Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install New HDD

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi there, I have built my own PC and i wish to add an extra HDD. My Mobo is a Intel D975BX. I have 4 SATA port (Black) from diagram below FF and CC which are all used with 2 HDD and 2 DVD players. Now i went away and got another SATA HDD thinking i had 4 more SATA ports (Blue) shown on diagram below as JJ that i could connect to.

Now anytime I connect my HDD to the JJ part of the board, the computer freezes when I turn it on? Is there something I am missing, Is it possible to use there port or are they for RAID configuration?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

kryan1 wrote: »
    Hi there, I have built my own PC and i wish to add an extra HDD. My Mobo is a Intel D975BX. I have 4 SATA port (Black) from diagram below FF and CC which are all used with 2 HDD and 2 DVD players. Now i went away and got another SATA HDD thinking i had 4 more SATA ports (Blue) shown on diagram below as JJ that i could connect to.

Now anytime I connect my HDD to the JJ part of the board, the computer freezes when I turn it on? Is there something I am missing, Is it possible to use there port or are they for RAID configuration?

It looks like those ports are connected to a seperate sata controller (the 4 you have in use are connected to the southbridge- the ICH9R). That shouldn't be a major problem in itself, though.

First thing is to check if the separate controller is disabled in the bios menu. If it is, then enable it. Other than that, there will probably be a raid screen after the bios splash screen which will allow you to configure the controller - set it to JBOD mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

First thing is to check if the separate controller is disabled in the bios menu. If it is, then enable it. Other than that, there will probably be a raid screen after the bios splash screen which will allow you to configure the controller - set it to JBOD mode.

Daveharnett many thanks for your reply,

Tried checking this and i couln't find anything disabled. i entered the raid Bios splash screen and again all i could see was the drives that were always there. I could not see any option to set it to JBOD?
    thanks kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

i am having the same problem as the guy in this link. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/196919-32-sata-problems-intel-d975xbx-mobo

thanks

Kevin

Advertisement