Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf dash problems

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Just bought a 03 1.9 litre Golf of a private car dealer yesterday. She is comfort range, only 49K miles, timing belt done, recently serviced and new tyres on front. She cost 9600 euro. First of all...I thought this was a good price...what do you think?

My first trip with her was from Ballina to Galway yesterday evening and I noticed that the engine service light was on...at least I think thats what it was. She was about 1/3 full of diesel and I put 20 euro into here on the way. Then when I started her the engine service light was no longer on and was not on this morning either? Any ideas what the issue is here?

Also I noticed yesterday evening and again this morning that the dash board backlights go off for about 1 or 2 seconds sometimes. Not very often but I noticed it once or twice.

She has been lying in the sales yard for about 5 months like a lot of cars...maybe there is a connection problem in the dash due to weather??
    I will call the dealer this evening to report the problems, other than that she is running smoothly. I have not paid the full price for her yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not meaning to be negative, but is there any way you can back out of the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Its hardly that serious is it? The dash board lights is probably a switch issue?? this could be related to the service light being on?? I will ring the dealer this evening anyway, I have only paid a small deposit on her. I know the dealer and I don't think he is the kind of person who would screw you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

The service indicator just has to be reset. It's not a big deal. Do a google and you will find how to reset it. It should also be in your user manual.The MKIV has a few common problems, dunno if yours has suffered any yet, but time will tell.Bring it back to the dealer and get him to sort them out before you part with the balance

Good luck with it.

I have to say, I think €9,600 is crazy money for a Mk4 Golf, even a low mileage one in absolutely perfect condition. The one you're talking about has a warning light on and an electrical problem, and that's just what you've seen on the first day. The used car market has collapsed recently, you should be able to get much more than that for your budget. For what it's worth, the Mk4 Golf is probably the most overvalued used car on the market. All IMO, of course.:)

Anan1 wrote: »
    I have to say, I think €9,600 is crazy money for a Mk4 Golf, even a low mileage one in absolutely perfect condition. The one you're talking about has a warning light on and an electrical problem, and that's just what you've seen on the first day. The used car market has collapsed recently, you should be able to get much more than that for your budget. All IMO, of course.:)

Do others agree with this? I saw the same type of Golf but with 70K miles on-sale in S&R in Donegal town for 12900 at the weekend. Checking all the used car sales online 10,000 was the cheapest I found for this type of car and they had much higher milage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There were dash pod issues with vw/audi around those years relating to the gauges doing weird things. The lighting might have been an issue too not sure. Im not even sure if golfs were affected but if it is this problem, its expensive enough to put right. Originially the only solution was a new dash pod but there is an english company repairing them now. I would be sure your dealer fixes this before the deal goes any further.
    Also, Is it service light or engine management light that coming on? Im sure it is management light as the service reminder would stay on. If it is the engine management, There is something wrong that needs sorting and dont take any sh1t from dealer about it being no harm. Ive heard dealers saying stuff like "At that age its hard to keep those lights off" and its no harm at all.
    Also ensure that if dealer gets this light turned off that its still functioning correctly i.e. comes on on startup for a few seconds and then goes off.
    The price seems v expensive to me also. Maybe you were trading in, that might explain it.

Here are a few I pulled off carzone, the first is private and the other three are dealers:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1261234

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1264333

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1266551

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1248372

Bear in mind that we don't know the mileage on the last one, i'd expect it to be high. I'd see no harm in offering €10,000 for any of the others, see what they say. Don't underestimate how weak the market is at the moment, deals are being done that would have been unthinkable in January. Also remember that the above is just the results from 5 minutes rooting - spend the time and i'm sure you'll find better.

I think its probably the engine management light but I will check it in the manual this evening. Its working OK now (coming on for a few seconds then going off) I will def damand that the dealer sorts out issues before the deals goes ahead.
    I crashed my old car, the dealer collected it at the scene (30 miles away) and is storing it at his garage until the insurance has a look at it. That was inclusive in the price of the new car

Glenman wrote: »
    I crashed my old car, the dealer collected it at the scene (30 miles away) and is storing it at his garage until the insurance has a look at it. That was inclusive in the price of the new car
    I don't like the sound of that at all, TBH. Why didn't the ins. co. collect it?

Service light would prob be a spanner whereas management looks like an engine.
    Ive seen before where cars that have been left sitting for a while will show the management light.

• Advertisement

Who insurance...mine or the other party involved? The accident was not my fault. I was driving along doing 55 mph and saw a car coming in the opposite direction stopped in the traffic island indicating to turn right. I took no notice of it. When I was about 40 yrds away from her SHE (who was about 70) proceeded to make the turn and cut across in front of me. She then paniced and stopped in the middle of the lane. There was aother car coming in the opposite direction so I could not swing across the road to avoid her, I had to go straight into her. Bad damage to the front of my car (not worth repairing as she is a 97) and bad damage to the passenger side of her car. I was not taking to her as she was in shock and taken away in ambulance, I am not sure if she admitted liability or not. I just contacted my insurance (Quinn) told them what happened and they are dealing with here insurance (AXA)
    Hard to know how it will go.

mickdw wrote: »
    Service light would prob be a spanner whereas management looks like an engine.
    Ive seen before where cars that have been left sitting for a while will show the management light.

Yes its the management light so...that sounds about right, she was sitting for 5 months and the managment light is working as normal today.

The way that should work is that your ins co collects your car, provides you with a rental for a set period, stores your car, has it seen by an assessor, sells it on if written off, pays you, and then reclaims the money from the other party's insurance. The garage you're considering buying a car from should have nothing to do with any of this. For that matter nor should you, if the car's written off then it's the insurance cos property (and problem).

Its normal enough for your garage to collect & store a damaged car (in rural areas at least) until all is sorted however, the insurance will be paying him for the trip and also a flat rate storage of 150 euro or so if I remember correctly so that should have no bearing on sale price. You are therefore a cash buyer.

Thanks for the advice and tips

Advertisement