Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers for poker minded people.

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Having read some recent posts, I thought this might be of interest to some of you.

While most companies are downsizing, Pocket Kings Ltd. is looking for poker players (which applies pretty well to most of you) to staff the security/fraud department.

So, if you’re thinking about a new career you might want to check out a company that has a pretty much unparalleled benefits package.

Job link: http://www.pocketkingscareers.ie/job/fraud_analyst.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Do you work for them already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Was updating me cv and all but the Common sense and need for fluent english put me right off.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hate job ads with no salary guidelines. There is no point ever applying for a job if you find out afterwards that the maximum they would pay is half what you get now for example, and I don't like filling out forms to find out on principle almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Completely agree, I'm half tempted to apply, but I've no idea if my salary expectations are going to be twice what they're willing to pay, if it is I'm not going to bother wasting my time doing up a cover letter etc.

Anyone know roughly how much a position like this would pay?? PM's from someone in the industry if they don't want to post it publicly would be appreciated.

5starpool wrote: »
    I hate job ads with no salary guidelines. There is no point ever applying for a job if you find out afterwards that the maximum they would pay is half what you get now for example, and I don't like filling out forms to find out on principle almost.

Totally agree with this, but very few places seem to give salary guidelines anymore at all. You could ring them and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

This looks like the same job http://www.irishjobs.ie/jobdesc.asp?ID=5824986&MID=3256

Thanks. Yep, that rules that out as a career change then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Thanks. Yep, that rules that out as a career change then.

better then the dole though....

Dunno if its better than the dole olly?
    i mean on da scratcher ya can still play lots of poker and claim to be a professional poker player albeit most on the dole have bigger rolls than yer average pro in dublin anyhow

ollyk1 wrote: »
    better then the dole though....

Absolutely, and if I were just out of college in the last couple of years and unemployed or struggling to find a job it would certainly be far from the worst thing in the world to apply for.

I am not unemployed just yet though (fingers crossed). As a foot on the ladder job there is nothing wrong with it either from my pov personally, but leaving this to go to that is not really a sensible option now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Dunno if its better than the dole olly?
    i mean on da scratcher ya can still play lots of poker and claim to be a professional poker player albeit most on the dole have bigger rolls than yer average pro in dublin anyhow

There are a lot of people calling themselves pros and losing money.

Anyway I dunno if €35 k plus benefits worth perhaps another €5k is to be sniffed at.

But if I was Dom I'd be hanging on for the redundancy first!!

:D:P;)

A guy i play rugby with is a team leader out there works some long hours im sure he gets well paid for it.
    I have no idea of a good wage inc ertain sectors but as u say 35k starting and benefits and oppurtunity for promotions prob better than what most graduates with a degee would start on i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I've applied to these like 3 times over the last 6 weeks and they haven't bothered getting back to me...maybe they don't want recent graduates!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Hi Folks,

While most companies are downsizing, Pocket Kings Ltd. is looking for poker players (which applies pretty well to most of you)
    [/URL]

Lol, you mean pokers players who are busto....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

i think you're doing FTP a serious disservice not mentioning the monkfish Ed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jpr1973

I was going to apply for a software testing job there as i heard the pay is pretty good for that and even more for a programmer but then i said **** that and decided to go contracting for an insurance company instead as the spondooleys were a lot better..

plus the fact if you play poker all night and then have to go in and test poker software all day, i reckon your head would be wrecked.... imagine playing 8 hours of play money poker for a day....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

in the last place I worked pocket kings had some big party with like 400 ppl. They can drink.

Howard lederer was drinking some expensive whiskey at 20 quid a measure which I ran out of so just kept sending him Jameson and charging 20 lids a pop.

He didn't notice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Have to redo CV and apply for job :D

(remember Ed i didn't take any money off you in that cash game the other week)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Rigmincedeal

jpr1973 wrote: »
    I was going to apply for a software testing job there as i heard the pay is pretty good for that and even more for a programmer but then i said **** that and decided to go contracting for an insurance company instead as the spondooleys were a lot better..

plus the fact if you play poker all night and then have to go in and test poker software all day, i reckon your head would be wrecked.... imagine playing 8 hours of play money poker for a day....

Yeah it sounds like it would be nice for a recent graduate i.e me but love poker mayby a bit too much to have it ruined for me after 2 mths working there testing it. Stil might look into it and see what the story is

What would you need to have in a portfolio for a job with these guys? I have never submitted a portfolio for anything before and I'm not even 100% sure what one is to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Would have looked good except for i packed in the business course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I've applied to these like 3 times over the last 6 weeks and they haven't bothered getting back to me...maybe they don't want recent graduates!?

Chin up, I don't think they are after our sort. PM if need explanation.

Advertisement