Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance - am I covered?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

That is true - I'm trying to avoid, where possible, having it go to court. I just don't have the time for that!

It won't go to court.

Call her company, send them the bill, she admitted liability. Nothing to contest so no court cases involved, her insurance company will prefer to give you a cheque rather than going to court, alot cheaper for them.

Get your cheque and let her worry about everything after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mariemar***

Thanks for that both of you -

I was really misadvised by the garda who I spoke to which leads me to think he may actually know the other driver - this happened in a relatively rural area where 'everyone knows everyone' sort of thing.

I'd now be inclined to go with your advice as in reiterated that of numerous other people I have spoken to about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Thanks for that both of you -

I was really misadvised by the garda who I spoke to which leads me to think he may actually know the other driver - this happened in a relatively rural area where 'everyone knows everyone' sort of thing.

I'd now be inclined to go with your advice as in reiterated that of numerous other people I have spoken to about it.

The Garda should have given her, penalty points and a court summons for leaving the scene of an accident like the way she did.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

id give her one chance to pay in cash up front and in full but i would ring her and not write to her as that will take ages and she has the excuse of dragging it out by waiting a few weeks to respond to a letter

if she is not able to pay by say...the end of next week then ring her insurance and follow muzzys advice if she wants to keep her bonus she just has to pay them back however this will drag it out longer than ringing her and getting the money straight off her if she is willing to do that

as muzzy said, it wont go to court....not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi all
    Don't know if this is altogether relevant to this thread but here goes -
    On a roundabout, on the way to work one morning, another driver approached, from my left & rammed the side of my car. I had seen her coming was not possible to avoid her. I swerved slightly minimising the impact to an extent. She then pulled away & continued on her way as if nothing had happened! Luckilly I had passengers in the car who got the reg & managed to report to the Gardai. They located the driver & she claimed full liability, advising she would pay for the damage. Luckily none of us were injured, apart from my driving confidence being shaken for a while as I had never been involved in an accident prior to this. The damage could have been worse & I have now gotten a quote from a panel beater to approach the driver with. She is not going through her insurance - advised will pay outright. I want to keep it strictly in writing & not speak to her by phone or in person.

Can anyone who has been in a similar position provide a letter draft or some advise which would assist in my contact with the other driver?

Thanks.

Don't forget you are also entitled to all expenses when your car is in for repair. Get a decent hire car and bill her for it. Tell her this when you call her, so she can't wiggle out of it. And if she says anything just hang up and call her insurance. I'm all for karma but she did leave the scene of an accident, so get all you can off her. She may stop next time she hits someone if it cost her €€€€'s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Muzzy wrote: »
    If you paid in full last year in one go, then yes, you do not have to do anything. Policy will lapse.

If you paid by a Direct Debit each month then the Direct Debit instruction will stay open and money will be debited from you account.

Always pay in full via CC ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭illegalmidget

i work in a broker and it is SO annoying when people ring up and say..
    Oh my insurance has gone up 11 or 12 euro since last year and then they want to cancel because of it!!
    Like what do people want? for you insuance to get cheaper EVERY year?
    then eventually your insurance will be zero?
    once you have 5 years no claims bonus (that is the most u can get)
    your insurance will stay around the same price (although may vairy in a few euro)
    but these days the rates have gone up a few euro on most policies due to the resession!
    wanting to cancel your policy over 12euro is a bit over the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭illegalmidget

Del2005 wrote: »
    One thing I found out is if you have a cheap car they load your premium. Try other places and value the car at EUR4000, they'll only pay out book value anyway but it will drop a bit off the quote.

I heard recently that all insurance prices are going to be going up from now on, the days of cheap insurance are ending. Can any one confirm this?

Value make NO difference to a quote

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Value make NO difference to a quote

Well every where I put in a low price the quote was higher then a high price:confused: And if value doesn't make any difference then why bother asking? Granted it wasn't huge amounts but enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

Like what do people want? for you insuance to get cheaper EVERY year?
    then eventually your insurance will be zero?
    Yes. Why you are surprised? There are people who woudn't insure their cars at all if it wasn't forced by the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Is it common now for a company, on renewal of someones policy, to stick with their renewal price? I got offered renewal of €821 by Quinn, so i've shopped around a bit and 123.ie came up with €727. I just rang Quinn now and informed them that I have got a competitive offer from another co and the girl I spoke to said that they don't match quotes! Even when I add full protection to the 123.ie quote it comes to €809, which also has driving other cars extension.

Is she just being stubborn? I said that I wanted to pay the lump off with my CC this time, instead of DD which I did this year. I told her i'll be in touch if I want to renew.

I reckon i'll be changing if this is the case!

Advertisement