Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joys of CCTV

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭

Woke up Monday morning to find this

3097958580_ffeec6f874.jpg?v=0

Needless to say I was not a happy bunny.:mad:

Called into the managers office of the apt. building where I live to find they had it all on CCTV, once again I was not happy watching some little ****** putting his boot to my car.:mad::mad:

Happily though they were able to identify said ****** so they put the squeeze on him and I just had the immeasurable joy of ringing him to let him know he would be paying for it or would be getting a nice visit from our friends in blue.:cool::cool:

So can anyone recommend a quality panel beater in the Northside of Dublin, Dublin 9 if possible? (Cost isn't an issue :pac:) Is the panel fubar or do you reckon it can be popped out?

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I just had the immeasurable joy of ringing him to let him know he would be paying for it or would be getting a nice visit from our friends in blue.

Result!

It doesn't look as though the paint is cracked, so it might just pop out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I would contact one of those paintless dent removal companies, the paint is not cracked so they may be able to remove it, worth a try instead of replacing the panel and a respray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Nice to see a bit of justice.........

Now ........ try to fleece the little runt ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Well done catching him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Try to get your own dvd copy of said ruffian damaging your car - in case he doesn't pay up and you have to go to the cops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Panel looks a bit fooked imo... A lot of different ripples in to it take out, even tho the paint isnt broken a good bodyshop will prob replace it.

I know they're not Northside, but Smith and Branagan in Lucan are quality merchants, we deal with them alot, and they're nice and expensive too! :pac:

Well done on catchin the little c*nt

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice catch :)

How did you identify him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The shut line with the door looks off (to me anyway) plus theres a few dents on the panel. Prob be a new panel to get it fully repaired though. Very irritating to say the least but I'd say the immesurable pleasure of ringing the dude has to help:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Needless to say I was not a happy bunny.:mad:

Called into the managers office of the apt. building where I live to find they had it all on CCTV, once again I was not happy watching some little ****** putting his boot to my car.:mad::mad:

Happily though they were able to identify said ****** so they put the squeeze on him and I just had the immeasurable joy of ringing him to let him know he would be paying for it or would be getting a nice visit from our friends in blue.:cool::cool:

So can anyone recommend a quality panel beater in the Northside of Dublin, Dublin 9 if possible? (Cost isn't an issue :pac:) Is the panel fubar or do you reckon it can be popped out?

Cheers lads.

Telephone conversation transcript please :(

- Was there any crying or threatening to pull his spindly legs off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

once again I was not happy watching some little ****** putting his boot to my car.:mad::mad:

Sorry did he do this with his foot by kicking it or with the boot of his car?

well done for catching him.well the karma police will get him anyway i'm sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Only the panel beater will be able to tell you if it is repairable. Anyway, its easier and faster along with cheaper to replace the panel. Better job in the long run too, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

unkel wrote: »
    Nice catch :)

How did you identify him?

It's campus accommodation, I'm still a smelly student for another 6 months, so the girls in the office were able to help me out, I've done a bit of work there in the past. The threat of his college or parents being informed was enough for him to admit to it having been confronted with the CCTV footage.

Made it very clear to him on the phone that not only would the boys in blue be paying a visit but I knew where he lived and where he studied. So I'm going to get a quote, the management office will ensure he pays up by holding those threats over him,then go get the panel fixed/replaced.

It really is worth following these things up, having no luck with this car at the moment, got broken into about 8 months ago. Once again I followed it up with the Guards and they got the guy.

joeperry wrote: »
    Sorry did he do this with his foot by kicking it or with the boot of his car?

Kind of took a run at it and put his boot there, *****. You can make out the boot print when actually looking at the car, not in the photo.
    Raiser wrote:
    Telephone conversation transcript please

- Was there any crying or threatening to pull his spindly legs off?

I find in these situations the less said the better, made it clear though that it would be in his best interests not try screw me over.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Don't bother with dentmasters for that, it is too big and you will always be able to tell. Get a proper repair done at the pr!cks expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Only the panel beater will be able to tell you if it is repairable. Anyway, its easier and faster along with cheaper to replace the panel. Better job in the long run too, imo.

I think if it can be pushed out (and the art of panel beating is an impressive one), you are better off. Less chance of corrosion into the future.

it looks like an easy one to my untrained eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Bigkev what type of car is it? looks like the rear quarter panel which is the hardest to repair if i'm correct?

maidhc wrote: »
    I think if it can be pushed out (and the art of panel beating is an impressive one), you are better off. Less chance of corrosion into the future.

it looks like an easy one to my untrained eye.

Going to e-mail it to a panel beater mate of mine at home and see what he says.
    joeperry wrote: »
    Bigkev what type of car is it? looks like the rear quarter panel which is the hardest to repair if i'm correct?

Its a Vectra B. Drivers side rear quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Highly recommend John Sheehan 0863005522 based down off Ansley Road. Absolute craftsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

The threat of his college or parents being informed was enough for him to admit to it having been confronted with the CCTV footage.

Sorry to hear about the hassle you've had with the car.
    Did he even apologise or offer any explanation??

:eek::eek:

Main dealer gave a preliminary quote of €1500 for parts and labour based on the pictures shown above. He reckoned that a good bodyshop would be looking for about €600 to sort it.

Which puts me in a bit of a dilemma. €1500 could be twice the value of what the car is worth. Even though it's not my money it would be a bit silly to put that much cash into a car in parts....
    :confused::confused:

Opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

So this guy wrote your car off then?!

Get him to pay up or contribute towards your new car.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

:eek::eek:

Main dealer gave a preliminary quote of €1500 for parts and labour based on the pictures shown above. He reckoned that a good bodyshop would be looking for about €600 to sort it.

Which puts me in a bit of a dilemma. €1500 could be twice the value of what the car is worth. Even though it's not my money it would be a bit silly to put that much cash into a car in parts....
    :confused::confused:

Opinions?

Get a grand for the car off him and keep your car until you finish college, then get him to thank you for not going to the cops. Then have a holiday :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

give MotoWorld a ring, they are in D.17, but excellent work to be had up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

new panel in my opinion, it's bent on a crease... will be hard to knock out and wont be perfect when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Id go with Ferris - the car is not worth putting a new panel on. Take a grand and get it fixed if you want or just keep the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Oh my god the satisfaction you must have got out of that phone call will probably last you a lifetime!!!! Congrats

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd take the cash and get a panel beater to bang it out to the approximate shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

MarkR wrote: »
    I'd take the cash and get a panel beater to bang it out to the approximate shape.

And then fill with Isopon (with a trowel if needs be), and will look perfect and last the lifetime of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The fact that its an old car makes all the difference here. I thought it was new from the pic.
    get three quotes, middle, middle & expensive and agree a figure with scumbag, If its a tidy car get a decent bodyshop to fix it for a few hundred. I wouldnt go changing a quarter panel on any car unless totally unavoidable and certainly not on your cheap car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mickdw wrote: »
    The fact that its an old car makes all the difference here. I thought it was new from the pic.
    get three quotes, middle, middle & expensive and agree a figure with scumbag, If its a tidy car get a decent bodyshop to fix it for a few hundred. I wouldnt go changing a quarter panel on any car unless totally unavoidable and certainly not on your cheap car.

don't waste your time - your car, you pick the repair cost - go for the highest, and he can be done for malicious damage as well, let's not forget....he might want to bear that in mind while he gets the cash from the ATM.

No cheques or drafts, either.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement