Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance - am I covered?

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

My car insurance is due for renewal on the 14th of December....the quote a got from my insurance this year is way too high IMO (higher than the previous year :eek: ) taking in consideration that I have 13-years free of claims....I got a quote from another insurance but it's only 10€ lower, I wouldn't bother to switch for 10€.

However I decide to run a bluff on my current insurance, I have now sent an email telling them that I want to cancel my current policy because I got xxx quote from another insurance which is way better (note that xxx is a made up quote of 20% less of the original quote my car insurance gave me.). They haven't responded yet, so my question is, suppose this negotiation goes into next week before I pay, will I be covered on the days ie 15th, 16th, etc?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

As far as i know you are covered for 12 days after your policy ends, for reasons exactly like this I imagine. Thats with Quinn Direct but surely they all have much the same type of system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

Ring them instead of emails.

Are people afraid to ring people nowdays.

I don't think you will be covered

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ITMissy

Shop around some more. Insure.ie give you a good few options at a good price

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Days of grace vary co. to co. and only apply if you renew. Ring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I will give them a ring - I shopped around last year and my insurance (Allianzdirect) was the cheapest around for my requirements, with AXA close second. The fact that they didn't put down the insurance cost this year for me (as they did every previous year) but instead increased it of 12€ is simply annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Did you say they increased it by €12?

But you said in your previous post, you wouldn't switch for €10 saving... why bother going to these lengths for €12?

I do have a feeling I've misunderstood though.

Have you tried Hibernian.ie, they gave me a good quote online the other day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring them and tell them you got the cheaper quote, there is always the possibility they will ask for proof of same though ;).

Did you ring a couple of brokers, they do some good deals!

You see, last year i shopped around and AXA gave me a quote 40€ lower than Allianz, when I told this to Allianz they agreed to match AXA's quote.....this year AXA gave me a quote of only 10€ less, but I was hoping for something lower.

Any other insurance company apart from these two was giving me much higher quotes :(

At the end of the day I am looking to insure an old Fiat Punto 1.1cc with no real value (apart from sentimental value :D ), and the 470€ quote I got seem high to me (note 13 years no claim and 1 named driver with full Irish licence).

On insure.ie the lower I got is 454€. I am aiming for something around 400€/year, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me as I heard several of my colleagues insuring bigger cars for lower price :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

You only have days of grace if you do eventually renew with your current insurer, if you get insured with someone else a week later, your policy is lapsed from your renewal date, so if your stopped or in an accident you'll have no choice but to renew with your current insurer.

You say you have earned a maximum no claims bonus(usually 5 years) so in theory you have the maximum discount you can get therefore your premium should be at a point where its not goin to get much lower no matter how many more years claims free driving.

Thing is it looks like insurance companies didn't make enough money last year because there has been rate increases across the board so far this year and more next year which probably explains your increase this year.

Only solution is to shop around or use a broker to do it for you. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TripleAce wrote: »
    You see, last year i shopped around and AXA gave me a quote 40€ lower than Allianz, when I told this to Allianz they agreed to match AXA's quote.....this year AXA gave me a quote of only 10€ less, but I was hoping for something lower.

Any other insurance company apart from these two was giving me much higher quotes :(

At the end of the day I am looking to insure an old Fiat Punto 1.1cc with no real value (apart from sentimental value :D ), and the 470€ quote I got seem high to me (note 13 years no claim and 1 named driver with full Irish licence).

On insure.ie the lower I got is 454€. I am aiming for something around 400€/year, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me as I heard several of my colleagues insuring bigger cars for lower price :mad:

One thing I found out is if you have a cheap car they load your premium. Try other places and value the car at EUR4000, they'll only pay out book value anyway but it will drop a bit off the quote.

I heard recently that all insurance prices are going to be going up from now on, the days of cheap insurance are ending. Can any one confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Your policy expires on the 14th Dec, you won't be on cover with them after that date unless you pay your premium. You don't get 12 days grace !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭That Girl..

I work in an insurance company and they can't cancel your insurance without notifying you first.

You also may need proof that you got a lower quote and they mightn't always match it either but considering you have 13 years NCB they might lower it for you as you are less likely to make a claim..

They will hold cover if you ensure them that you are going to renew with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I work in an insurance company and they can't cancel your insurance without notifying you first.
    It's not cancellation if it expires though, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭That Girl..

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's not cancellation if it expires though, is it?

Sorry, no.. What i meant was they will ring you when your cover expires.
    Like you will be notified if you have no cover..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I can imagine this panning out very badly....

"I know I've rear-ended your brand new 7 series, and it looks like my policy is expired, but you see I was told on Boards.ie that I was covered for 12 days after my policy expires etc. etc."

Don't expect an insurance company to help you out if your policy is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

If you e-mailed them telling them you want to cancel/don't want to renew the policy, I don't see how you would be covered. You told them not to renew the policy...

I got a quote of 327€ from insure.ie!!!!! :)

THANK YOU GUYS!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I got a crazy qoute aswell from my insurace company this year....

So I compared all prices and for my surprise AIB insurance came up the cheapest...actually beating my current insurer by 300 euro no less....

Called my current insurer and he imediately said would he would reduce the qoute by 200 that I recieved in the post this is without me mentioning anything, then I started too haggle and got it too match aib's qoute....

Basically never accept the qoute the send u cause its always way over priced....ring them....it makes a world of difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

eh if you sent them an email saying ' i want to cancel my insurance' then you need to ring them immedietely as they might have cancelled your insurance

the chances of them taking your email and actually cancelling the policy is unlikely but definitely possible

the insurance 'sales men' do have discretion but if they gave you the reduction last year they probably dont have any discretion left this year

13 years no claims means nothing to be honest after 6(iirc) its all the same

you can definitely expect premiums to rise in the next while and your lucky axa is your cheapest quote that isnt the case for many(indeed they are always regarded as the most expensive) you have as good cover and probably better service as you are going to get in this country

edit; and you wont be covered after the renewal date without paying for the cover obviously

• Advertisement

My insurance with Allianz is over on the 14th of December....then from the 14th I have the new insurance and therefore won't be renewing with Allianz.
    I guess if a don't renew with Allianz no further action is needed on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Terra wrote: »
    So I compared all prices and for my surprise AIB insurance came up the cheapest...actually beating my current insurer by 300 euro no less....
    Insurance companies profits are waaaaay down on previous years, historicly claims rise in a recession (construction claims are starting to increase ;)) so next year expect all insurances to start rising, the day of phoning around & getting lower quotes matched are coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

TripleAce wrote: »
    My insurance with Allianz is over on the 14th of December....then from the 14th I have the new insurance and therefore won't be renewing with Allianz.
    I guess if a don't renew with Allianz no further action is needed on my side.

If you paid in full last year in one go, then yes, you do not have to do anything. Policy will lapse.

If you paid by a Direct Debit each month then the Direct Debit instruction will stay open and money will be debited from you account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

Muzzy wrote: »
    If you paid in full last year in one go, then yes, you do not have to do anything. Policy will lapse.

If you paid by a Direct Debit each month then the Direct Debit instruction will stay open and money will be debited from you account.

Muzzy is correct.

Also remind that the cheapest quote isn't the best quote.

Should always look at the extra and T&C.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Insurance co's can give a 20% discount without approval from a supervisor. Ive saved several hundred euro's pitting the insurance company against themselves :D

antodeco wrote: »
    Insurance co's can give a 20% discount without approval from a supervisor.

Really?

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mariemar***

Hi all
    Don't know if this is altogether relevant to this thread but here goes -
    On a roundabout, on the way to work one morning, another driver approached, from my left & rammed the side of my car. I had seen her coming was not possible to avoid her. I swerved slightly minimising the impact to an extent. She then pulled away & continued on her way as if nothing had happened! Luckilly I had passengers in the car who got the reg & managed to report to the Gardai. They located the driver & she claimed full liability, advising she would pay for the damage. Luckily none of us were injured, apart from my driving confidence being shaken for a while as I had never been involved in an accident prior to this. The damage could have been worse & I have now gotten a quote from a panel beater to approach the driver with. She is not going through her insurance - advised will pay outright. I want to keep it strictly in writing & not speak to her by phone or in person.

Can anyone who has been in a similar position provide a letter draft or some advise which would assist in my contact with the other driver?

Thanks.

Can anyone who has been in a similar position provide a letter draft or some advise which would assist in my contact with the other driver?

Thanks.

I would just call her company and claim from them, If she wants to keep her insurance record clean then that's her own business, not yours.

All's she's gotta do is pay her company back if she wants to keep her insurance history clean.

You owe her nothing, remember she drove off on you and the only reason she admitted liability is bacause the guards found her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mariemar***

That is true - I'm trying to avoid, where possible, having it go to court. I just don't have the time for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Muzzy wrote: »
    I would just call her company and claim from them, If she wants to keep her insurance record clean then that's her own business, not yours.

All's she's gotta do is pay her company back if she wants to keep her insurance history clean.

You owe her nothing, remember she drove off on you and the only reason she admitted liability is bacause the guards found her.

Yeah **** that bitch, go and get her policy number and claim off her insurance company directly, use a registered repairer get the full works done. Don't be nice to some cow who tried to get away with it, the cheek of her!

Advertisement