Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wipers screeching -driving me mad!

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi guys having a problem with my windscreen wipers. they were only 2 months old and began to screech horribly. Admittedly they were cheap bout €20 for the 3 of them. So bought new ones specifically sized for passenger and drivers on my primeria bout €15 each but after a week began to screech again. Any one with any ideas of what may be causing this and how to stop/prevent it? I need to fix it soon esp with our weather! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Put a small bit of WD40 oil onto the rubber wiper blade

That should do the trick..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Truck wrote: »
    Put a small bit of WD40 oil onto the rubber wiper blade

That should do the trick..

think that will make streaks in the wet no ??

i would give the windscreen a good cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Are they on upside down maybe?

When i replaced mine I had the the wrong way around and they squeeked a lot. Turned them around and they don't squeek anymore. Dunno why it makes such a difference but might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

They will bed in - they are still relatively new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

During the very cold weather I find mine tend to squeek a little also.Dunno if that's any bearing?

• Advertisement

Wipe the blades down with a rag and windex or even vineger.

You might be surprised the gunk that comes off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Are they on upside down maybe?

When i replaced mine I had the the wrong way around and they squeeked a lot. Turned them around and they don't squeek anymore. Dunno why it makes such a difference but might be worth a try.

ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Most of the time the problem with screeching wipers is the wiper arms. When the wiper is fitted to the arm, it should be at right angles to the screen. If its not, then you must twist the arm until the wiper is at 90 degrees. The easiest way to do this is with a vise-grips or a pliers close to where the wiper is mounted and twist a small bit each time until you achieve the correct angle. Don't overdo it or you'll break the arm !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

the problem is youre glass mate - i had the same problem drove me nuts.
    do this and you will have no more schreeching:

Wash glass thoroughly
    dry and apply vinegar with tissue
    Apply this to your dry clean glass and buff it off
    also use the wipes on your wipers it will strip off heaps of dirt

No more noisy windows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

greglo23 wrote: »
    . When the wiper is fitted to the arm, it should be at right angles to the screen. If its not, then you must twist the arm until the wiper is at 90 degrees.

Sorry, I'm lost what do you mean at right angle to the screen?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement