily. ( I realise that they are exempt from most of the road traffic regulations but it would be a good idea to lead by example).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I put a set of 6k HID's in the other day, in the 5 mins it took me to drive home I had 2 people waving their fist (going in the opposite direction) and 2 guys in front using their hand to cover their rear view mirror. I was lighting up the car infronts dashboard they were so bright. I just passed the NCT the week before using the halogens so I assume the lights are level. The next morning I put the halogens back in so I don't annoy anyone else.

Any suggestions how to fix this? Would pointing them down do it or is it the reflector/refractor issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Keep getting Flashed ;)

reciently moved to Waterford and have been doing a lot more night driving than in Dublin. Constantly getting other drivers flashing their headlights at me. My car ( e92) has Xenon lights which are quite bright to the point where I brough it in to the dealer and got the headlights refocused. They said there was no problem and they were within the proper specification. It gets really annoying where you are dazelled by others on the road, I started to flash back but have stopped that as its just as bad if I do it.

I have the same problems, and I do flash back, just to show that my Full headlamps aren't on, unless they keep flashing, in which case I just put the full beams on (juvinile I know) but they cost a small fortune as an option, so i'll use them. Anyway, it's not as if I have the option NOT to use them, they are the only lights on the front of the car.

I have to travel an R road to get to my house which is twisty with no lighting, that's why I opted for the Xenons!

Besides, there's more idiots out there with 1 light working and 1 not, or one pointing up in the air blinding you and the other with no sidelight lamp etc.... How these cars pass NCT I'll never know! At least the Xenons (on my car anyway) auto adjust the level themselves!
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    I put a set of 6k HID's in the other day, in the 5 mins it took me to drive home I had 2 people waving their fist (going in the opposite direction) and 2 guys in front using their hand to cover their rear view mirror. I was lighting up the car infronts dashboard they were so bright. I just passed the NCT the week before using the halogens so I assume the lights are level. The next morning I put the halogens back in so I don't annoy anyone else.

Any suggestions how to fix this? Would pointing them down do it or is it the reflector/refractor issue?

Put the HID's back in and get a garage to level them off for you. Cost about 40 quid. BUT, although you still have probably 2 years on the NCT, I think that cars with HID kits will fail. Apparently vehicles with Xenons, must have a headlamp washer system to clean them. Something to do with the frequency the light is on reflecting back off dirt on the glass? Maybe someone can confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Yep, cars with Xenon's are supposed to have both a headlight washing system and also they should be self levelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

First of all, ALL xenon lights will illuminate a road sign ahead (particularly on a motorway) much more than a normal set of lights. This is nothing to do with them being aimed too high as has been suggested - they come from the factory as is and drivers have no control over them.

An E92 has bi-xenon headlights so you can flash oncoming drivers all you like (at your own risk!) - yes it's the same bulb but they're high beams all the same.

I haven't been flashed more than a handful of times in an E92 so OP maybe there is an issue with yours, bring it to a different dealer than the last maybe.

I think a lot of you are tarring all xenons with the same brush - the boy racer brigade with the Halfords jobs are getting us all abused at the same time.

And finally, any of you moaning about them, drive a car with them and you won't go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Do those anti-dazzle rear view mirrors actually work? Car due a service next week and was thinking of getting one, agreed on jeep and van drivers being the worst for dazzle, ban them xenons and ban exhaust mufflers while they're at it. Another law for the gardai not to enforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

nhughes100 wrote: »
    ban them xenons .

Something which makes driving safer? And something that brings in extra VRT when they're an optional extra on any sub €50,000 ish car? Don't think so.

Advertisement