Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keep getting Flashed

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Well I don't know how blinding the guy in front of you and on the opposite side of the road makes driving safer, all I know is it hurts my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Celtxx wrote: »
    Yep, cars with Xenon's are supposed to have both a headlight washing system and also they should be self levelling.
    I think that strictly speaking that only applies to factory-fitted HID's, but that due to some oversight when the (EU?) regulations were drafted it doesn't apply to after-market ones which is pretty daft.

Anyway the problem is mostly that people fit after-market HID bulbs straight into ordinary reflector headlamps which were designed for conventional halogen bulbs. The pattern of light and the position and size of the focus point of such bulbs is different to what the reflectors in those headlamps were designed for, hence all the problems.

After-market HID's with proper projector lenses and shutters are a different matter, aside from the non-existent requirement for the levelling and washers that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Well I don't know how blinding the guy in front of you and on the opposite side of the road makes driving safer, all I know is it hurts my eyes.

It doesn't make it safer, so why do people flash at me when I have my dipped beams, auto levelling, xenons on???

The main reason I flash back is to prove my Full Beams aren't on, and if they flash again 'cos I flash them back, well I'm sorry, but fcuk them, I tried to show that I'm driving with normal lights on, not my problem that there eyes are stuck in the 1990's before Xenons were the norm on lots of high end cars / options on most production mid range cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Yep, cars with Xenon's are supposed to have both a headlight washing system and also they should be self levelling.

I heard this was legislation in England but could find nothing here to say it was the case. Mine has neither but I know an awful lot of people that have them installed without them. I might just bin them as they seem more hassle than they're worth :P

As mentioned in the thread, the same thing happened when halogen bulbs were introduced, everyone complained. I used to hate them too, but now I know not to stare into them, hasn't been an issue since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I've got a pajero and its got 2 spots. The other night coming home from work an oncoming car put their heads on me - presumenly thinking i had mine on well as he came closer and closer it got more annoying so i put on my headlights back on the car (to show them i hadnt mine on in the first place) well the other car took their headlight off me quicker than.........i dont know what....something quick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

The only xenons that bother me are those on Range Rovers/X5s etc as their output is directly at my eye level.

Maybe look at the road ahead and not the car coming towards you and it'll solve the problem.
    dlambirl wrote: »
    I've got a pajero and its got 2 spots. The other night coming home from work an oncoming car put their heads on me - presumenly thinking i had mine on well as he came closer and closer it got more annoying so i put on my headlights back on the car (to show them i hadnt mine on in the first place) well the other car took their headlight off me quicker than.........i dont know what....something quick!!!

Probably 1) as your fog lights were blinding as they're at eye level on a jeep

2) unless it was foggy you were breaking the law and annoying other drivers.

But hey, that's a whole other stupid thread that'll end up locked too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

After-market HID's with proper projector lenses and shutters are a different matter

Are the projector lenses generic or model specific, I had a quick look on ebay and could find none.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Newer cars also have anti dazzle glass and automatic, progressive dipping mirrors (inside and out), so Xenons driving behind you wouldnt dazzle you if you were keeping up with the jones's.

Driving with Halogens seems archaic, they just suck so much in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Berty wrote: »
    1956 Halogen headlights were fist introduced in cars and people were complaining that they were far too bright.

Xenon HID are now the new "thing". People will get used to Xenon HID as they got used to Halogens.

I used to flash people years ago for having their lights on too bright, two months later I got glasses. It was because my eyesight was bad I thought all lights were too bright.

As long as the HID light is white I dont have an issue. If a car has blueish or purple HID I have a problem because my eyes are drawn to this light which removes my concentration from my own driving.

If you're finding a lot of other people's lights too bright, clean your windscreen, and replace it if is over 3-4 years old (same applies to the lenses in your glasses, if you wear them).

My wife's car is due a new windscreen, whereas mine got one a few months ago, and the difference at night is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

MarkN wrote: »
    The only xenons that bother me are those on Range Rovers/X5s etc as their output is directly at my eye level.

Maybe look at the road ahead and not the car coming towards you and it'll solve the problem.

Probably 1) as your fog lights were blinding as they're at eye level on a jeep

2) unless it was foggy you were breaking the law and annoying other drivers.

But hey, that's a whole other stupid thread that'll end up locked too :)

Dont have fog light - it was just my dips - and i've had them checked they arent too bright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Are the projector lenses generic or model specific, I had a quick look on ebay and could find none.

My car has projector lenses but with halogen cheap as chips bulbs. They are bright enough for me.
    The car did have an option of xenon HID projectors though, self levelling too and with headlight wash. Mighty expensive and not sure if they are really worth it or just the new FAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Hey OP, thanks.... :D

LarWright wrote: »
    It doesn't make it safer, so why do people flash at me when I have my dipped beams, auto levelling, xenons on???

The main reason I flash back is to prove my Full Beams aren't on, and if they flash again 'cos I flash them back, well I'm sorry, but fcuk them, I tried to show that I'm driving with normal lights on, not my problem that there eyes are stuck in the 1990's before Xenons were the norm on lots of high end cars / options on most production mid range cars!

Well my cars an 08 so I couldn't be accused of being stuck in the 90's. There's no Xenon's in it either and I can see perfectly so long as some idiot isn't up my bumper trying to feed his ego. So it's everyone elses problem that your lights obviously aren't working correctly. MMM great attitude, sounds like the "I'm entitled to it" brigade, If they're blinding people on normal setting there's something wrong - end of.

Well my cars an 08 so I couldn't be accused of being stuck in the 90's. There's no Xenon's in it either and I can see perfectly so long as some idiot isn't up my bumper trying to feed his ego. So it's everyone elses problem that your lights obviously aren't working correctly. MMM great attitude, sounds like the "I'm entitled to it" brigade, If they're blinding people on normal setting there's something wrong - end of.

Congratulations on owning a '08 car, I'm delighted for you!! :P

The year of the car has nothing to do with being stuck in the 90's. It's the attitude towards advances in technology.

"Oh, these new fancy lights are brighter than a halogen bulb, ban them all!"

My point is, I drive against oncoming traffic, and always see cars coming towards me with Xenons. Not 'cos they point up in the air, but because the simple fact is, THEY ARE BRIGHTER AND MORE WHITE!!! Therefore they stand out. There is no need to flash me, my lights are what they are, and in perfect working order on a car that's 9 months old.

As Xenon's tend to be in newer cars, and are less common than halogen, I bet there's less of these blinding people than Jon Joe in his '98 Avensis with the lights up in the air, or Tomo in his 96 Glanza with aftermarket HiD's without projector lamps.

In relation to you being able to "see perfectly so long as some idiot isn't up your bumper", I hope this isn't directed at me? I don't tailgate, and am talking about oncoming traffic flashing me. Getting stuck behind some fool doing 60kph in the overtaking lane (not fastlane) of a Dual Carriageway or Motorway is another days work.

Besides, everyone can see perfectly in front of themselves regardless of who's behind them. That's why rearview mirrors have anti dazzle, be it auto, or the flick of the lever on it. So really dunno what you mean by that comment.

Re my great attitude also. Thanks :)

If my lights, again, AUTO LEVELLING LIGHTS, are blinding people, its they're eyes! - END OF!
    mcwhirter wrote: »
    Mighty expensive and not sure if they are really worth it or just the new FAD.

They are expensive enough yeah, standard on expensive cars now tho! But defo NOT a FAD in my opinion. I won't have a car without them again. Had a 2005 with them and loved them, changed to a 06 without and really missed them, so the current car has them. €1600 well spent I think!! They are safer as I can see the road better than with halogens.

dlambirl wrote: »
    Dont have fog light - it was just my dips - and i've had them checked they arent too bright

They were "spots" yesterday. Spots are normally a poser way of saying foglights.

So based on what you said yesterday my assumption wasn't a particularly bad one.

So you had your sidelights on is that what you mean? Or your headlights? Or your "spots"?

LarWright wrote: »
    Congratulations on owning a '08 car, I'm delighted for you!! :P

The year of the car has nothing to do with being stuck in the 90's. It's the attitude towards advances in technology.

"Oh, these new fancy lights are brighter than a halogen bulb, ban them all!"

My point is, I drive against oncoming traffic, and always see cars coming towards me with Xenons. Not 'cos they point up in the air, but because the simple fact is, THEY ARE BRIGHTER AND MORE WHITE!!! Therefore they stand out. There is no need to flash me, my lights are what they are, and in perfect working order on a car that's 9 months old.

As Xenon's tend to be in newer cars, and are less common than halogen, I bet there's less of these blinding people than Jon Joe in his '98 Avensis with the lights up in the air, or Tomo in his 96 Glanza with aftermarket HiD's without projector lamps.

In relation to you being able to "see perfectly so long as some idiot isn't up your bumper", I hope this isn't directed at me? I don't tailgate, and am talking about oncoming traffic flashing me. Getting stuck behind some fool doing 60kph in the overtaking lane (not fastlane) of a Dual Carriageway or Motorway is another days work.

Besides, everyone can see perfectly in front of themselves regardless of who's behind them. That's why rearview mirrors have anti dazzle, be it auto, or the flick of the lever on it. So really dunno what you mean by that comment.

Re my great attitude also. Thanks :)

If my lights, again, AUTO LEVELLING LIGHTS, are blinding people, its they're eyes! - END OF!

/quote]
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions that it's everyone else's fault and you're completely in the clear.

I suppose we should head off and get some go faster stripes and chrome exhause mufflers to keep up with modern technology. Give me a break, yeah everyone else can see you but they can see fk all else. You only go on about blinding oncoming traffic yet the guy who's mirrors(note the plural as you're blinding his wing mirrors as well which have no reflective technology or lever flick or maybe my 08 is stuck in the past with jon jo.

I didn't mention you when I made the comment about idiots tailgating so you can cool the paranoia but once again it's everyone else's fault for going too slow, I've been tailgated doing over 120kph by idiots when in the overtaking lane a hell of a lot more then 60kph sunday drivers and I do serious mileage each week.

You'll see perfectly well with regular headlights and people will see you without annoying anyone regardless of their eyesight but yeah you're right fk them, get your eyes lasered or something - typical Irish me fein attitude, the main reason why over 300 people will be killed on the roads this year(disclaimer I'm not saying you'll kill anyone, just people with your attitude - over to rant about how I've been driving for 40 years and never even come close to hitting anyone, my car is so good it can avoid any potential accident, blah blah blah.)

I've been tailgated doing over 120kph by idiots when in the overtaking lane

You know you still have to move into the left even when doing the speed limit?

If another driver wants to break the law the guards deal with that, not you.
    the main reason why over 300 people will be killed on the roads this year

Is not because of xenon lights.

I suppose we should head off and get some go faster stripes and chrome exhause mufflers to keep up with modern technology.

I'd hardly call "go faster stripes and chrome mufflers" modern technology! Apart from the fact that stripes are cosmetic, and not technologically proven to improve the performance of a car, 1960's Mini Coopers had them, and they're hardly the cutting edge of modern!
    You only go on about blinding oncoming traffic yet the guy who's mirrors(note the plural as you're blinding his wing mirrors as well which have no reflective technology or lever flick or maybe my 08 is stuck in the past with jon jo.

Yes I "go on about blinding oncoming traffic" as I'm not talking about coming up behind people, (if that's your bag ;)), I'm talking cars coming in the opposite direction, obviously if a car is on front of me, he can't flash at me for having Xenons.

By the way, it's John Joe, not jon jo. He'd be very upset with the lack of Caps and spelling! :D
    It's everyone else's fault for going too slow, I've been tailgated doing over 120kph by idiots when in the overtaking lane a hell of a lot more then 60kph sunday drivers and I do serious mileage each week.

OFF TOPIC BUT.... You shouldn't be in the overtaking lane doing 120kph if you're not overtaking. If you were overtaking and had nowhere to pull in, fair enough, but if some idiot wants to overtake me at 160 odd, I'll let him do it and get out of his way. He'll eventually hit the 12 point marker and be off the road! By the way, I'm not justifying tailgaters, but that's just common driving sense to drive in the left lane and let people overtake, and in the rules of the road it states "You must normally drive in the left-hand lane of a dual carriageway. You may use the outer lane of a two-lane or three-lane dual carriageway only: for overtaking, and when intending to turn right a short distance ahead. I do however hate the age old "I'm in the fast lane doing the limit so I'll sit here" attitude.
    You'll see perfectly well with regular headlights and people will see you without annoying anyone regardless of their eyesight but yeah you're right fk them, get your eyes lasered or something - typical Irish me fein attitude, the main reason why over 300 people will be killed on the roads this year(disclaimer I'm not saying you'll kill anyone, just people with your attitude - over to rant about how I've been driving for 40 years and never even come close to hitting anyone, my car is so good it can avoid any potential accident, blah blah blah.)

I have had cars with and without Xenons, and there is no comparrisson. It's like Candle versus 100watt lightbulb, and they're road legal, so why should I use regular headlights. I see further ahead, and the particular ones I have are adaptive, so they steer into the corners too, again, making it safer for me.

Also, I think you'll find, the main reason over 300 people will be killed on the roads this year isn't because of people with my attitude to headlamp technology...... it's speed! Or at least that's what the RSA always say!

Advertisement