Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Openers Ever

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I bought metamorphosis believing it was a figurative transformation in that he just became bug-like in his day to day life so you can imagine my surprise on reading the first line of that book:D

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

“Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”

The patronizing mindset of Nick Caraway has been set in The Great Gatsby, from the get-go, an amazing opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

as opening lines go;

Three men at McAlester State Penitentiary had larger penises than Lamar Pye, but all were black and therefore, by Lamar's own figuring, hardly human at all.

was fairly attention grabbing. its from dirty white boys by stephen hunter. an above average cops n robbers thriller type affair.

also

I was 50 years old and hadn't been to bed with a woman for four years.

from bukowski's women

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

"Life sucks. Then you die"- Breaking Dawn (jacobs part):D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

Paul Auster writes good opening lines:

"It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not." - City of Glass

"Six days ago, a man blew himself up by the side of a road in northern Wisconsin." - Leviathan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

john77 wrote: »

"It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not." - City of Glass

That's one of my favourites too, also like John McGahern's "As he weakened, Moran became afraid of his daughters" - Amongst Women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Tawfee wrote: »
    "As he weakened, Moran became afraid of his daughters" - Amongst Women

Thanks, I just had a flashback to the leaving cert, eugh:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

- Genesis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

padraig_f wrote: »

I suppose its good in that it gives a not-so-subtle hint of the utter speculation to come.

Sorry I couldn't resist :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Sean Templar

Rek was drunk.(shortest opening sentence?.)

Legend by david gemmell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

john77 wrote: »
    Paul Auster writes good opening lines:

"Six days ago, a man blew himself up by the side of a road in northern Wisconsin." - Leviathan

Yep and the great intro to The Brooklyn Follies.

'I was looking for a quiet place to die.'

but I also like
    'It was hot as hell in Martirio, but the papers on the porch are icy with the news.' DBC Pierre opens Vernon God Little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I came on here to bitch about the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, but the opening line to the Gunslinger was great. I'm remembering rather than quoting so may not have it verbatim.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunlinger followed"

Downhill from there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Neil Gaiman is very good at openings. The example that springs to mind is

"There was a hand in the dark, and it held a knife."

From The Graveyard Book.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

"In Haddam, summer floats over tree-softened streets like a sweet lotion balm from a careless, languorous God, and the world falls in tune with its own mysterious anthems" - Richard Ford, Independence Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

"I Was there" said Titus Cassar his wavering voice barely reaching the back of the chamber " I was there the day Horus turned his face from the emperor"

Galaxy in Flames
    Ben Counter
    The Horus Heresy

Dunno why but i am really enjoying the Warhammer 40k books at the moment , ^.^

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." -- Anna Karenina

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

padraig_f wrote: »

- Genesis

i thought it was 'In the beginning God created the word '.
    --you live and learn

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

'The sun shone , having no alternative , on the nothing new .'

Samuel Beckett 'Murphy'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

"Burn this book"
    Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

Has to be first line of 100 Days of Solitude.

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

3 distinct times established in the first sentence. And the whole ice thing :p. The entire first chapter of that book is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

i thought it was 'In the beginning God created the word '.
    --you live and learn

If wer going all biblical on it I prefer
    "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Maybe its just because one of my favourite films is called "Ordet" which means "The Word" in Danish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

actually:
    Genesis 1:1
    In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.- Old Testement

John 1:1
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. - New Testement
    Both impressive beginnings, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pintoplain

A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.

Gravity's Rainbow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." (1984)

Advertisement