Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the N82 ever be released in Ireland?

• 10-12-2008 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Why are we so far behind other countries when it comes to new(ish) phone releases?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

BigCon wrote: »
    Why are we so far behind other countries when it comes to new(ish) phone releases?

Because we're a small Island with a population of around 4 million, and we're further away from mainland Europe. It is also the reason why we're almost always last with everything from handsets to faster broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Because the operators know we'll suck up their "end of line" phones for months after the UK get the newer model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

No it'll never be on the networks here........which is why I ended up buying it online from germany.

Its a superb phone, basically an N95 in candybar form, camera/video is better (according to mobile review), GPS locks on faster plus its not a fatty of a phone. Only downside is the screen is bigger on the N95.

Don't think I'll be changing it for a while (unless the N97 turns out to be great).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

It's more than a year old. It's officially available to buy here sim free. However none of the networks took it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭opus

lafors wrote: »
    No it'll never be on the networks here........which is why I ended up buying it online from germany.

I went through Germany as well after waiting for a few months to see if it would show up on any network. It's working fine on 3 for me. Guess if it hasn't shown up by now, we're not going to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I have it too. Its a great phone, cant see many that beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Because we're a small Island with a population of around 4 million, and we're further away from mainland Europe. It is also the reason why we're almost always last with everything from handsets to faster broadband.

And yet just a few miles across the border people are getting free phones when we have to shell out hundreds of yo yos for the same phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭revolver2k

flodis79 wrote: »
    It's more than a year old. It's officially available to buy here sim free. However none of the networks took it in.

With good reason, i'd imagine.
    AFAIK, they employ quality control and testing measures, before ranging any particular phone. So, if none of the networks ranged it, there may have been issues with it??

Or, maybe cos it's ugly as f*ck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

And yet just a few miles across the border people are getting free phones when we have to shell out hundreds of yo yos for the same phones.

Up north they have their Island friend to the west to ensure they're kept up to date. Unfortunately, we're on our own here in the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Up north they have their Island friend to the west to ensure they're kept up to date.

East? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Had to dig a suitable-ish thread for this.

Nokia UK is selling off N82s for 200 stg. See thread in Bargain Alerts.

Not sure if they post to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

can you put sip settings into this phone for internet calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

mcguyver wrote: »
    can you put sip settings into this phone for internet calls

Yeah you can put sip settings in, I've got it set up for my blueface account.
    Works fine, bit of a lag when on a call, but not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

for sale at Nokia UK SIM free £199

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

lafors wrote: »
    Yeah you can put sip settings in, I've got it set up for my blueface account.
    Works fine, bit of a lag when on a call, but not too bad.

sorry if this seems a silly question, but does that mean you can make calls on your mobile using your blueface (voip?) account and bypass network charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

Yep works best with a good wifi connection.

Advertisement