Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sup hunters

• 10-12-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Hunters getting nerfed - Noone suprised

It was coming in fairness, Death Knights next.

edit: In the interests of balance, locks could maybe do with a buff as could ele shamans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

Yeah, its great news they were the only ones to be able to out dps my mighty shadow priest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

not that much of a nerf, and with the killshot CD being dropped to 15 seconds that means we can put out stupid damage at the end of boss fights and finish off more enemys in pvp, but i have to agree withe the AoE changed, ive done whole instances using nothign but this and still comming out ontop of the damage meters. But srsly, nerf them feckign DK's already lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Dk's really arent so bad. Their DPS is pretty good in PvE, but somewhat awful in PvP. I can see a respective nerf and buff respectively, on the horizons.

Their survivailbity in PvP is already pretty crazy, and a nerf or balance for that is already on the cards.

They do have alot of issues still for PvP imho and I dont play one. Their dps rotations are severely sensitive to dispells and kiting, almost like a paladin as it were, but they lack alot of the tools that a Paladin brings to PvP encounters.

Will be interesting to see how they work out in arenas though, but I suspect they will have an average showing at most. A novelty at first, almost certainly and some really skilled people will evolve from them, but on the whole, I think alot of the cookie cutters of old will remain true with some new cookie cutters appearing too. Hai Feral Druid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Can't access that site at work.

As a nooby hunter (well... I'm now at lvl 28 and clocking upwards) what does this mean to me? Am I going to struggle alot more trying to solo stuff? I've just joined a corp :P but still like doing alot on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Can't access that site at work.

As a nooby hunter (well... I'm now at lvl 28 and clocking upwards) what does this mean to me? Am I going to struggle alot more trying to solo stuff? I've just joined a corp :P but still like doing alot on my own.

Your not going to struggle but you may well notice your dishing less damage out than what you were, with fights taking a little longer to finish..if your MM spec the change youll see will be smaller than if you were BM spec to i think..

i do think volley needed a nerf as it was always the shot i used when i had 2+ mobs on my pet and it finished all them off in 2 shots..but some of the other ones seem a little too much..i guess ill have to see what there like after the nerf..

when does this take affect btw?

• Advertisement

People still play BM hunters ? srsly?

agreed with ivav too. at 80 dk's do start to level out in mid 70's they are far to OP

Manties wrote: »

agreed with ivav too. at 80 dk's do start to level out in mid 70's they are far to OP

I am.... I thought BM was supposedly the way to go?

For leveling yeah as most of the work is done by your pet. I went full MM with i think 5 points in BM for the HP and 3 in SURV for the added range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

BM is THE raiding spec.

I dont agree at all. DKs are without a doubt the top melee deeps atm in most fights. The insane damage that DnD coupled with that disease spreading skill does on any fights with adds really stacks up.
    when does this take affect btw?
    Not till the Ulduar patch which hasnt even been announced yet. Best guesstimate is late january, early febuary. Untill then your in the good ship Sword of Damocles with Holy Priests and Resto Druids (who are facing some pretty massive nerfs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Ivan I don't know where you're getting "pvp dps is awful" Im critting for about 5k odd for rune/scourge coupled with bloood, frost and plague for dots, chains for kiting, pet dishes out insane dps.

As for pve well it's just lolable the dps im putting out is INSANE.
    We will be nerfed, sadly :(

• Advertisement

Dustaz wrote: »
    BM is THE raiding spec.

If you say so :P I'm still obliterating BM hunters left right and centre

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=cxbZ0eVcRAzreoguAoc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

mainswap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

at least this was decent
    Kill Shot – cooldown reduced to 15 sec (from 35 sec)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dont really care about pvp nerf to my Dk, wow pvp is pants,i play wow for pve.
    I hope there will be no pve nerf but either way its a very fun class to play regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bm is definitely the raiding spec right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Too right, hunters are all saps.

Dcully wrote: »
    Dont really care about pvp nerf to my Dk, wow pvp is pants,i play wow for pve.
    I hope there will be no pve nerf but either way its a very fun class to play regardless.

PvP in WoW really is fail. I have to say I'm now Lvl 29 hunter and am completely loving PvE but the few times I've fought people have just been lol fests.

There is no risk and so no one cares. WoW is carebear heaven. (I'm only slagging the PvP aspect. Comparing WoW to the number of adrenaline ****fests I've had in Eve. The PvE aspect of WoW is just fantastic mind).

I wish I could summarise an aspect of the game mostly meant for end game whilst being 1/3rd the way through.

If you say so :P I'm still obliterating BM hunters left right and centre

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=cxbZ0eVcRAzreoguAoc

level 78 hunters wearing green int items dont count

sunzz wrote: »
    I wish I could summarise an aspect of the game mostly meant for end game whilst being 1/3rd the way through.

lol zing:)

• Advertisement

Dustaz wrote: »
    level 78 hunters wearing green int items dont count

Heh, who's in greens these days? Blues drop of everything, and if they dont you cna buy them for cheap same with the epixxx. Titanshieldwall 800g tyvm AH.

Was that pointed at me? I'm not supposed to pvp till I reach lvl80 is it? Ah right. Stupid of me to not have realised that.

EDIT: It'll still suck :)

I hear Darkfall is coming out in Jan. Been reading up on it. Sounds cool. WoW but with real PvP or something like that.

DPS implies damage per second. 5k crits != dps. The problem with DK pvp dps is that if you fail to take advantage of your diseases being up; by being kited, or they drop off; because they were dispelled, then you can either waste more runes on reapplying them and wait for next rotation for big damage or you can do significantly lower damage.

Then you need to choose between a snare that is vital to you limiting your kiteability or Icy Touch, which unless talented, is totally ineffective if you cant hit the target.

Deathgrip is great, but it's untalented cooldown means you will like be kited to death before it comes back up again.

All of these things mean DKs need a good class partnership, from a very limited choice, to really shine.

Naturally, all of this is from an Arenas perspective, since BGs are lame.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, these are just the observations I've made from doing Arenas with a friend and from talking with another DK friend. I havent played the class past 63 and that was in beta...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Ivan wrote: »
    DPS implies damage per second. 5k crits != dps. The problem with DK pvp dps is that if you fail to take advantage of your diseases being up; by being kited, or they drop off; because they were dispelled, then you can either waste more runes on reapplying them and wait for next rotation for big damage or you can do significantly lower damage.

Then you need to choose between a snare that is vital to you limiting your kiteability or Icy Touch, which unless talented, is totally ineffective if you cant hit the target.

Deathgrip is great, but it's untalented cooldown means you will like be kited to death before it comes back up again.

All of these things mean DKs need a good class partnership, from a very limited choice, to really shine.

Naturally, all of this is from an Arenas perspective, since BGs are lame.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, these are just the observations I've made from doing Arenas with a friend and from talking with another DK friend. I havent played the class past 63 and that was in beta...

I find i can only be kited to death by skilled frost mages, yes we have a long CD on death grip but we also have chains of ice which we can spam as long as we have a frost or death rune active. Chains of ice reduces movement speed by 100% and then every second after casting it movement speed is returned in increments of 10%.

Plus depending on the specc we can continue consistently dpsing at range, ice touch, chains of ice (glyphed can grant it damage also) howling blast, blood boil, pestilence and of course death coil if we have the runic power :D

And Canis mate i think what people mean when refering to your level, is that your level range isnt as populated as the max level. So you will always be bored pvp wise while leveling thus warranting your opinion on wow pvp void, the pvp will pick up alot once you wade into the level 70-80 zones. And if yer talking BG's its the same, unless you fancy joining BG's at low levels and getting owned my the talentless twinks.

nix wrote: »

And Canis mate i think what people mean when refering to your level, is that your level range isnt as populated as the max level. So you will always be bored pvp wise while leveling thus warranting your opinion on wow pvp void, the pvp will pick up alot once you wade into the level 70-80 zones. And if yer talking BG's its the same, unless you fancy joining BG's at low levels and getting owned my the talentless twinks.

I've had a couple of fights. Some lost, most won. For the most part no one seems to look around them and I've snuck up on most people despite a big red nametag over my head.

I then sic the pet on them and rotate my shots. I die, I resurrect. There's no sense of achievement, no sense of loss.

I've seen raids on SW involving large battles. Jeez what a mess. How do you call and select a primary in a group battle? Trying to locate and click on someone is impossible.

I suppose I'll just wait and see if things pick up once I get to higher levels but without risk I don't see the point of it? Oh and I did an arena battle last night and took out two dudes my level without blinking. I assume once I get higher mana and health management become more critical over time.

On other news dinged 30 and got me a sexy rideable kitty kat last night. Very pleased my self :D

Low level world pvp is crap, so is endgame world pvp. The only real sence of achievement you will ever have in wow pvp is by beating a better team in arena matches. Bg's can be fun, but i find them mostly populated by complete retards. With just 2 or 3 organised players wsg,eots,ab can be easilly won. AV is a joke now as its always 40 horde v 6 ally.

I find i can only be kited to death by skilled frost mages, yes we have a long CD on death grip but we also have chains of ice which we can spam as long as we have a frost or death rune active. Chains of ice reduces movement speed by 100% and then every second after casting it movement speed is returned in increments of 10%.

Plus depending on the specc we can continue consistently dpsing at range, ice touch, chains of ice (glyphed can grant it damage also) howling blast, blood boil, pestilence and of course death coil if we have the runic power :D

Icy Touch loses to Death coil in terms of damage, unless Icy Touch is heavily talented. Icy Touch loses to Chains of Ice unless heavily talented.

I should probably have clarified my comments but I was more talking about damage than actual DK usefulness in arenas. I think frost dk's will be pretty powerful in arenas but their damage is alot lower than other builds. Other builds will suffer alot to being kited and/or dispels.

It's a trade-off and in anything less than 5 mans, Frost is all I believe to be viable and even then a Prot Warrior replaces you quite easily...

Dont get me wrong, even my dk friends from whom I base most of these opinions on, are still learning the class and things will be mixed up quite abit with the next content patch alone. So things are subject to change.
    I've had a couple of fights. Some lost, most won. For the most part no one seems to look around them and I've snuck up on most people despite a big red nametag over my head.

I then sic the pet on them and rotate my shots. I die, I resurrect. There's no sense of achievement, no sense of loss.

I've seen raids on SW involving large battles. Jeez what a mess. How do you call and select a primary in a group battle? Trying to locate and click on someone is impossible.

I suppose I'll just wait and see if things pick up once I get to higher levels but without risk I don't see the point of it? Oh and I did an arena battle last night and took out two dudes my level without blinking. I assume once I get higher mana and health management become more critical over time.

On other news dinged 30 and got me a sexy rideable kitty kat last night. Very pleased my self :D

Calling targets is done by having a main assist. It is the same, essentially, as EvE do it. It's pretty tough to all target the same ship in large scale EvE PvP too without the use of main assists ;)

But yes, a good open PvP fight in EvE, is generally many times better than a similar open PvP fight in EvE.

posted by Ivan It's a trade-off and in anything less than 5 mans, Frost is all I believe to be viable and even then a Prot Warrior replaces you quite easily...

I hope you're talking about only tanking here, and not for plain dps output in heroics and raids. I'll have you know with the right class mechanic knowledge and a good rune rotation we easily top the dps scale regarding melee, the only thing that comes close are ret pallys, and BM hunters as we all know do insane amounts of damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Ivan wrote: »
    Icy Touch loses to Death coil in terms of damage, unless Icy Touch is heavily talented. Icy Touch loses to Chains of Ice unless heavily talented.

I should probably have clarified my comments but I was more talking about damage than actual DK usefulness in arenas. I think frost dk's will be pretty powerful in arenas but their damage is alot lower than other builds. Other builds will suffer alot to being kited and/or dispels.

It's a trade-off and in anything less than 5 mans, Frost is all I believe to be viable and even then a Prot Warrior replaces you quite easily...

Dont get me wrong, even my dk friends from whom I base most of these opinions on, are still learning the class and things will be mixed up quite abit with the next content patch alone. So things are subject to change.

Calling targets is done by having a main assist. It is the same, essentially, as EvE do it. It's pretty tough to all target the same ship in large scale EvE PvP too without the use of main assists ;)

But yes, a good open PvP fight in EvE, is generally many times better than a similar open PvP fight in EvE.

Yes Death coil does better damage than icy touch, but death coil costs 40 runic power whereas icy touch gives a disease and damage and also grants you runic power, i think it gives like 10 or 15 runic power. So no reason not to cast it :D

But yes of course the next patch is going to require me to change my spell rotations and general pve tanking tactics which i only kinda got used to over the last 2 days :(

• Advertisement

I hope you're talking about only tanking here, and not for plain dps output in heroics and raids. I'll have you know with the right class mechanic knowledge and a good rune rotation we easily top the dps scale regarding melee, the only thing that comes close are ret pallys, and BM hunters as we all know do insane amounts of damage.

I have been, and always will be talking about PvP. 5v5s, 3v3s and 2v2s.
    Yes, PvE DK dps is very competitive. I've already stated I believe that to be the case.
    Yes Death coil does better damage than icy touch, but death coil costs 40 runic power whereas icy touch gives a disease and damage and also grants you runic power, i think it gives like 10 or 15 runic power. So no reason not to cast it :D

But yes of course the next patch is going to require me to change my spell rotations and general pve tanking tactics which i only kinda got used to over the last 2 days :(

Depending on spec, Runes are generally vastly more important than Runic power.

Advertisement