Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good intake of food?

• 10-12-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a bit of a boiler. And it's all my own doing as I'm a monster for eating jellies and drinking fizzy drinks. I don't drink alcohol though (1 pint a fortnight) as I play with a band and I'm always driving at the weekends. And as a result of jellymania, I have a weird body, thin arms, thin legs, and a bump in the mid section.

So I've switched diet about a month ago, and I'm liking what I'm eating, but it's a step towards loosing the gut, and I'm sure there are some boardsies on here who can give me some more advice. Here's a typical daily diet :

Breakfast - Cereal
    11's - Banana, Apple, 1/2 pitta bread with cheese and meat
    2's - Same as above
    Evening meal - usually something polish as she dictates the dinner, consisting of meat, either rice/potatoes plenty of veg

I drink lots during the day too, maybe 4-5 cups of tea, and usually a fruit drink.

Is this an okay diet? For me, it's a million times better than the rubbish I had been eating, but I wonder is it too much fruit, or too little, and what else I can do to improve it.

I will be complimenting the new diet with exercise too, but would definitely appreciate all the advice I can get here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

it might be useful to post up your current stats too? like height + weight, it would give a better indication .. The diet doesnt look TOO bad but you should loose the jelly's and soft drinks ... Dont worry about eating fruit, it is good .. but avoid fruit drinks ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Are the pittas white or brown wholemeal? You could try wraps either and stick them under the grill, very nice with onions, peppers, lettuce, tomato, meat and melted cheese etc. (gettin hungry now!)

You could switch to diet soft drinks, maybe 5 calories/100ml and 0 fat/sugar. Coke Zero/Diet 7up actually isnt that bad.

What cereal do you eat out of interest?
    Much exercise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

corkcomp wrote: »
    The diet doesnt look TOO bad but you should loose the jelly's and soft drinks ... Dont worry about eating fruit, it is good .. but avoid fruit drinks ..

Sorry, should have clarified, I'm off the jellies/soft drinks since I switched to the new diet a month ago. Fruit drinks are bad? Glad I asked now :eek: What else would you recommend?
    B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Are the pittas white or brown wholemeal?

White pitta breads currently.
    B00MSTICK wrote: »
    What cereal do you eat out of interest?
    Much exercise?

The cereal depends on what herself buys. Some weeks it's rice crispies, some week's it's the devil - coco pops, and some weeks it's crunchy nut cornflakes.

Exercise? Not remotely enough. I'm trying to make more time for that, I work 2 jobs (No excuse, I know), and I have a treadmill, and Wiifit at home. I guess I get maybe one good workout a week currently, but I'm hoping to up that to three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ned78 wrote: »
    Fruit drinks are bad? Glad I asked now :eek:
    most fruit juice will have the same sugar per 100ml as your fizzy drinks. And since many are concentrated down and diluted back up and pasturised, you will lose nutirients. So basically they are just a little better than your coke. Eating the fruit is more filling, you get fibre, and you would not eat 500g of oranges as easy as drinking the equivalent weight of juice.

You could change to diet stuff, or just water. In winter I have hot cups of lemon & honey. I also just have dilutable stuff and use very little in water. I reckon the additional water I drink due to it being palatable offsets the negatives of the sugar and other crap in the miwadi type drinks.

White pitta breads currently.
    Wholemeal pitta is widely available now, lower GI so keeps you full longer and does not cause insulin spikes, which can lead to cravings and fat gain.

The cereal depends on what herself buys. Some weeks it's rice crispies, some week's it's the devil - coco pops, and some weeks it's crunchy nut cornflakes.
    They are all bad TBH, I would consider them snacks/junk. Try some porridge or oats & milk. Or oat pancakes. Check this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055002535
    Exercise? Not remotely enough
    I would highly recommend resistance exercise at home, either weights or just bodyweight exercises, there is a lot you can do with a €11 chinup bar.
    Check www.simplefit.org or www.exrx.net for weights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

This thread has been a huge eye opener for me. Will do some more intensive shopping this weekend and let you guys know. Thanks :):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement