Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book now or in January? And harder to get visa's now...

Options
  • 10-12-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

I an going to oz in February for a year and do you think there would be much difference in the flight prices if i booked now or wait till next month? I read in the metro this morning on the comment page that australia is getting tighter on visa's, i'd guess that this is the skilled visa and not the WHV? I'm planning on going on the whv and havent applied for it yet so i'm getting a bit worried but i'm thinking they must be on about the skilled visa, does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Davexirl wrote: »
    I an going to oz in February for a year and do you think there would be much difference in the flight prices if i booked now or wait till next month? I read in the metro this morning on the comment page that australia is getting tighter on visa's, i'd guess that this is the skilled visa and not the WHV? I'm planning on going on the whv and havent applied for it yet so i'm getting a bit worried but i'm thinking they must be on about the skilled visa, does anyone know?

WHV has not been made harder, the skilled visa has been made harder (slightly) by increasing the minimum wage for certain jobs.

I'm guessing flights would be cheaper the future you are from the date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Haven't herd anything about them being stricter on the WHV.

I would apply for the WHV ASAP. Do it yourself online at the australian gov site. Link.

Only takes 48 hours to come through, but just case their are any problems I would apply now once you are certain you are going.

Have no idea about flight prices. I wouldn't imagine their would be a huge difference if you wait a month. Just make sure to shop around first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Haven't herd anything about them being stricter on the WHV.

I would apply for the WHV ASAP. Do it yourself online at the australian gov site. Link.

Only takes 48 hours to come through, but just case their are any problems I would apply now once you are certain you are going.

Have no idea about flight prices. I wouldn't imagine their would be a huge difference if you wait a month. Just make sure to shop around first.

Would it be good to head into the USIT to get flights, or would it be better to do it online. Do you have to book a return flight on the WHV, or can you book your flight on the way out, and book the return one from Oz?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Would it be good to head into the USIT to get flights, or would it be better to do it online. Do you have to book a return flight on the WHV, or can you book your flight on the way out, and book the return one from Oz?

As I said shop around. I don't know where is best for flights, but I would say check online and in travel shops (not just usit).

I think the conditions on the WHV go something like this. You may be asked to show you have a return ticket, or show you have the necessary funds to purchase a return ticket.

seachto7 wrote: »

No you don't need a return flight, as such, you either need a return flight or sufficient funds ... but these are never checked really, don't worry about it

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    No you don't need a return flight, as such, you either need a return flight or sufficient funds ... but these are never checked really, don't worry about it

Just too add a note this. Hussey is right in saying that sufficient are rarely checked. However not having a return flight can arise suspicion and can lead to them checking funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

well, if things worked out, my intention would be to stay, so I suppose I should have proof of funds just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

i booked two 1-way flights for myself and my partner about an hour ago on ebookers.com , i went for the .com site to take advantage of the sterling , it worked out at £1265 sterling for the two flights which roughly works out at €1440 euros for both flights , got 2 aer lingus flights from dub to london for €89 price includes 2 bags= €24.

so al in all around 770 euros for a 1 way flight to sydney ,

oh btw we are flying the 7th jan via beijing , 1 stop between london and sydney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Just too add a note this. Hussey is right in saying that sufficient are rarely checked. However not having a return flight can arise suspicion and can lead to them checking funds.

Thanks AlanMurphy. I think we need to be more careful about telling people it doesn't matter and will not be checked. It could be, so go prepared and follow the visa rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

hussey wrote: »

But won't the airline want to see a return ticket? Usually they do, in case you are refused entry at immigration upon arrival.

• Advertisement

38141 wrote: »
    But won't the airline want to see a return ticket? Usually they do, in case you are refused entry at immigration upon arrival.
    airline? no it has nothing to do with the airline.

Alan Murphy is correct, I said never, I should have not said that, they are rarely check but that does not mean never!
    here is the statement from the oz gov to clear it up
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-first.htm#d
    Financial requirements

You must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday. Generally, AUD$5,000 may be regarded as sufficient, but the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and the extent of your travel. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia.

You may be asked to provide evidence. Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

Of course, 95% of people will not be asked, but it is common sense to arrive in Aus with at least one of the requirements from above.

Advertisement