Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slight handbrake problem - Will it matter for the NCT?

Options
  • 10-12-2008 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi there. I've a 97 VW Polo and there's a slight problem with the handbrake. Sometimes the release button at the top of the handbrake won't spring out, when this happens I obviously can't engage the break. I've found a handy way of stopping this, I just have to give it a bit of 'wiggle' and it pops right back out. I've my NCT on Friday and chances are it mightn't happen when its being tested - but should I just mention it to the tester just in case??

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the handbrake doesn't work properly during the test it will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It will fail even if you tell the tester beforehand or not.

This is the reason for the test to weed out cars with issues.

A handbrake not engaged left unattended is a risk so they will never pass it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 damp sponge

Great - I'll add it to the list so. thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

We got our car NCT'd a couple of months ago. My dad worked out it's cheaper to get it NCT'd first and fix the problems than bring it to a garage first. I think the second NCT is cheaper if it's within a month of the first one.

Advertisement