Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Aob Match Thread

• 10-12-2008 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

b_12.png V b_26415.png

Foster, Kuszczak, Neville, Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Evra, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Park, Fletcher, Scholes, Anderson, Giggs, Nani, Possebon, Gibson, Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Manucho.

Ronaldo and Carrick out. Scholes likely to start on the bench. Gary Neville and Ben Foster expected to start.

Man Utd need to match or better Villarreal's result against Celtic to top the group.

Foster
    Neville--Rio--Evans-Evra
    -Nani-Fletcher-Anderson-Park
    Giggs

Tevez

Is my guess for the team, and hey I was only one away at the weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It will def be Tommy K in goals, if not VDS - Foster played in the last carling cup game.

Also, I reckon Scholes will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

It will def be Tommy K in goals, if not VDS - Foster played in the last carling cup game.

Also, I reckon Scholes will start.

Foster was wheeled out for the pre-match press conference so thats what I was basing that on.

Last weekend Fergie said that Scholes wouldn't be involved against Sunderland and that he will looking at Japan to give him more football. So I think the bench could still be the best place for him to make a 30 min appearance. I think with his age and the injury he really needs to be easied back in.

Foster was wheeled out for the pre-match press conference so thats what I was basing that on.

Last weekend Fergie said that Scholes wouldn't be involved against Sunderland and that he will looking at Japan to give him more football. So I think the bench could still be the best place for him to make a 30 min appearance. I think with his age and the injury he really needs to be easied back in.

Suppose you a right about scholes.

Will be interesting to see who starts tonight anyway.

Would love to see Welbeck and Tevez start up top. Won't happen, but would love to see it.

Suppose you a right about scholes.

Will be interesting to see who starts tonight anyway.

Would love to see Welbeck and Tevez start up top. Won't happen, but would love to see it.

Don't think he is in the match day squad so I would doubt it alright. Is Rooney suspended this weekend due to the yellow cards? If so he might get a start tonight considering he won't be playing at the weekend.

EDIT: Yes he is suspended. Maybe a Carlos and Rooney attack. Or Carlos might not start with an eye on the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Foster
    Neville--Rio--Evans-Fabio
    -Nani-Possebon-Anderson-Park
    Tevez

Welbeck

now thats a line up i would love to see

but wont happen

Fabio is back in training but its probly too soon for him

• Advertisement

Foster
    Neville--Rio--Evans-Fabio
    -Nani-Possebon-Anderson-Park
    Tevez

Welbeck

now thats a line up i would love to see

but wont happen

Fabio is back in training but its probly too soon for him

Currently Evra is banned for the next 5 domestic games no point in him not playing this game IMO.

Fabio might get some games while Evra is out ahead of JOS. I'm looking at the CC semi final mainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I reckon it will be a strong lineup as we need to win to be assured of top spot to avoid a potential Barcelona tie. Coming first could also see us meet Inter or possibly Real Madrid but they dont really bother me to be honest and I reckon fergie shares the same view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

With Rooney's missing the Spurs game at the weekend ,
    Like to see Tevez and Berbs start and get some playing time together,
    also could be interesting to see if we play Evra or mix it up.(fixed sorry not 4 match ban )

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    With Rooney's missing the Spurs game at the weekend ,
    Like to see Tevez and Berbs start and get some playing time together,
    also could be interesting to see if we play Evra or mix it up (before his 4 game ban )

whats the story with the ban

are utd going to appeal it

i know fergie has said he hasnt got a letter from the FA explaining why the ban has happened yet

whats the story with the ban

are utd going to appeal it

i know fergie has said he hasnt got a letter from the FA explaining why the ban has happened yet

Well he is definitely out for this weekend due to collecting 5 yellow cards.

As for the four game ban I think United are going to accept it as I believe at the moment it takes in the one Carling Cup game, and the 3rd of the FA Cup, means he misses two league games against Stoke where JOS height could be needed anyway, and Boro at home. If we delay it by appealing it could mean he will miss four premier league games (including the Chelsea game), or a possible CC final.

• Advertisement

A red card for two yellow's cannot be appealed correct ?

redout wrote: »

technically correct, though i am nearly positive a player successfully appealed a double yellow last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ferguson said yesterday they havn't received the report as to why he was banned, so they can't appeal until they see the details of what he was found guilty of.

Why?

Why?

Ronaldo got two yellow's against city and no appeal but I heard here in Spain that Madrid were trying to do some sort of appeal to get Robben (sent off sunday) eligible for El Clasico on saturday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Ronaldo got two yellow's against city and no appeal but I heard here in Spain that Madrid were trying to do some sort of appeal to get Robben (sent off sunday) eligible for El Clasico on saturday.

Ronaldo only missed the cc game which he wasn't going to play in!

AFAIK, you can't appeal two yellows! Maybe the rules are different in Spain!

Why?

Because you can not appeal against a yellow card. An appeal against a double yellow red card would actually be an appeal against one of the two offences that got yellows; which the rules state you can not do.

Sorry I didn't mean why can't you appeal. I meant why did the poster care as I presumed they were talking about Ronaldo who has already served his suspension in the CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

So if United and Villareal end up level will it be decided on GD considering head-to-head is useless as the games were both 0-0?

So if United and Villareal end up level will it be decided on GD considering head-to-head is useless as the games were both 0-0?

Yes. If Utd equal Villareals result against Celtic. Utd will qualify top.
    If Villareal beat Uniteds result by three or more goals they finish top. I don't know what happens if we end up on level goal difference.

Hopefully Celtic put in 100% in there game as they have nothing to play or so could relax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't know what happens if we end up on level goal difference.

There'll be a toss off.

Des wrote: »
    There'll be a toss off.

But our biggest wanker is injured. :(

But our biggest wanker is injured. :(

we still have O'shea

he can play any position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Does it not go with results vs. the third placed team, and then 4th placed team (effectively goal difference). Reduces the impact of 5-0 scorelines vs. poorer teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Would like to see berbatov and tevez start.

Hope berba can add to his offside tally.

Based on paragraph 4.05 in the UEFA regulations for the current season, if two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:

higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question; Draw

superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question; Draw

higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question; Draw.

superior goal difference from all group matches played; United lead by two

higher number of goals scored in all group matches played; Villareal lead by two

higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

technically correct, though i am nearly positive a player successfully appealed a double yellow last season.
    I can't remember one last season, but I remember a couple of seasons ago Ronaldo successfully appealed after his sending off against Villa. One yellow was for a dive and it was retrospectively overturned after replays showed he was clipped. I think the rules were only changed this season so now they can't be appealed (which outraged Steve Bruce recently).

don't remember that with Ronaldo - i can remember Fergie commenting that yellows could not be appealed (might not have been in relation to that game though) I'm almost certain i remember him (and another player) serving suspensions at the same time and his was for the Villa game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Kuszczak
    Neville
    Ferdinand
    Rooney
    Giggs
    Nani
    O Shea
    Evans
    Gibson
    Tevez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Subs

Foster
    Park
    Vidic
    Scholes
    Rafael
    Fletcher
    Possebon

Kuszczak starting ffs

UTD TEAM

KUSZCZAK

NEVILLE
    RIO
    EVANS
    O SHEA

NANI
    GIBSON
    ANDERSON
    GIGGS

TEVEZ
    ROONEY

PIG
    Neville--Ferdinand-Evans-O'Shea
    --Nani---Gibson---Anderson--Giggs
    Rooney---Tevez

Although with Fergies reluctance to play Giggs on the wing I have a fear we are going to see either Rooney, or Tevez pushed out there.

PIG
    Neville--Ferdinand-Evans-O'Shea
    Gibson---Anderson
    ----Nani
    Giggs
    Rooney----
    Tevez

Unless Anderson goes wide.

Kuszczak starting ffs

Foster hasn't showed anything in the games he has played (apart from Derby last season) to be automatic first choice. Don't remember Kuz ever letting us down.

No striker on the bench is stupid for me.

Foster hasn't showed anything in the games he has played (apart from Derby last season) to be automatic first choice. Don't remember Kuz ever letting us down.

No striker on the bench is stupid for me.
    im not a Kuszczak fan at all

foster didnt have a great carling cup match agaist blackburn
    but i think foster just needs more games to build up the confidence

he's a better prospect than Kuszczak anyday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

from an Irish perspective, its good to see young Gibson starting, a nice run of appearances this season could be the start of a great career....

im not a Kuszczak fan at all

foster didnt have a great carling cup match agaist blackburn
    but i think foster just needs more games to build up the confidence

he's a better prospect than Kuszczak anyday

I think Foster is a better prospect too. However he has to show it in the games he plays, training, and reserves or whatever. He obviously hadn't yet. And Kuz deserves his chances to stake a claim for second spot. I believe in the second half the season (after CC semis) Fergie will make a call on who will be his number two.

Foster played last week, Kuz plays tonight even though I thought Foster would play after being brought out for the press conference.

Both will probably get one leg of the CC semi and then a decision will be made. My guess anyway.

from an Irish perspective, its good to see young Gibson starting, a nice run of appearances this season could be the start of a great career....

He is only getting soprandic appearance and once the CC is over I can't see him getting another start this season. After tonight that gives him another 3 starts at most. What is good though from an Irish view is that he is getting in ahead of Possebon. Could be a shop window job though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

i agree i cant see him making much more starts but he has featured on the bench a few times in the league already this season, if he can prove his worth tonight and in future CC matches, he could be a more regularly used sub this season.... but yes in the future itl be hard to break into that centre midfield in on a regular basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    UTD TEAM

KUSZCZAK

NEVILLE
    RIO
    EVANS
    O SHEA

NANI
    GIBSON
    ANDERSON
    GIGGS

TEVEZ
    ROONEY

I don't get that. Evra is suspended for four games, why not play him, no point resting him is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

deisedevil wrote: »
    I don't get that. Evra is suspended for four games, why not play him, no point resting him is there?

Good chance to give OShea 90 minutes in position he's likely to playing for the next few matches. No harm.

Five games.

Have no idea why he isn't playing the only reasons I can think of is A)injury (he isn't even in the squad) B) get game time into O'Shea before he has to play against spurs.

Seems stupid not to play him though if he isn't injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Gibson is also in the Man Utd squad for the World Club championships and that's a very established squad. I wouldn't say its a shop window job for him tonight. He really needs to be standing out against this team though. Definitely the worst team Celtic have ever played in the CL.

Dunphy said fergie decided to let Berbatov rest at home tonight as opposed to on the pitch. Good man Eamo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Evra is injured, he missed training yesterday afaik.

I expect us to win comfortably, dissapointing not to see a striker on the bench either Wellbeck or Manucho, some game time for either would have done them no harm.

Dunphy said fergie decided to let Berbatov rest at home tonight as opposed to on the pitch. Good man Eamo.

ya saw that

i had a :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm starting to think Manucho is the new Dong....

CRACKING GOAL

bang

good man tevez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tevez scored?

lovely

• Advertisement
Advertisement