Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect needed for Attic Conversion/Dormer Window

• 10-12-2008 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm looking for an architect to help me with drawings and planning permission etc for a conversion I would like to do on the top floor of the house.

The house is 2.5 floors (i.e. it has got an attic room already, including staircase, floors, velux window etc), and I would like to have a large dormer window constructed.

I understand I need planning permission for this type of project, but would like to keep costs relatively low, so I'm looking for someone to do this as a nixer perhaps, provided they have PI insurance, and are qualified for the work. I do not need the person to supervise the construction, only to get me through planning, and provide basic drawings/specs so that I can have it costed by a few builders

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

huggie wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for an architect to help me with drawings and planning permission etc for a conversion I would like to do on the top floor of the house.

The house is 2.5 floors (i.e. it has got an attic room already, including staircase, floors, velux window etc), and I would like to have a large dormer window constructed.

I understand I need planning permission for this type of project, but would like to keep costs relatively low, so I'm looking for someone to do this as a nixer perhaps, provided they have PI insurance, and are qualified for the work. I do not need the person to supervise the construction, only to get me through planning, and provide basic drawings/specs so that I can have it costed by a few builders

So you want to avail of someones expertise and their PI but perhaps not pay them the necessary fees?

AFAIK, a nixer will be paid in cash and therefore will never appear in the books and hence PI will not apply.

if u dont need supervision, how will u get sign off on that it was done right so as u can sell the house with no issues or will this too be
    so I'm looking for someone to do this as a nixer perhaps, provided they have PI insurance, and are qualified for the work

IMO, a miserable way to seek help:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Hi,

By definition a nixer is done by someone in employment/ not self employed. why then would they have PI. If they have got PI then it would be safe to assume they are legit and self employed and therefore unlikly to do this as a Nixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 huggie

OK Carlow52 & topcatcbr,

I didn't realise I was going to get bawled out of it for stating what I would like. By nixer, I meant that there may be somone out there who does this stuff to augment their income, and who has PI, rather than my going through a firm of architects, where the cost for me will be too high. Is it not possible for this to exist? I would have thought that, current economic climate considered, coupled with what I read about architects being paid off, there are suitable qualified people out there who would appreciate this work.

I am not looking for something for nothing. I am looking for good value, and considering that it's a dormer window extension, it's not going to take Norman Foster to do it. I did not say that I would not pay them the "necessary fees".

topcatcbr, I don't need site supervision, as my girlfriend is a building surveyor/contracts manager for a construction firm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

why do you need someone with PI if its only to get it through planning? If you are only going to engage someone services for planning, and a faul is a construction related on their PI won't cover it anyway.

surley your girl friend can recommd someone, if she's in the industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry huggie but the forum isnt really intended to be a place to locate and engage people to do nixers or indeed any type of work.

Locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I didn't realise I was going to get bawled out of it for stating what I would like. By nixer, I meant that there may be somone out there who does this stuff to augment their income, and who has PI, rather than my going through a firm of architects, where the cost for me will be too high. Is it not possible for this to exist?
    And just to close.
    No, that really isn't possible.
    people do nixers to supplement their income. They may or may not have PI, but if you want to avail of it then you have to go through the books and pay the extra fees (these fees are there to cover the PI after all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement