Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone in the car!

• 10-12-2008 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Help! I had my heart set on buying a bluetooth car radio as
    a christmas present this year. Must be compatible with the iPhone 3g.
    Went into Sony last night..their bluetooth devices are compatible
    with every phone on the market apart from the iPhone. Arrgh!
    Is there any way around this. Can I buy a bluetooth adapater?
    Anyone done this out there? Is it worth getting..

Thanks folks

S

PS Is it difficult to install a new car radio or do i need
    someone in the know to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I have a Sony MEX BT5100*in my car and it works perfect for call via bluetooth but for music via bluetooth, but thats only because the iPhone doesn't support A2DP which is required for music streaming.

But for calls it works fine

*I do not vouch for this seller this is only a reference of the Sony unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Parrot have some car kits and I think a iphone compatible car radio. (Think its ridiculous that iphone doesnt have A2DP)
    see http://www.parrot.com/uk
    The mki9200 is iphone compatible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

I suspect that Apple will one day add A2DP to the iPhone. I understand they could do it in a software upgrade but they'll probably make it a feature of a new generation iPhone instead.:mad:

So, basically, if what you're after is music streamed wirelessly via bluetooth from your iPhone to your car radio, you're out of luck. If what you want is just a hands-free calling solution, there are lots of radios that should work. I have an Alpine IDA-X001 with the optional bluetooth unit and it works fine for calls with the iPhone 3G.

(I use it with a separate iPod in the glove box for music. I don't know what would happen if I hooked my iPhone up to the iPod connector. I assume I could play the music but no longer receive calls on the phone.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

You cant make a bluetooth device A2DP with a software update, it needs a new chip,so the iphone 3G will never get this functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

billbond4 wrote: »
    You cant make a bluetooth device A2DP with a software update, it needs a new chip,so the iphone 3G will never get this functionality.

You can if the feature is there already, but is not enabled, which is the case with the iPhone.

Can't find a source, but I recall reading it while researching my purchase of the iPhone.

• Advertisement

billbond4 wrote: »

I don't believe you are right about that. My understanding is that the iPhone 3G uses the CSR BlueCore4 chip. If you look at this data sheet, you'll see that the chip is recommended for "MP3 Applications." That suggests that it is capable of A2DP functionality and that a firmware upgrade could provide it.

[Later edit:] My bad: the chip is the BlueCore6. But the main point remains: the iPhone chip can do A2DP.

And here's the petition.

Suebee wrote: »
    PS Is it difficult to install a new car radio or do i need someone in the know to do it?

If you're asking the question, chances are you need someone else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Suebee

The Parrot range of products dont seem to be completely compatible with the iPhone, i.e music cannot be streamed wirelessly. Have to plug in a usb cable, which is what I can get from Sony I think.

total pain in the arse phone,for something so hyped. i will not be buying one any time soon, unfortunately the other half has one and is keeping it!

Suebee wrote: »
    The Parrot range of products dont seem to be completely compatible with the iPhone, i.e music cannot be streamed wirelessly. Have to plug in a usb cable, which is what I can get from Sony I think.

That's because, as the previous posts point out, music cannot be streamed wirelessly from an iPhone via bluetooth to any device at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

U can buy an adapter for the iphone(or any ipod) that gives it A2DP... I use it with my iphone n ipod n it works perfectly with my parrot setup...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IO-PLAY-BLUETOOTH-ADAPTER-A2DP-FOR-IPOD-NANO-IPHONE-3G_W0QQitemZ370112199419QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081113?IMSfp=TL081113129003r38737

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have a slightly older version of this Sony car stereo, and it works perfectly for calls with the iPhone 3G. Not sure why Sony are telling you they are all incompatible.

Never tried streaming music for the reasons above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

unklerosco wrote: »
    U can buy an adapter for the iphone(or any ipod) that gives it A2DP... I use it with my iphone n ipod n it works perfectly with my parrot setup...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IO-PLAY-BLUETOOTH-ADAPTER-A2DP-FOR-IPOD-NANO-IPHONE-3G_W0QQitemZ370112199419QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081113?IMSfp=TL081113129003r38737
    can you confirm that this will also work with the iPhone 3G?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I can't confirm as I don't have one... But I see no reason why it wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Suebee

unklerosco wrote: »

Great OK, so I need an adaptor which will give me A2DP..
    the idea of wires coming out of the radio just doesnt appeal...we are getting somewhere I think!!

So if I can get my hands on an iPhone A2DP adaptor chances are it will work with any bluetooth stereo device? Would rather not go for the parrott player.

Thanks all, will report back after xmas with good news hopefully :)

Advertisement