Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Democracy comes to Sark

Options
  • 10-12-2008 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

From the Beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/guernsey/7774140.stm
    The Channel Islanders of Sark are expected to vote in high numbers later for their first democratic government after nearly 450 years of feudal rule.

The polling station at Island Hall will open from 1000 to 1800 GMT, when up to 474 voters will elect 28 conseillers to the island's Chief Pleas.

The constitution was changed to comply with European human rights legislation.

This ends the last Feudal system in Europe. The locals appear to be divided on this but i suppose they had to come up to date at some point.

Is this a good thing? I think it is as it allows EU law to be incorporated into the islands law, it is a shame though that a tradition has ended.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

the feudal system is outdated. Their better off really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the feudal system is outdated. Their better off really.
    are you trying to tell me you are better off than the people of sark ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

will this affect the annual sheep race ?

Advertisement