Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mervue Utd in the First Division

Options
  • 10-12-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭

I read a while back that Mervue were considering their options and wether or not they would accept their place in the first division. Has anyone seen or heard anymore about this? I haven't!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

They have applied for the position in the First Division and they are expecting the FAI down to inspect their facilities ASAP. If their facilities are not up to scratch they can use Terryland pending an agreement around fixtures. Galway United do not own Terryland. It beongs to the Galway FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

stupid idea as if there going to get a crowd into terryland to watch Mervue in division one, they couldn't fill it even if they held the FAI cup final there and the junior side was in it...and ur correct the ground is belonged to Galway FA imagine the galway ladies team has first preference over galway united

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It was ok for the playoff but not for the league?..strange one. Glad to hear they accepted. I figured they were just trying to make a point by calling the division a graveyard/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

axiom32 wrote: »
    stupid idea as if there going to get a crowd into terryland to watch Mervue in division one, they couldn't fill it even if they held the FAI cup final there and the junior side was in it...

I dont think it's about filling the stadium, it's about mervue having the required facilities to play in this division, whatever the crowds are like....i'd be surrprised if they even charged into the games

They ought to charge a token fee like 5 euro. Not go to the extremes of Galway United. But maybe something small would build up and could be used for something useful

• Advertisement

so the galway FA going to pay the bill for the lights if not declan mc d will have to give up his council duties and go full time selling lotto tickets ......seriously even a token fee would be to much to watch this league is there any quality in it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I can safely say a lot here havent the faintest idea how much it costs to keep a team going in the First Division.

how much so?

How much do the lights cost them in Mervue?

i forgot about them ..but im sure its factored into the price of using the pitches

• Advertisement

To give an example, my club Longford Town we have had to reduce our playing budget a lot for next season we are looking to operate with a budget for players and management and some other staff off 150,000 euro this figure does not include other overheads such as lights, bus journeys etc to my knowledge. The budget was significantly higher last year.

Mervue even they have the lads on minuscule amounts of money will need at least ,100,000 I reckon to cover all the costs of meeting the licensing criteria.

And as for the quality in the First? It is poor to be honest would test a lot of patience :} The teams higher up the table such as Shels etc I imagine their budget is at least 300k
    Most teams charge between ten and fifteen euros into games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

I'm sure likes aren't that expensive, allot of teams have flood lights, gaa clubs, hockey clubs, and i know my hockey clubs lights cost us about 400 euro a year and they're on two nights a week, i doubt mervue will be training up there, its not going to cost a whole lot more for them to play matches....assuming that they're only playing matches for their first team and their underages are in mervue

I hope it goes well for Mervue though, be nice to have another away trip close by but I cannot see how Galway can sustain two teams in the LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Mervue are one of the richest in the Country but they will get little return by entering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

As much and all as I would love to see Mervue joining the division 1 I just don't think it makes sense. As one mentioned in an earlier post I can't see Galway being able to sustain two teams. I think two many clubs at that level dilute the income potential for clubs. As I said I would love to see it but I don't think it's practical

no chance that two teams can survive in this town...how hard has it been for utd to build up the crowds....i only started going again late last year and was impressed by the ground and the atmosphere and for sure the results and performances arent all that great but ****it with my few quid they can invest in gettin in some more quality players

now in saying that some of the football they played in later stage of season was a good omen jus hope they have a good man on the sidelines to replace derby bound Jay o Shea and of course Kenna snubs Niall Quinns advances :D ...hes lookin for a good man in a relegation battle!!!

and what about the salthill devon aspirations for league of ireland football im sure there dads didn't spend all thast cash on the drom complex for no return ....and dont anybody say "just to see the kids faces light up, when out kickin the ball around"

Advertisement