Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games to play one handed...

Options
  • 10-12-2008 1:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭

... and no I don't mean while whacking one out!

It seems just like every time around this time of year I manage to break my thumb. At least I was sober this time and didn't fall out of a christmas tree. So anyone got any suggestions? All I've come up with are a few saturn games thanks to the big fat arcade buttons on the controller. It's my right hand by the way.

:'(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This screams 'Wii' all over it...

Or a LOT of older flight sims. Used to play Terminal Reality on a 2 button joystick for hours on end, all you needed was afterburner and the fire button. :D

On that note, used to play Descent as well via the same method....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

geometry wars is doable 1 handed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

On PC you could play racing games - W,A,S,D controls
    Strategy games (learn to play lefty :D)
    Puzzle / Casual games - Peggle, Bookworm, Flash games, etc.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Slow-paced strategy games, or JRPGs.

Heck, there's even a controller for this: The ASCII Grip. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good call, what about turn based titles - like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars via emulation? Do you have a phone - check out Ancient Empires and Ancient Empires 2, basically medieval Advance Wars complete with skirmish options with multiple AI opoonents. Epic, kept me gaming for weeks. Especially if you had an N95 or similar to connect to your TV, I actually played a few games this way and felt like I was back in the good old days of the 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Valkrya Chronicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

If its just the thumb on your right hand then play fighting games (or any other games you choose) using an arcade stick. Left hand for the stick and fingers on the right for the buttons, the thumb is unused.

A Christmas spent playing Super Turbo, what else could you want? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kingdom Hearts 2....heh

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Guitar Hero World Tour drums on easy. Very few double handed notes (early on anyway)

Lips - hows your singing voice? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Audiosurf on the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr E wrote: »
    Guitar Hero World Tour drums on easy. Very few double handed notes (early on anyway)

Lips - hows your singing voice? :)

Can't sing a note. Think the worst thing is I can't play my real guitar now so will have to break out Guitar Hero 3, I need to get used to using the 5 fret buttons.

PC games is some good advice. I can use a mouse so I think some left 4 dead is in order. Slow strategy games and JRPGs as well are good advice. Valkyria Chronicles isn't getting enough love :)

Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I played and finished Doom 3 and Half Life 2 on PC with a broken elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

End War. Just get yourself a microphone and the game does the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

play some Close Combat 3 or X-COM: UFO Enemy Unknown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Break out Pokemon Fire Red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Auvers wrote: »
    ... X-COM: UFO Enemy Unknown

+1

was playing this over the weekend lying in bed, tv remote in other hand watching the football

oh and Trails 2 aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

Read a book? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

If you have a DS most games on that just use the pen. Pheonix Wright is a legend of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Rock, Paper, Scissors ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Good call, what about turn based titles - like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars via emulation? Do you have a phone - check out Ancient Empires and Ancient Empires 2, basically medieval Advance Wars complete with skirmish options with multiple AI opoonents. Epic, kept me gaming for weeks. Especially if you had an N95 or similar to connect to your TV, I actually played a few games this way and felt like I was back in the good old days of the 90's.
    Sins of a Solar Empire is 99% of the time a 2 click game. And Brilliant.

Surprised nobody has suggested ****-darts: go for bull!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Z : steel soldiers or Red Alert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My friend just gave me deus ex and it's an absolute sin I haven't played it and system shock 2 yet. Sounds like a good excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

... get off Boards & redeem yourself.
    Do it.
    Do it now! :pac:

(don't forget the HDTP, too)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

which hand is it?
    either of the 360.ps3 controlers can be placed on your lap/thigh and you can play with one hand as normal and the other from a strange above keyboard almost position

mayordenis wrote: »
    which hand is it?
    either of the 360.ps3 controlers can be placed on your lap/thigh and you can play with one hand as normal and the other from a strange above keyboard almost position

Only works with games that don't use the shoulder buttons and the buttons are a little small. The gorgeous saturn pad is much better for this.

My friend gave me HDTP as well but he hasn't tried it himself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Waverace on the N64 was a quality 1 handed game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My friend just gave me deus ex and it's an absolute sin I haven't played it and system shock 2 yet. Sounds like a good excuse.

Play through the pain. It's worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Most of the Japanese dating sims are designed for one handed play. Have fun!

Play through the pain. It's worth it!

I did the last two days but have a cast now. Can't play FPS games because I have to hold the mouse awkwardly which hurts :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

tregan wrote: »
    Read a book? :D

Booo!
    rizzla wrote: »
    Rock, Paper, Scissors ;)

Or even better - Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock! (cultural references :D)

🤪

Advertisement