Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions please!! What about allowing some limited local advertising here?

Options
  • 10-12-2008 12:09pm

I've kicked this idead up to the admins, and its there call as to yeah or neagh.

However, what do you (the posters) think about allowing for limited local advertising here?

The idea would be to create a thread where very simple and basic ads could be put up by posters who have received a good product or service.

To prevent spam, there would be a min post count, and common sense would apply. Ie, don't plug fifty companies in 10 mins.

What do you all think? We don't have huge traffic through here but in times of recession like this, every little helps*!

*Not a plug for Tesco!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I don't see a problem with that... and as I'm quite new to the town, would like recommendations sometimes. In return, I don't mind recommending people or businesses i've used.

I wouldn't like the forum to become like gum tree though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭FreeEnergy

Unless someone is selling toilet roll or something we all need i think the
    market will be tiny. Even though i'd like to plug my own failing business i think it's ultimately pointless.

You aren't that guy from Steorn are you??

Hi,

Sorry i don't know who/what/where Steorn is.

FE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I oppose this plan. Whilst I appreciate that the idea being of benefit to local businesses, through the people of the locality of shopping locally, perhaps only upon discovering a certain seller via Boards, is very noble, I don't think that Boards should move towards a Gumtree-like style.

Boards does a very good job of providing a forum for discussion, information-seeking and even recommendations. Even if the Admins/Mods were to allow posters to advertise only if they had a certain post count, there may be a proliferation of low-quality posts by these users in order to get to advertise. These would need to be moderated by other Mods, of course.

• Advertisement

FreeEnergy wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry i don't know who/what/where Steorn is.

FE

They were an Irish company who had claimed to have invented a source of renewable free energy.

Really strange story, worth a google.

Sorry not me.
    I make things that actually work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Plugging on their own business I am unsure about. If people used a service and thought it was good, plug away. If you need a service but dont know who to go to, ask away. That kind of thing is a better solution. Worked in the Waterford forum anyway, and I think it could be handy here. :)

Advertisement