Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Openers Ever

Options
  • 10-12-2008 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I've always believed the opening line of a book is one of the most important, and there's nothing like a good corker of an opening to get you into a book. So I was wondering what people's favourite opening lines would be?
    For me, the first sentence of Michael Cox's The Meaning of Night is a classic -

"After killing the red-haired man I took myself off to Quinn's for an oyster supper"

......so many questions already...!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

damselnat wrote: »
    I've always believed the opening line of a book is one of the most important, and there's nothing like a good corker of an opening to get you into a book. So I was wondering what people's favourite opening lines would be?
    For me, the first sentence of Michael Cox's The Meaning of Night is a classic -

"After killing the red-haired man I took myself off to Quinn's for an oyster supper"

......so many questions already...!

There is already a thread for this somewhere in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I could have sworn this was done already...but a site search and a Google revealed nothing...
    Alan Moore wrote:
    Rorschach's journal. October 12th 1985. Dog Carcass in alley this morning. Tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.'

You're left wondering what kind of world you've just stepped into.

Also, given the season,
    Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt about that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It was slightly different...

Best opening paragraphs

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 foolsgold

"The past is like a foreign country, they do things differently there" - The Go Between

Wasn't overly impressed with book, but opening line always stuck with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I know that this isn't technically on topic, but in many of Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse novels, there is a short quotation or factoid before each new chapter.

One that sticks in my mind, is:

"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage and half closed thereafter"-Benjeman Franklin.

And then that particular chapter deals with a couple whose marriage is on the rocks. Great technique and really piques your interest.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs
    began to take hold."- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It has to be the famous opening line to Pride and Prejudice:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Aujourd'hui maman est morte. Ou peut-etre hier, je ne sais pas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

My name is Ishmal

• Advertisement

starn wrote: »
    My name is Ishmal

Isn't it 'Call me Ishmael'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It was inevitable. The scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love. - Love in the Time of Cholera

note: bitter almonds smell like cyanide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Photi wrote: »
    Aujourd'hui maman est morte. Ou peut-etre hier, je ne sais pas.

L'etranger de Camus?

Quel oeuvre fantastique!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

"Since the days of Adam, there has been hardly a mischief done in this world but a woman has been at the bottom of it."
    - William Makepeace Thackeray, Barry Lyndon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

I knew a Father Clint Power once!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

“It was the day my grandmother exploded.”

The Crow Road, Iain Banks

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

"When the phone rang I was in the kitchen, boiling a potful of spaghetti and whistling along with an FM broadcast of the overture to Rossini's The Thieving Magpie which has to be the perfect music for cooking pasta" Murakami - Wind-Up Bird Chronicles

Kafka had some good opening lines too

"When the phone rang I was in the kitchen, boiling a potful of spaghetti and whistling along with an FM broadcast of the overture to Rossini's The Thieving Magpie which has to be the perfect music for cooking pasta" Murakami - Wind-Up Bird Chronicles

I love that book, but I can't say that opening was particularly special for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

jaffa20 wrote: »
    L'etranger de Camus?

Quel oeuvre fantastique!!
    Mais non, je le deteste! :o

We were made do it in college.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

"Where now? Who now? When now?" Beckett - The Unnamable

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold"

Fear and Loathing in Las Vagas, Hunter S. Thompson.

Great opening, straight to the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

GiftofGab wrote: »
    "We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold"

Fear and Loathing in Las Vagas, Hunter S. Thompson.

Great opening, straight to the point

Delighted to see that it appears twice in this short thread, this is what I thought of straight away when I saw the title. Not so much the opening line as the first page and a half. Though unfortunately it may have sent my expectation too high. Just tear out this double-sided page and throw the rest of the book away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Delighted to see that it appears twice in this short thread, this is what I thought of straight away when I saw the title. Not so much the opening line as the first page and a half. Though unfortunately it may have sent my expectation too high. Just tear out this double-sided page and throw the rest of the book away...

Blasphemy !:eek:

The opening to Hells Angels is class too.

"California, Labour Day weekend...early, with ocean fog still in the streets, outlaw motorcyclists wearing chains, shades and greasy Levis roll out from damp garages, all-night diners and cast-off one night pads in Frisco, Hollywood, Berdoo and East Oakland, heading for the Monterey peninsula, north of Big Sur ... The Menace is loose again, the Hell's Angels, the hundred-carat headline, running fast and loud on the early morning freeway, low in the saddle, nobody smiles, jamming crazy through traffic and ninety miles an hour down the centre stripe, missing by inches ... like Genghis Khan on an iron horse, a monster steed with fiery anus, flat out through the eye of a beer can and up your daughter's leg with no quarter asked and none given; show the squares some class, give 'em a whiff of those kicks they'll never know ... Ah , these righteous dudes, they love to screw it on ... Little Jesus, the Gimp, Blind Bob, Gut, Buzzard, Zorro, Hambone, Clean Cut, Tiny, Terry The Tramp, Frenchy, Mouldy Marvin, Mother Miles, Dirty Ed, Chuck the Duck, Fat Freddy, Filthy Phil, Charger Charley the Child Molester, Crazy Cross, Puff, Magoo, Animal and at least a hundred more ... tense for the action, long hair in the wind, beards and bandanas flapping, earrings, armpits, chain whips, swastikas and stripped-down Harleys flashing chrome as traffic on 101 moves over, nervous, to let the formation pass like a burst of dirty thunder ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

"It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured." Shantaram, Gregory David Roberts.

I also love Catch 22's, "It was love at first site. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him." In fact I think I'll re-read that!

A Million Little Pieces' opening sprung to mind as having quite the dramatic opening but had a look and it's a whole paragraph really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orangecake

'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderlay again...'
    Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

In fact the whole first chapter detailing the dream. Sets the tone incredibly. The wild, neglected garden is so foreboding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

"Meyrueis, Lozere, June 26, 1977. Hot and overcast. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafés. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me."

The Rider, Tim Krabbé

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

Albert Camus - The Outsider.

"Mother died today. Or maybe yesterday, I don't know."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

^ The frenchies already mentioned this one in French. Great book but the opening was ok in my opinion.

Definitely +1 to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

For me it has to be:

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul.

Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Loses something in the translation but

"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect."

- Kafka, The Metamorphosis

Advertisement