Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scuffle at NUIG last night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Ha I was getting phoned by the Irish Daily Star asking me for the contact info for the lad who got into the ruckus with O'Keefe

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

oh lads you've done it now...

You've angered a bunch of students
    Ah that place has been on the slide since Thongs -v- Knickers petered out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Oh dear... They just quoted that post in the context of the quoted thread. **** just got real, Lets keep it up
    Ha I was getting phoned by the Irish Daily Star asking me for the contact info for the lad who got into the ruckus with O'Keefe
    Im sure you told them where to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Them there fancy college types picked up on my spelling mistake danggum! Ah well sure I've still got a big cock so I guess I won't lose sleep over it. My personal opinion on the fee's is that the fee's should be increased, not to the full amount..have partially subsidised and also bring in a loan system like alot of other countrys have.

So what if you can't afford to take a year out after the stress of 4 years of college or can't afford to do another 2 or 3 years in college because you think you might have a chance at a better job eventually...welcome to the world ya little bottom feeders! How about you work and earn your travel or further education instead of sucking the tax payers dry.

I have been in the Engineering building alot and I agree that its pretty bad and in need of an upgrade but did the college need to build a 22 million sports hall!?...the hospital across the road is in shambles and the college raised the funds for that crap?..I know ohhh we paid extra yada yada yada. But who there that paid the extra would kick up a fuss if the fees went to something worth while. Imagine how many of the patients in A&E through the year are drunken students anyway!?...anywho screw it what do I know! Let them whinge on their college forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

How noble they are, cornering a politician and taunting him to the extent that he starts assaulting people - I'd bet half of those bunch are the type that will be back in college next august repeating anyways. Bunch of tosspots.

... just read through it and im disgusted, what the **** do these people know about it? im so tempted to register and spam the whole thing to hell so the thread gets deleated

what a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    - I'd bet half of those bunch are the type that will be back in college next august repeating anyways. Bunch of tosspots.

They were there because they've nothing to do with their time but act like yobs.

Once they get out of college,start working in Supermacs, they'll hate students too and won't give a **** about fees any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

How noble they are, cornering a politician and taunting him to the extent that he starts assaulting people - I'd bet half of those bunch are the type that will be back in college next august repeating anyways. Bunch of tosspots.
    Why do you assume that the fault was on our part and that O'Cuiv didn't just lash out? No one went out of their way to corner him - they were trying to get to the doors before him to block them.

And I can't vouch for everyone but there is very little chance of me or my friends being around doing repeats. I study, ok I'm taking a break for ten minutes but I've been working all semester, and so do they and we were around on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

what a hero.

In all fairness, judging by his spelling that guy needs all the free college he can get.

Why do you assume that the fault was on our part and that O'Cuiv didn't just lash out?

Because you...went to his office brandishing sticks...? Why didn't you just light 'em and call them torches? Did ye drink the lighter fluid? Ah..ye students and ye're drink.

I'm a student btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whatshisface

Hi guys, Whatshisface from SIN here :D
    He should of floored the little fecker. The main is a SAINT!!
    First of all, it's 'he should have'. That's the kind of thing my education is teaching me. Secondly, why is the man a saint? If I grabbed you and started shaking you I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be calling me a saint.
    If O'Cuiv had taken charge of the stick and started dishing out trashings to the assembled student body, it might have reversed the downward spiral of FF in the polls.

Missed opportunity tbh.
    Great idea, let's put the incompetent ministers in prison :D
    that jacket is going to score high marks in the creative fashion statement course when he hands it up
    Are you really naive enough to think the way a person dresses genuinely reflects their intelligence or personality? I'm sure you have worn some items of clothing in the past that you regret now.
    surely if one had two or three brain cells they would know its registration fee's that is there main issue
    It's spelled 'their'. Registration fees are only one of the issues, tuition fees are the other. What makes you such an expert on the matter, may I ask?
    Shower of twats
    In your opinion. I must say you seem very informed on the whole issue, were you there?
    Bunch of no good vagrants
    How do you know that? Have you ever met any of us? Have you spoken with any of us on the issues at hand? I'd love to debate this with you in person, how about we arrange a debate about the issue in a public forum?
    welcome to the world ya little bottom feeders! How about you work and earn your travel or further education instead of sucking the tax payers dry
    I have a job thankyou, and the money I earn goes towards paying for simple things such as books I need for university, food to keep me from starving etc. I also pay my taxes.
    did the college need to build a 22 million sports hall!?
    The sports hall in question was paid for by the students, sir. At the beginning of this year I paid €1122, €900 of which went to the government and the rest went towards the sports hall.
    screw it what do I know! Let them whinge on their college forum
    I heartily agree, what do you know? We will debate this issue further on our college forum, yes. Thankyou for your contribution.
    I'd bet half of those bunch are the type that will be back in college next august repeating anyways. Bunch of tosspots.
    How much would you like to bet? I have yet to fail an exam. Why do you make such assumptions about my peers and myself? What is your basis for calling us tosspots? You don't know us, there is no logical reason you can have for being biased against us. When you are better informed, I will be happy to debate this with you again.
    They were there because they've nothing to do with their time but act like yobs.

Once they get out of college,start working in Supermacs, they'll hate students too and won't give a **** about fees any more.

I have much better things to do with my time thankyou, but I am not lazy enough to stand by while my very future is threatened. No one acted like 'yobs', it was a peaceful protest as you would know if you had been there. The only violent person was the minister, who, as the pictures show, was not surrounded by students with sticks as he claims. Also, when I finish college I will not be working in supermacs, I will have a rewarding and respected job in the Health Professions. I will still care about fees, as they will affect my children in 20 years time.

As far as I can see everyone who has posted in this forum so far has stereotyped 'students' as hooligans and 'yobs', with no basis for doing so. You simply do not with to see your precious minister presented to you in a bad light, and so you are in denial. You may whine and complain about students as much as you wish, but it will not change how uninformed you are.

Thankyou for reading, yours sincerely, Whatshisface :D

• Advertisement

Thankyou for reading, yours sincerely, Whatshisface :D

There's a space between "thank" and "you." Education my hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whatshisface

There's a space between "thank" and "you." Education my hole.

Is that the only response you have? Thanks, you're helping me make my point. If you were in any way informed on this issue you would have had something else to say other than correcting my grammar.

Is that the only response you have? Thanks, you're helping me make my point.

No no, you tried being a pedant regarding other people's grammar in your previous post and you fell at the final hurdle with your own mistake. That makes you a hypocrite, you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

If O'Cuiv had taken charge of the stick and started dishing out trashings to the assembled student body, it might have reversed the downward spiral of FF in the polls.

Missed opportunity tbh.

Great idea, let's put the incompetent ministers in prison :D

I dunno where you're getting that from. Lumping a student is only punishable by no garlic sauce with a Snackbox, if Eyre Square rules are anything to go by.

Imo anyone who went along to that farce of a protest, while they had exams, don't seem to have college education at the top of their priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

Because you...went to his office brandishing sticks...? Why didn't you just light 'em and call them torches? Did ye drink the lighter fluid? Ah..ye students and ye're drink.
    What? I think you're mixing up two completely different events. Last Thursday 20 students occupied O'Cuiv's Office. On Tuesday 50 - 70 students protested Batt O'Keefe's visit to the college which O'Cuiv turned up to. When students blocked his entrance to several doors he grabbed a student and shook him. When it came to media attention he came up with a story about his secretary being squashed against the wall, kicked, and someone was brandishing a stick (quite obviously a placard). Not even O'Cuiv said any of the protestors from last Thursday turned up in his office wielding sticks.
    toiletduck wrote: »
    Imo anyone who went along to that farce of a protest, while they had exams, don't seem to have college education at the top of their priorities.
    I do have education on the top of my priorities. I had an exam that day and not another one for another week. No one was stupid enough to do that (or at least no one that I know who was there).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The odds are good that this is the same "piece of timber"
    http://www.sin.nuigalway.ie/gallery2/v/December+08/Fees+protest/Protest+057.jpg.html

I'm sure the nuclear option of blocking all of NUIG from boards.ie is still available should anyone come on and do anything disrupting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

sceptre wrote: »
    I'm sure the nuclear option of blocking all of NUIG from boards.ie is still available should anyone come on and do anything disrupting.

oh noes!!! :eek: Not everyone in NUIG is a student... Although if boards.ie was blocked the benefit to education would probably be FAR greater than the corporal punishments lashed out by government ministers and clothes shopping grants handed out by councils.

Besides yer manno who's causing all the fuss about being manhandled was from GMIT so it seems. Damn subversives. The NUIG SU has so far ran a very intelligent, creative and peaceful anti-fees campaign that I was really impressed with.

The students who took over O'Cuiv's office and caused the big brew-ha-ha were antagonised by some leftie outfit at Free Education For Everyone . Rossport must be getting boring huh? These lads have set up in colleges all over the country leading THAT kind of protest which resulted in two UCD students getting arrested at a sit-in last October.

When will these cappuccino hippies move out of the house, take a bath and put all their wasted energy into something FAR more useful: a job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 READY&WILLING

Reading all the messages on here gives clear evidence to the fact that Fianna Fail have you eating out of their holes. Are we wrong to protest against government ministers who are attemting to block access to college. I am a 5th year law student, 3 years in arts and now 2 years of the LLB, I have never failed an exam, I am the youngest tutor in the college, teaching first year philosophy students, I have won scholarships for high marks and most importantly - I WAS THERE ON TUESDAY NIGHT, I AM A MEMBER OF FEE, I STAND OUTSIDE ATLANTIC HOMECARE WHEN NEEDED WITH TOMMY TO PROTEST AGAINST THE ISRAELI WAR MACHINE AND I DID NOT USE ANY FORCE AGAINST THESE SO CALLED MINISTERS. The people on this thread seem to be the ones working in supermacs, they are looking jealously over, regretting they made nothing of themselves, while at the same time turning a blind eye to the fact that the government is shafting everyone. How come you are not getting at the pensioners for protesting? The farmers? The teachers? You just like to reinforce stereotypes, I had an exam on Tuesday afternoon, my next one is next wednesday, I had time to protest, not sit in front of a computer all day and hide behind a fake name. And I pay me fees, you only have to come to Tesco at night to see me working away to raise the cash.

Now that that unpleasentness is behind us forever lets continue with out student bashing. They are a very arrogant bunch eh?!? I wonder is it students that are the ones that always pick on grammer and netiquette on forum sites?
    I also mentioned that the students paid for that and thanks for calling me sir, you know your place.

I had an exam on Tuesday afternoon, my next one is next wednesday

Here's a tip for wednesday's exam:

• Paragraphs.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

You simply do not with to see your precious minister presented to you in a bad light, and so you are in denial.

Honestly when your going to come along and be all high and mighty about other peoples spelling and grammar and start talking about how highly educated you are.... hell even back in 1st class a teacher would be taking out their red pen to the above.

Also comments about coming on here and spamming the thread to get it deleted is a childish reaction. People have different views on different matters and you seem to be intolerant of those views. If in a public debate someone was putting across points you did not agree with or like would you put duct tape on their mouth so they would not be able to voice them?

You will find that a vast number of people on boards have a 3rd level education that or they have yet to reach it. We have been there at some point, when some part of the student body had something to protest, looking back on it most were a storm in a tea cup. I can not even remember what it was when I was in college but I do remember there was something. I don't remember as I was in lectures and labs trying to learn while the activists went out marching, strangely enough with a pub as their finishing point.

While I can admire people standing up for what they believe in and was actually the first one to post here that the bit of timber was most likely a stick missing its card (have to ask the question why still carry it and have it raised). But the actions lately have been questionable I mean "occupying" his offices? Protest outside fair enough and you might have got a lot more notice from the passing public and maybe a bit more support.

For one I think the cutbacks in education are a mistake, but I would be more talking about the cuts in primary, second level and special needs. The issue of fees for third level well I would agree to the introduction of fees to the families that can afford it as long as that money was used to fund the college and not going back to central government for them to spend on hair cuts and private jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

In fairness, the "protest" was in the evening. I'd be more inclined to agree with you if it was end of year exams.

The Students' Union could hardly have wanted this sort of action. Look at the single aspected photograph that is appearing everywhere with Ó Cuív when this is how things were before -- peaceful, non-threatening:

Protest+012.jpg

His inconsistent stories the day after were pathetic. Wasn't there myself, but things clearly were escalated when that branch of protesters went to pursue Ó Cuív.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

How cute. All it needs is a campfire.

Reading all the messages on here gives clear evidence to the fact that Fianna Fail have you eating out of their holes. Are we wrong to protest against government ministers who are attemting to block access to college. I am a 5th year law student, 3 years in arts and now 2 years of the LLB, I have never failed an exam, I am the youngest tutor in the college, teaching first year philosophy students, I have won scholarships for high marks and most importantly - I WAS THERE ON TUESDAY NIGHT, I AM A MEMBER OF FEE, I STAND OUTSIDE ATLANTIC HOMECARE WHEN NEEDED WITH TOMMY TO PROTEST AGAINST THE ISRAELI WAR MACHINE AND I DID NOT USE ANY FORCE AGAINST THESE SO CALLED MINISTERS. The people on this thread seem to be the ones working in supermacs, they are looking jealously over, regretting they made nothing of themselves, while at the same time turning a blind eye to the fact that the government is shafting everyone. How come you are not getting at the pensioners for protesting? The farmers? The teachers? You just like to reinforce stereotypes, I had an exam on Tuesday afternoon, my next one is next wednesday, I had time to protest, not sit in front of a computer all day and hide behind a fake name. And I pay me fees, you only have to come to Tesco at night to see me working away to raise the cash.

You truly are a beacon of hope in an otherwise dark land. Would you like to go large for an extra 50cent?

Oh dear taken from the sin boards

Ready and Willing posted
    Secondly, I'm muslim, so calling me 'drunken' is slander and I will be taking this further, I have never drank in my life and never will.

In response to
    I don't know "Joe".

I've no reason to believe "Joe".

Nor do I care what "Joe" said. As far as I know he's a drunken liar who couldn't pick O'Cuiv from a line up.

I wonder if Frada you should seek legal advice for your paragraphs comment. Be careful lads we have Mr no paragraphs, the youngest tutor in nuig, soon to be ambulance chaser, calls himself "Vigilante Rebel" bring religion into it guy upset. There could be legal action coming our way....:rolleyes:

Funny since being a law student you would think he would know...

A vigilante is a person who ignores due process of law and enacts their own form of justice in response to a perception of insufficient response by the authorities.

Maybe he will join us for a pint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

his turban is obstructing his eyes

Maybe he will join us for a pint?

He will be stocking the shelves in tesco that night.

Oh btw READY&WILLING he was not a so called minister, he is one and was elected by the majority of people to represent them in government.

I’m not a FF fan but I do respect the will of the people, and due process in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

sceptre wrote: »
    The odds are good that this is the same "piece of timber"
    http://www.sin.nuigalway.ie/gallery2/v/December+08/Fees+protest/Protest+057.jpg.html

I dont think John Breslin would be too happy if that was implemented :)

EDIT:
    3 years in arts and now 2 years of the LLB, I have never failed an exam,

Of course you didn't fail, it was Arts.

• Advertisement

Here's a tip for wednesday's exam:

• Paragraphs.

That is all.

I know tit for tat and all but can we stop with the net grammar bull****. I'm not in college anymore so I'd rather not have my typing graded by some pompus ass. Not so much directed at you because your just retaliating

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement