Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor prices rises in txts & calls - Pay as you Go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

gurramok wrote: »
    Yeh, but it depends on the reliability of the network operators website.

In this case, Meteor website is more down than up, past experience of AFT comes to mind.

you might be thinking of the o2 website. i can't remember the last time the meteor website was down. and anyway, the few people i regularly text have a few numbers from me, one on each network and they know that if they get a text from any of them they should text back to my normal one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

robbing cnuts . im switching networks over this. i use international texts a lot, so ill be looking elsewhere now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Hmm I'm on Leisure time and there doesn't seem to be any pending change...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

ablelocks wrote: »
    Time for a looksee at the other networks (altho' I doubt they're any better). I wonder how difficult it would be to wean off a mobile phone altogether?

Ah not to worry.
    I just hope something like this http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/12/27/south-korea-approves-standard-for-voice-over-wibro/ will shake up mobile telephony pricing on this side of the world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

The reasoning behind this is simple. They're a business and out to make profit,. I would also say they're not a challenger brand anymore and don't need to engage in the same level of price slashing they used to in order to attract customers.

Plus, increases in prepay prices make contract propositions more attractive to a customer........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

pvt.joker wrote: »
    robbing cnuts . im switching networks over this. i use international texts a lot, so ill be looking elsewhere now.

You will save 20% with Tesco Prepay with 20 cent international texts.
    Hmm I'm on Leisure time and there doesn't seem to be any pending change...

The robbers have introduced a 9 cent minimum call charge on Leisure Time Plus. A 900% increase. They have also hiked international texts by 75% like their other plans. See ...
    http://www.meteor.ie/plans/pay_as_you_go/price_plans/older_plans/leisuretime_plus/
    I would also say they're not a challenger brand anymore and don't need to engage in the same level of price slashing they used to in order to attract customers.

Exactly, they are now looking at every way they can increase charges rather than being competitive. The only serious pre pay challenger now Tesco Mobile and to a lesser extent 3 pre pay. If we all moved to Tesco pre pay with free Tesco calls & texts, 20 cent anytime calls, 9c texts and buy one get one free on top ups then we would all save a fortune and tell Meteor where to stick their stealth tariff increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wiggum

This is sick and wrong that Meteor can get away with hiking call charges on the sly without giving adequate notice. Now that they have 21% market share they have stopped caring about the customer that has got them to this level. It's time to boycott.

Well said Fungus ...Let's compare Tesco Mobile versus Meteor's new customer Anytime Choice ...

Meteor to any network - 29 cent versus 20 cent with Tesco (45% saving with Tesco)
    Text messages - 12 cent versus 9 cent with Tesco (33% saving with Tesco)
    International Texts - 25 cent versus 20 cent with Tesco (25% saving with Tesco)

Top Up Bonus - Free network texts and calls with Meteor versus Free network calls and texts plus buy one get one free with Tesco (50% saving on your top up with Tesco).

METEOR - after countless years with you this is the final straw. Goodbye!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

gurramok wrote: »
    I was never notified of this. Txts gone from 9c to 12c and mobile-mobile call charges from 25c to 29c as well as mobile-landline gone up form 25c to 29c with both having a minimum call charge of 9c. :mad:

Anyone else notice this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/business/28digi.html

SMS costs the carriers close to zero to send and receive see the link...
    They must be running short on cash....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Fungus wrote: »

The robbers have introduced a 9 cent minimum call charge on Leisure Time Plus. A 900% increase. They have also hiked international texts by 75% like their other plans. See ...
    http://www.meteor.ie/plans/pay_as_you_go/price_plans/older_plans/leisuretime_plus/

I'm on Leisuretime... NOT plus... So your point is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

wiggum wrote: »
    This is sick and wrong that Meteor can get away with hiking call charges on the sly without giving adequate notice. Now that they have 21% market share they have stopped caring about the customer that has got them to this level. It's time to boycott.

Well said Fungus ...Let's compare Tesco Mobile versus Meteor's new customer Anytime Choice ...

Meteor to any network - 29 cent versus 20 cent with Tesco (45% saving with Tesco)
    Text messages - 12 cent versus 9 cent with Tesco (33% saving with Tesco)
    International Texts - 25 cent versus 20 cent with Tesco (25% saving with Tesco)

Top Up Bonus - Free network texts and calls with Meteor versus Free network calls and texts plus buy one get one free with Tesco (50% saving on your top up with Tesco).

METEOR - after countless years with you this is the final straw. Goodbye!!

Lads you have it easy in the south for porting. Don't waste time, complaining about it on boards, get your number ported. It only takes a short period of time to do and the port takes a matter of hours. I'm up north battling with PAC codes and 6 day move times and porting teams that aren't arsed working sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

i am on meteor talk 60 20 e a month....

it ststes on there website that all meteor to meteor texts are free....

when i got my bill this month i noticed that i was being charged for them all ?

i emailed them and they said i only get 30 a month.....

so i asked why on there site it says different and that i wanted a refund for the texts i was wrongly charged for....

they said i have to be on a different promotion plan on talk60 but i was never told this??? its still talk60 i dont see a difference....

am i entitled to a refund for the meteor to meteor texts i was charged for ?

nothing wrote: »
    I'm on Leisuretime... NOT plus... So your point is moot.

Ok fair enough they don't seem to have altered their Leisuretime tariffs. There are very few still on this tariff.
    Lads you have it easy in the south for porting. Don't waste time, complaining about it on boards, get your number ported. It only takes a short period of time to do and the port takes a matter of hours. I'm up north battling with PAC codes and 6 day move times and porting teams that aren't arsed working sundays.

Yeah porting is much easier in the republic to port than in the UK. It is easy for us all to walk with our feet and I hope a significant number of Meteor customers do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

CRAIG07 wrote: »
    i am on meteor talk 60 20 e a month....

it ststes on there website that all meteor to meteor texts are free....

when i got my bill this month i noticed that i was being charged for them all ?

i emailed them and they said i only get 30 a month.....

so i asked why on there site it says different and that i wanted a refund for the texts i was wrongly charged for....

they said i have to be on a different promotion plan on talk60 but i was never told this??? its still talk60 i dont see a difference....

am i entitled to a refund for the meteor to meteor texts i was charged for ?

the talk60 with free meteor to meteor texts is old and hasn't been the default for about two years. the new one gives you free saturday calls, see here. so i'm afraid you were charged correctly for those texts. you should call up and ask to be switched to the old talk 60 tariff (05) if it's still available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

Was reading through this thread and just want to say....

"9c Minimum Call Charge is RIDICULOUS!" Ye get charged that even if it goes into their mailbox...MADNESS!

Change to O2 People :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

u have a choice of free meteor calls and texts or free txts to any network so...who cares how much the text prices have gone up?

frankymail wrote: »
    Was reading through this thread and just want to say....

"9c Minimum Call Charge is RIDICULOUS!" Ye get charged that even if it goes into their mailbox...MADNESS!

Change to O2 People :D

O2 are 5c, as far as I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

marko91 wrote: »
    u have a choice of free meteor calls and texts or free txts to any network so...who cares how much the text prices have gone up?

International texts went up by a massive 75% from 15cent to 25cent, a fu^cking scandal. And they're not included in your "free texts to any network"

Im leaving meteor first thing tomorrow over this. c*nts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PatAlpha

Thats outrageous. How can they justify that. I will be leaving as soon as my credit is gone. Vote with your feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Free Calls and Texts had to be paid for some how... Still no other network offers anything equivalent to that.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Free Calls and Texts had to be paid for some how... Still no other network offers anything equivalent to that.

Rubbish.

Tesco mobile offer free texts and free calls and two for one top ups.

PatAlpha wrote: »
    Thats outrageous. How can they justify that. I will be leaving as soon as my credit is gone. Vote with your feet.

What network are you joining? O2 are far worse at 49 cent a call. Voda are not much better. Tesco Mobile or 3 are the only really value options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Fungus wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Tesco mobile offer free texts and free calls and two for one top ups.

To the whole 2 people in Ireland that are on Tesco mobile... Useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

every network except 3 has it now. meteor has been doing price hikes ever since their network started to improve

giving with one hand and taking with the other. this is worse than the taxi drivers bumming up the fares 'cause over the years they would leave everyone off a few cents

The point is that texts costs are absolutely close to zero, so any costs or rise in costs is simply gouging or piracy.

To the whole 2 people in Ireland that are on Tesco mobile... Useless.

When you factor in the 2 for one tops you will probably save.

bealtine wrote: »
    The point is that texts costs are absolutely close to zero, so any costs or rise in costs is simply gouging or piracy.

Exactly text messages are about a close to pure profile and 100% margins as you get. Eircon/Meteor are hiking prices because they think the excess profile they will make will make up for the number of people that will walk.

towel401 wrote: »
    they're all pushing up the price. 3 desperately trying to get people on their new more expensive plan

This is shooting themselves in the foot, both of them.
    They really need to provide better service both technically and in their call centres (Meteors call centre isn't too bad but could be improved) if they want to up their revenue streams.
    Don't forget the ARPU from Irish mobile customers is still one of the highest in the EU, perhaps in the world. "it's because we talk more" or some such transparent nonsense.Of course failing to recognise that the prices charged are exorbitant in the first place...

Texts cost close to zero to process,store and forward so I fail to see what could justify such a massive price increase.

• Advertisement

pvt.joker wrote: »
    International texts went up by a massive 75% from 15cent to 25cent, a fu^cking scandal. And they're not included in your "free texts to any network"

Im leaving meteor first thing tomorrow over this. c*nts

O2: 25c

Voda: 25c

3: Don't want to spend the effort looking

Meteor: 25c 'Irish' packages, 15c International package.

You're going to end up paying the same, but O2, granted, do allow international SMS from their webtexts. When the site is working.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement